Lincoln Zephyr 3w Coupe 1937-39

Guest Jocke

Guest Jocke

Is the Lincoln Zephyr 1937 3w Coupe the same as the 1938 and 1939 from the front window all the way to the back.

Except for the fenders of course.

Important to know if its possible when buying parts.

/Joakim

Guest Water Jacket
Is the Lincoln Zephyr 1937 3w Coupe the same as the 1938 and 1939 from the front window all the way to the back.

Except for the fenders of course.

Important to know if its possible when buying parts.

/Joakim

Tho' your Zephyr isn't a CCCA Classic, it is the basis of the CCCA-accepted 1940-48 Lincoln Continental, and in my 'umble opine, as "Classic" as the ever popular CCCA-approved '41 Cadillacs which share every piece of sheet metal with a '41 Pontiac, or a CCCA-accepted wood-clad '40s Chrysler, and i believe in helping anyone with a vintage or Classic automobile which they are preserving as a stock car in this day and age of altered monstrosities.

So, call Don Knopp, Don's Antique Auto Parts, Fremont, CA 1 (510) 792-4390. Don owns several, perhaps many, such Zephyrs and Continentals, has encyclopedic knowledge, and a warehouse the size of a light aircraft factory loaded with parts for every make of domestic automobile from the 1920s through '50s, old, vintage, neo-Classic and Classic. Tell him a black '47 Packard Super Clipper in Walnut Creek referred you. You'll be in good hands.

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I called Don and he had a lot of stuff so I flew over from Sweden to San Francisco rented a car and drove over to Fremont to meet him.

Oboy! This is a nice old man with a lot of stories and I have never seen so many old car parts in my whole life.

I offered him dinner but he liked to eat alone and this is not a man you argue with, when he talk you listen...

Thanks again your advice to call him.

/Jocke

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Water Jacket

Frer Jocke,

You're most welcome. Trust you had an enjoyable visit to the States, and that you were able to get any ancient Lincoln items on the plane homeward without fuss. I once sold a spare Super-8 oil bath aircleaner to a gentleman in Norway with a '41 Packard One-Sixty conv. coupe. That's what makes the world go around. All best.

• 1 month later...

Hey -- Just saw this post. I'm sure Don answered all your questions, but just in case he didn't, I have a '37 coupe, so will try to answer as best I can. I assume you are talking about external sheetmetal. As you noted, the rear fenders are different; I *believe* the trunklids are the same, but the placement of the trunk handles and license plates were different across the 3 years. The '37 bumpers are also different (the '37 front and rear bumpers are the same). With regard to the doors, they are the same for '37 and '38, but the '39 is different because it has extra metal at the bottom to "hide" the running boards. Finally, while '37s and '38s both have the running boards, the '38s are longer and have longer SS trim.

And Water Jacket is right -- the Lincoln-Zephyr was a mid-priced car, meant to make money for Lincoln (which it did). Now, if Edsel Ford had doubled its price and sold 1/5 as many, who knows what the Zephyr's status would be? ;)

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

Looking for a seat to a 1938 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe (Cab)

Actually I only need the stainless hinges on the sides.

A 1937, 1939, 1940 or 1941 would do as well

/Joakim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40mercFlathead

I'm looking for 37-39 Zephyr coupe. May also buy a rear end with trunk lid as well and build a coupe from there. I know I'm crazy.