New gas tank or restore original? 1937 Pontiac Silverstreak

GarageStudios

Team,

I have removed my gas tank, thankfully it had a drain plug. gas was dirty, possibly rusty tank and / or just old metal tank. Any suggestions, should I restore it (trying to keep car as original as possible) or replace? Also, it has a copper tube for the gas line, should I replace with new copper tubing or use something else.

Faced the same issue with my 1950 Caddy. My feeling is that if a good reproduction is available to go with that, if the price is fair and within your budget. Gas Tank Renue company does a excellent job with a lifetime warranty, But shipping will have to be paid to and from. Is the gas line originally copper? I would go with "conifer" tubing. It is a bit costly but looks like steel, but bends easily like copper, and is rust proof. Copper, nickel & ferrous. The way to go for brake line as well.

Guest shadetree77
My feeling is that if a good reproduction is available to go with that, if the price is fair and within your budget.

I would agree with this sentiment. I restored the gas tank on my '52 Buick and brother, let me tell you, it was a PAIN!! Mine was filled with 40+ years of rust and varnish and it took forever to clean it out. Days and days of muriatic acid and other cleaners soaking in there and shaking, shaking, and more shaking. By the end of the cleaning process, my arms were dead from shaking that big cumbersome thing! The re-sealing process wasn't too bad but that cleaning process was a royal pain. From now on, if I ever need a new tank I'm going to look for a reproduction. If at all possible, I'll never restore another one! Good Luck.

My 51 Ford wagon had been sitting in a garage for 27 years. It had black hard crud in it that used to be gas which I rinsed out with water. Then I took it to a radiator repair shop and they put it in their hot tank for a couple of days. I then used some gas tank sealer that I sloshed around, and put a gas line filter that was clear and the gas was visible going into the carb. That was about 23 years ago and I have not had any problems even with the ethanol in todays gas.

Thanks everyone, I am still unsure, but maybe thinking new... I don't know the condition of the "steel" and if I go through all the work of restoring, I may be disappointed. On the other hand, I would like to keep all parts as much as possible to keep it "original"... hmmmm, Ill have to report back on this thread.

Guest mando13

Its nice to keep everything origional if possible.I would remove the gas tank and take it to a Radiator shop and have them clean it out completely.They usually do a good job cleaning it out and than they put a sealer inside to prevent any rust from developing again. Just my thoughts.

Mando

Its nice to keep everything origional if possible.I would remove the gas tank and take it to a Radiator shop and have them clean it out completely.They usually do a good job cleaning it out and than they put a sealer inside to prevent any rust from developing again. Just my thoughts.

Mando

Thanks, I did this with my radiator and they did a great job.... good idea, I never thought they may do tanks as well

• 2 years later...

I have a 1938 Pontiac business coupe with a 76 year old gas tank that was reconditioned 20 years ago and has seen it's final days. I saw your forum thread and wonder what you ever did for yours. I cannot seem to locate a new tank for my old hot rod and wonder if you were able to locate a new tank and where?

Thanks,

Dave

I had a new tank for my '36 Dodge made by a tinner shop. They reproduced it exactly in galvanized tin with rolled and soldered seams, a baffle and all fittings soldered in. It fit perfectly. I gave them the old tank to use as a pattern. Cost about $350. Now I have a brand new tank!

I may have to try that. I was able to locate a tank for a 1938 Chevy. Both cars are nearly identical. I need to get the car up on my lift and make some measurements.

Faced the same issue with my 1950 Caddy. My feeling is that if a good reproduction is available to go with that, if the price is fair and within your budget. Gas Tank Renue company does a excellent job with a lifetime warranty, But shipping will have to be paid to and from. Is the gas line originally copper? I would go with "conifer" tubing. It is a bit costly but looks like steel, but bends easily like copper, and is rust proof. Copper, nickel & ferrous. The way to go for brake line as well.

yes gas line is copper all the way... Thanks for the tips..

• 3 weeks later...