1954 New Yorker Wagon

Guest BJM

Guest tboldstuff

tail-lights and the two on each side potmetal crome below the taillights - very hard to find parts. Anything to do with the tailgate are unqiue including the wood inside. I have a 51 NY wagon 331 eng. firepower. Unrestored, tough shape also. bought it and parked it. My 52 desoto wagon 276 eng firedome is getting my focus to make it a driver - if the 54 has a solid body - 2000. not bad, to add the v8 and tranny missing - but can find one from a car. There are some on craigs list in my area. Also the V means there was a baby hemi in that car - Well hope this helps!

Edited by tboldstuff (see edit history)

The rear fenders and rear doors are also unique to the wagons, possibly the rear bumper. Gas tanks, I believe, are unique to these wagons. I once had a parts car wagon that was practically identical to this one, color & all.

• 6 months later...

I have a 54 Desoto Firedome wagon. All those Body parts will interchange. The 4 doors are the same as a '51 & '52 sedan I believe. I was lucky enough to find a NOS gas tank, after I sent my original to "Gas Tank Renue" I installed the NOS tank. Also found a NOS windshield in Olathe Kansas.

If you want, check out this article in the Allpar on line magazine. Car of the Month, October 2009: John Baker's 1954 Desoto Estate Wagon

I felt good when he approached me about this.

You are right on the windshield. I didn't think to mention that when the headliner was out I could see where the weld was made about 6-8 inches behind the windshield to mate the body to what ever front end was used.The part # for the R&L front door shells #1528390 & 391 is the same for '51 & 52 Desoto/ Chrysler & '53 & '54 Chrysler & Desoto estate wagons.I was also lucky enough to run across a NOS tailgate, and nos doors. I have them in the loft and hope I never need them.

Edited by John baker (see edit history)

You are right on the windshield. I didn't think to mention that when the headliner was out I could see where the weld was made about 6-8 inches behind the windshield to mate the body to what ever front end was used.The part # for the R&L front door shells #1528390 & 391 is the same for '51 & 52 Desoto/ Chrysler & '53 & '54 Chrysler & Desoto estate wagons.I was also lucky enough to run across a NOS tailgate, and nos doors. I have them in the loft and hope I never need them.

John, a couple of questions.

(1) So you are stating that the doors on 51-2 will also work on 53-4 wagons?

(2) Have you ever attended a Chrysler 300 Club International Meet? If so I think we met some years ago and if memory serves me you own or owned the first Torqueflite 300B as per documentation?

On the doors, I am going by the parts # shown in a 1954 Master parts book that I have .

I do have a 300B project, a Black one. It has a powerflight transmission.It is a bare bones model, the only power it has is power brakes.[ no power steering, windows, etc].

I did attend one 300 meeting in Tallahassee Florida years ago.Can't remember exactly what year.

Thanks, for resurrecting this thread. I di offer the seller what he must have considered a low ball offer but one which is fair. This Hudson Motors, as with many sellers in ebays "Salvage Vehicles" section, just keeps running these tough projects in a continuous loop hoping, I guess, for someone to "have to have it".

But, with missing the drivetrain, and title, and in the present condition it literally is worth about $500. It would take virtually the same amount of money, about $75,000 in my estimation, to make it a show car and maybe $40,000 plus sweat equity to make it a very nice club use car.

But, as soon as some potential seller with a drivetrain KNOWS you need it, then the price for said drivetrain would be $2000-$3000. It bothers me that ebay allows this continuous loop auction. If this seller didn't have ebay, they would just do the same on Craigs List but not reach as wide an audience.

On the doors, I am going by the parts # shown in a 1954 Master parts book that I have .

I do have a 300B project, a Black one. It has a powerflight transmission.It is a bare bones model, the only power it has is power brakes.[ no power steering, windows, etc].

I did attend one 300 meeting in Tallahassee Florida years ago.Can't remember exactly what year.

As I recall that meet was in 1995 and my wife and I were there. I knew your name was ringing a bell in my head...........

Your memory is better than mine. 1995 sounds about right. That is also about when I acquired the 300B. I have let other things get in the way, such as the Desoto Wagon,etc, but some headway has been made. The Body and front clip are painted and back on the frame with all new bearings, bushings, brakes and seals done. The entire drive line has been rebuilt and reinstalled.Next is wiring, Dash, glass and the Gary Goers interior I have in the spare bedroom closet

I love these cars and don't see them too often. All the glass is glat except the windshield which makes it quite affordable.. our family has been in the glass industry since 1953. We have been selling classic and antique glass since the 1970's. Still know where there is a NOS clear windshield for the Wagon. You maybe able to cut down a Sedan windshield, can't remember but the work and risk of breaking it is not worth it for a little more if anyone wants a spare.. Had to mnetion when I see these wagons.. Richard