1922 buick touring convert.

Guest olschoolchal

Guest olschoolchal

My father has a 1922 Buick touring convertible. Prior to the last 3 years this was a show vehicle. He hasn't been able to get it started over the last few years and has little time for the vehicle anymore. The vehicle is located in Baltimore, MD. I will provide pictures if anyone is interested in the vehicle. Also, if someone knows a mechanic that is familiar with similar Buick models that lives in the vicinity of Maryland, please let me know.

Thanks

Guest olschoolchal

These pics are from 4 or 5 years ago when he was showing the car. It has been garage kept but for about 3 years it has not run. He does need help in getting it running, which, I assume, would largely effect the value of the car. My dad's name is Charles and his phone number is 410-661-8689.

post-79871-143139056922_thumb.jpg

post-79871-143139056925_thumb.jpg

post-79871-143139056927_thumb.jpg

post-79871-14313905718_thumb.jpg

post-79871-143139057182_thumb.jpg

I would like to look this one over and possibly help get it going again. Any one up for a joint visit? I am about 2 hrs away in Chambersburg, Pa. I wonder about the top props dropped down with the added stick to hold up the top. Possibly a 6'-6"garage door?

Larry

1925-25

1937-41

Guest Mkulina

All I can say it what a beautiful car this is. When it is up and running, can you let me know where the line forms for rides?

Hope it goes back on the road soon....Mike

It appears the top irons have either been damaged, or the top straps that hold the top up (from the back bow to the next bow forward) are damaged or torn loose. This causes the "locking" part of the irons above the section between doors to collapse.

Anytime you can see the irons in this area below the edge of the top is a sign that something has either failed, or never been installed correctly in the first place.

Larry, if you make arrangements to see the car and help resolve the starting problem with the owner, let me know the date and time. I am about two hours away in VA. Can bring my tools, 6v battery, and reference guide from my 23 to maybe get her started.

John

Just an update. Larry and I went to Baltimore to see if we could help with car. We had a great time with Charles, the owner, and learned of its history with the family. We worked on it all day with Charles close at hand and managed to get her to cough and pop, but it would not run. We suspect a plugged carb issue as we fixed the starting, ignition and stuck valve problems. So she is going to need several days worth of work to get her to reliably start and run. But on the plus side, she is a grand old lady and still all there. All she needs is a bit of major TLC to get her back on the road again.

Larry and I now now the importance of the car to Charles. But we also know that he has to make some hard decisions on the future of the car. It is not doing him any good just sitting in the garage, slowly going down hill so to speak.

You can read a bit more of our adventure plus current pics at http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r2-1963-refresh-269244-62.html

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Bofusmosby, we told him what cars like his, in its current condition, in our opinion, were going for, and even showed him a price guide from 2004 that Larry had. Both estimates were less than he paid for the car ten years ago. I just do not know what he plans to do. If you are interested, the phone number for Charles is on previous posts, give him a call, you never know. Also if Charles agrees to sell then give us a shout to discuss. I would also contact his son on this forum as his family will most likely be involved in any sale. He has a lot of parts for it also. Extra wheels, transmission, rear axle, and many, many small parts (several big boxes worth).

Trimacar, re the top setting down. The garage is low so to get the car in the owner fabricated a "drop" post and mechanism to lower the top so he could get it in the garage. The top is black cloth with a tan cloth interior and looks to be in serviceable condition, no rips that we could see. It looks like it was done back in the 70s. The side curtains look to be later. The inner liner on the side support panels are starting to go, but nothing major. The top was covered so we could only see a part of it. Looked to be a quality top, but showing its age.

The car is a 1922 model 45.

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

I concur with John on our evaluation. We wish we could have had it running for him. The fuel tank was about 1/3 full of 5 year old gas with a noticable amount of sludge.

Even if I drained the tank (drain plug was pretty chewed) we would not be able to flush out the sediment. We believed that was what caused it to stop running 5 years ago. We eliminated the 12V electric fuel pump (seperate battery) and made up a piece of copper line to connect a bypass hose to a squeze bottle. The points had a small clip covering the contact since the fixed side contact thread was stripped. Charles had a replacement to install properly and set gap. Seemed like it had good spark. The starter would not engage at first but after lubing up some of the sliding and pivot points (and some help with the hand crank) it was able to turn over on its own. While I was helping with the crank I noticed that #6 exhaust rocker was not moving and the push rod was bent as the valve was stuck open. We took the rocker arm off and the rod keeper to straighten the bent rods. John tapped and sprayed while I levered up on the spring untill it loosened up. After reassembly we felt at this time it should be able to start. The carb was spitting out fuel as the engine started to pop and try to start. Afterwards we checked several of the plugs and no evidence of fuel. It seems as though the carb jets may be plugged. Overall it was great to work with John and try to get the 22 at least breathing again. Thanks to this forum to be able to make this connection.

