1932 series 50 English Coachbuilt

simhin

Gentlemen,

May I present the Carlton Carriage Company 1932 Series 50...

Drove it for the first time today, properly. We covered a few miles and apart from having to apply a little choke all the time, it was great. The shock absobers aren't fitted yet so the ride was a little like being in a boat, but she got up to 50, and had loads of torque, so all in all not bad for a car that was last roadworthy in 1962!

I'd be really interseted in any comments about the photos, things missing, things not correct etc....please let me know

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

We will need some experts on the cars imported to the UK from Canada, via McLaughlin, but there are sure quite some differences. first, the bumpers are not for US '32 which are a wide single bar. The headlight stantions seem the same, but your car probably as Lucas or other UK manufacture headlamps. The parking lights look the same, but I recall seeing that most in the UK used dide lamps that looked different and some were even cowl mounted as opposed to fenders. On the bumper, it is a nice touch of the B emblem. The US cars had the hubcap rings painted black, but tese seem to be all chrome, perhasps done when replated when the car was redone some time ago. All in all, I am glad you have it running. Do you have the crank hole cover? They are hard to find but I will see if one can be had. I alwys fear losing mine, and I have no spare. I will write you separately with some photos.

John

i just noted something else different. The US '32s had a top of cowl interior air vent, and yours seem to have side cowl vents on eeither side. Also, I believe all US models had two side mounts, not just tghe one, so I am not sure if you have space for two and only one in place at this time.

John

Very Nice, good to see some British coachwork examples of Buick have survived.

You may find this 1932 MOTOR MAGAZINE article of interest. It descibes your car as " the 27.6 h.p. Albemarle foursome coupe built by the Carlton Carriage Co., Ltd. "

Obviously bumpers were still an accesory in the U.K. and probably locally manufactured and installed hence the difference to the US version.

The only other difference I see is the 2 piece windscreen on your car - the one depicted in the article is only 1 piece.

post-31244-143139062139_thumb.jpg

Stuart,

Thanks for the information which ads to me knowledge. I wonder if the windsheild change to split was a later, or earlier design change. Another question for Simon to dwell on, as your material may well be the only published material he has seen (as have I) on this model.

John

Thanks both,

I have got a copy of that, and also some original lendrum and Hartman brochures. When I get my scanner back I will upload some copies.

I hadn't noticed the lack of front bumper before though....so it's possible they may have fitted it as an option, although isn't it like the '31 bumper?

John, what diamter should the exhaust be. Ours was renewed about 25 years ago, but it looks bit narrow, now she's running. I dont know if it restricts the engine bait, the silencer box is also fairly small....

Simon,

As mine is in place, the best I can measure is 2" to the muffler (silencer box) and 1 1/2" from the silencer back, I also have a deflector on it, so not exactly measured. The silencer is circular about 10" diameter and I am told was very similar to a '51 Mercury (but I would need to verify that). It is just about 3' long and starts just at the running board bracket at the front. You can order a suitable replacement from Waldron exhaust, but probably could be fabricated over there at similar cost, when you include shipping, unless you have a bunch of other stuff coming. I can try to get you a couple of photos when I pull the car out of the garage (and cover) later this week.

John

• 2 weeks later...