"Sorting out" my 47 Continental

Iain M.

Am getting my 47 Continental ready for it's debut run down to Washington State next week for the Sea Tac HCCA Red Carpet Tour. The engine runs smooth and strong - except when I come off the throttle, to go down a hill for example, then it starts to buck. It has been suggested to me that the idle might be a bit too high, so will try & slow it down a bit. I don't have a good undertanding of the vacuum brake on the distributor - could that be a factor??

Any thoughts & ideas appreciated. Thanks

Iain in Campbell River BC

Ian, unless there's something wrong with the mechanical advance system in the distributor I don't see how the vacuum brake can cause your problem? the vacuum brake slows down the rate of advance under low vacuum conditions ( engine under load) but allows unempeded mechanical advance under high vacuum ( coasting or on compression). Have you had the distributor checked? The spring(s) that control the centrifical weights may be broken or you may have the distributor advanced to far?

Thanks Dee. The distributor was done by Jake Flemming and I haven't touched it. My thinking was that since the engine runs so well otherwise, that the bucking while coasting must be an adjustment issue of some kind. I'm no mechanic, but the only things I could think of that could be adjusted are the carb & the vacuum brake. The carb is the one I got from you, and works well - so could it be the idle speed?

Also, I do have a spare distributor, also rebuild by Jake, that I could put on if you think that may be the problem.

Thanks for the help. Iain

The idle speed might have something to do with it especially if it's "bucking" when braking on compression ( in gear) at low speed. These engines like to idle slow at around 400 rpm. The vacuum brake was probably set by Jake when he went thru it so unless you're experiencing "pinging" I wouldn't mess with the vacuum brake adjustment.

While you are at it make sure the connections at the ignition resistor above the steering column are tight. It's possible that fuel line particles ( dirt) got into the carb on start up plugging or partially plugging the main jet(s). Even tho there is a screen in the pump particles seem to be able to get past it. If tweaking the idle doesn't do anything I would remove the carb and check the main jets.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Bucking would seem to be associated with a load, as in accelerating..all the conversation preceeding seems to follow that line...the engine braking effect can buck and jerk so ease into neutral and coast to the light, save your trans and so on. The idle would have to be really fast to affect slowdowns driving 50 mphdown the road.. If you dare, spray / mist some water around you plug wires and conduits...start or do it idling...look for the arcing...drive it..is it worse or same or different?? could this be what you are describing??

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)