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)

Guest olschoolchal

I wanted to thank John and Larry for all their efforts in helping my Dad with his Buick. He could not say enough about how knowledgable you guys are and how much he appreciated your work and your advice. As he continues tinkering with the car I will try to keep you guys updated with his success or failures.

Thanks Again

Keith

Thanks for explanation on top, I think it's great that you guys went to help, even if not getting it running, you made progress, and helping others is such a huge part of the hobby.

Pricing is such a fun subject. In truth, the price that a car will get is determined by the market place. However, often the would-be seller is influenced by perceptions, previous prices paid, or even "need" of the owner of the car.

There's another car that's been on this forum for sale, and in discussions with owner representative, the comment was made that the owner "needed" to get X dollars out of the car. That fact has no bearing whatsoever on what the car will actually bring, cash money.

Sounds like a great car for someone, hope it finds a worthy home, and again, kudos for you guys assisting them!

• 2 months later...
Guest olschoolchal
Thanks David and Keith, Larry and I were glad to help, and it was a day well spent. Hope that everything turns out for Charles and his great Buick.

Keith, keep us posted if you will.

John,

Unfortunately, my dad is not doing well and is no longer capable of doing any work on his Buick. He is interested in selling the vehicle as is for $9000. In your opinion, would it be worthwhile to have a vintage car shop do the necessary work to get it back running and then try to sell it? With this car in good running condition, what would be a reasonable value for it?

Thanks

Keith

Keith:

Sorry to hear that your dad is not doing well. We realy had a grand time with him. John and I had hoped that he would be able to get the 22 brought back. I believe we speculated on the possible cost of doing the required work. Our thoughts originally were in the $1,500.00 range. That was for removing the fuel system, cleaning, rebuilding the carb, removing valve cages to do a valve job and new wires etc. We could not check the condition of the radiator and the rest of the cooling system. (My 1925-25 radiator work cost over $1,000.) And since we didn't get it running we could not check drivability issues. I know it needed tires. Not cheap! After my experience with the shop doing a "DRIVER RESTORATION" on my 1937 I would multiply that $1,500 estimate by at least 3. Not that I didn't have the value of the work delivered. It was just that my estimation was way below reality. I should have plugged along on my own.

My take on it would be to try to sell it "as is" and let the new owner deal with the issues. You may be putting $4,000 in it to get very little added value. Unfortunately once these cars are left to degrade value drops quickly. I know! I now have double in my 1937-41 than it would ever be worth. And I still have to do more work to make it driveable.

My 2cents!

Larry

Back to you Robert: we discussed this briefly on the phone yesterday...the Collector Car Price Guide has this car in #2 condition listed @ about $21,000. in the 2010 edition. I think many of the valuations in that guide are optimistic in today's market. An antique automobile appraisal company may be of some help if you intend to sell the car. If you plan to keep it, I recommend you join AACA if you haven't already, and Buick Club of America (BCA). Good luck, and email me if you have specific questions.

Tom

Guest Robert@cpageinsurance.com

Tom, thank you for your information. I was able to look at the plate next to the engine and it shows that it is a 1923 35SPO. I know that 35 is the model but what is the SPO. post-88487-143139194854_thumb.jpg

Robert,

So as not to confuse things, I would suggest that you start a new thread on your car, or perhaps someone with more skill, or a moderator can shift your material to a new thread. Your ccar seems to be a Canadian car - does that not say General Motors of Canada? SPO may be "Special Order".

John

• 4 weeks later...
Guest olschoolchal
I will give him a call and see if John and I can formulate a solution.

Larry

Hey Larry

When you and John were in Baltimore trying to help my dad start his 1922 Buick, do you remember if my Dad had a key for the ignition or was he using something else?

Thanks

Keith

Keith, as I remember the switch and transmission were not locked. I do not remember seeing a key. I looked back at the pics that Larry and I took. There was no key in the ignition/combination switch. Remember, the key is used to move a mechanical arm to stop the switch lever from being moved, hence locking it from moving to the start or on position. Hope this helps. John

Keith:

I concur with John that there was no key at the time as I have seen from the pictures we took. I see from the photos you originally posted that there does apear to be a key at that time. Any progress in the disposal of the Buick as I may have someone intereste near me.

Larry DiBarry

• 9 years later...