79 Olds Cutlass Suprreme Brougham

Guest BC Texas

Guest BC Texas

Just purchased a 79 Cutlass Supreme Brougham one owner. Exterior and mechanically in pretty good shape. Interior needs help. It has what I think is 55/45 bucket seats. Are there upholstery kits, carpet and headliner kits available and if so where do I locate them. Been surfing the net . See lots of supreme bench and bucket seat kits but no brougham. These look lik what some call the 81-82 seats.

Thanks, looking forward to restoring this one.

What you most probably have are NOT bucket seats, but a "split bench". Most were 50/50 or 30/70. The one in my Y2K Impala has a wider driver's side and a narrower passenger side -- the lh side has the fold-down armrest, so that's why it's wider. Earlier splilt benches in cars which had wider interiors had a fold-down armrest for the driver AND the passenger.

You might find carpet from Auto Custom Carpet, who is a premier supplier to other vehicle suppliers (as Year ONE). Just match the color code and the type/style of the carpet. Should be molded as factory carpet, too!

Headliner fabric can be sourced from the upholstery shop side of things. Remove the perimeter plastic moldings AND the overhead domelight before dropping the molded backing board to remove it. You'll need to pull the old fabric that's still stuck to the board via the foam backing. Then, a wire brush attachment on an electric drill motor . . . with suitable (saw horse) supports under the backing board . . . will get the residual foam off of the board and hopefully not gouge any holes or divots in the board. Then an application of spray adhesive to stick the new fabric to the backing board. Reinstall. The board is somewhat fragile, although it looks reasonably thick, BUT it will bend easier than you'll think it will! The upholstery people can do this if you don't have the space or expertise to do it.

The interior fabrics can be sourced via the uphostery shops, too, who have swatch books to match what you have. NO kits that I'm aware of . . . but then I haven't looked for a spllit bench Cutlass seat cover, either. Whatever might exist will be more attuned to what the "performance models" had in them, not the more luxury versions, typically.

One way to shop for trim shops is to find out where the local new car dealers get their warranty work done, for replacing just one panel in a seat cover. These shops will need to do "factory quality" work for such warranty repairs. There might be some other shops which do "acceptable" work, but replacing a panel in a leather seat cover on a new $75K Escalade is much different than what a used car lot would pay to get a quick-job seat cover done.

Sounds like you've got a pretty nice and NEAT car! Be sure to replace all of the rubber hoses with new ones as the existing ones were made BEFORE the alcohol content of our gasolines became what it is. If you desire to keep all GM hoses, there are specific-application hoses available in the GM Standard Parts catalog section of the computerized GM Parts database. Only thing is that they used to be more expensive than what you'd get at the auto supply AND only come in "lengths"/rolls, rather than buying them in "feet". But a little rubbing on the auto supply hoses and whatever lettering that's on them can be erased, if that matters. Also, don't forget the rubber hoses at the fuel tank sending unit!

Take care,

NTX5467

• 2 months later...