Hershey 1962

MochetVelo

• 9 months later...
Guest Texas Old Car Guy

What I find interesting (obviously the cars) was the absence of blue jeans/levi's. Everyone has slacks or a suit on. Nice video.

• 9 months later...

Fascinating video, especially for those collectors

who weren't around the hobby at that early date!

And yes, many of the people were much better dressed.

I noted quite a few cars from the Ford Model A era (late 1920's)

into the early 1930's. That would be the equivalent of cars

from the early 1980's today--which are rarely seen at shows.

• 5 months later...

Good video of a typical early Hershey meet at a time when I believe all the cars were inside the stadium. I was on active duty at Ft. Dix that year but my father can be seen in the 1905 Packard which he had been driven up from West Chester, Pa., some 75 miles away. It was also a time to walk through the parking area around the stadium and look at interesting spectator cars such as the red Mercedes 300 SL roadster seen in the video.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It was interesting to note that every car in this film is eligible to be on today's show field.  Also, it was nice to see so few cars with whitewall tires, particularly the Model A's.   It appears there were a lot of Rolls Royces entered. We have certainly become much more casual in our attire over the past 55 years and I was surprised to see well dressed men lugging their flee market purchases.

I wonder how many of the antique cars on the film are still out and being shown or better yet toured? I bet there's a lot sitting in garages that haven't moved for years. Fantastic video. I'll dream about those cars tonight!

Ken

Thank you for sharing this wonderful video.  I graduated from high school in '62.  The cars in the video were interesting to see, a lot different than what we see at Hershey now.  I had forgotten how different the every day dress was then.  All the women had on skirts and dresses.  The men had on dress slacks and shoes, sport coats and ties.  I even saw a guy with a black suit on.  Nowadays people don't dress up that much for church!

26 minutes ago, michel88 said:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful video.  I graduated from high school in '62.  The cars in the video were interesting to see, a lot different than what we see at Hershey now.  I had forgotten how different the every day dress was then.  All the women had on skirts and dresses.  The men had on dress slacks and shoes, sport coats and ties.  I even saw a guy with a black suit on.  Nowadays people don't dress up that much for church!

62 was my first year of college. Also notice that the lions share of the people are not overweight.  This would be a fun video at a car-guy get together that could be stopped and started to ID the cars.

It is a shame about the church attire these days; no respect.

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

There are a lot of Connecticut cars, that are still here, only the owners have changed. Wish I knew how to freeze the action and ID a few cars, my '12 T may be in there. Bob

Just click on "PAUSE" (the two vertical bars that pop up on the lower left as you pass over the video with your mouse) and you can stop the video.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
Guest Douglas
On 4/12/2013 at 6:04 PM, Texas Old Car Guy said:

What I find interesting (obviously the cars) was the absence of blue jeans/levi's. Everyone has slacks or a suit on. Nice video.

I noticed the same. People are so elegant there, it looks like really special event for all of them.