1937 Pontiac trim colors and rear axles

Greetings! I just bought a 1937 Pontiac 2619 Touring Sedan and have a couple of questions.

First of all, the car is maroon. What colors would be correct for the body stripe/wheel trim? The showroom folder shows dark green, and the only paint chart I can find is an aftermarket seller that shows red. Is there a cream or tan that would be correct? Neither the green or red seem appropriate.

Second, how can you tell what gear ration the car has in the rear axle? I've located a 1938 rear axle and would like to see if it has the Plains ratio to dop overall engine speed.

Thanks!

Guest bofusmosby

Bob

Interesting questions for sure. Unfortunately, I do not have the answers. I do know that there was a tan color that was original, but as to the shade? Don't know. There was also a maroon color that some of the cars were painted from the factory, but my knowledge is just enough to get you into trouble. One the gear ratio, I was told that there were 3 ratios that these cars came with. The lower ratio for the mountain driving, the mid ratio for the flat/hills driving, and of course the plains ratio. I was also told that somewhere (I believe on the differential) was marked with a color. There were 3 different colors. I don't know which was which ratio. I also own a 37 Pontiac model 2609. My car came from Montana, so I believe that my ratio is the mountain ratio. I too would like to switch over to the plains gear ratio to cut down on the RPMs. When I get to about 40 mph in 3rd gear, the RPMs are telling me to switch into 4th gear.:D

You might want to join the Pontiac/Oakland club to get the info you are looking for. This is a pay membership, but there was a guy that was an officer several years back that had all the info you are looking for. I remember that his first name was "Arnold" I believe. Here is a link to their site if you wish to join. Pontiac, Oakland, and GMC Truck owners and enthusiasts - we invite you to join! - Pontiac-Oakland Club International

Give it a while and maybe someone here will be able to answer your questions.

• 7 months later...

Bob, Yellow plains high ratio, Blue mountain low ratio, Green average ratio, maybe you have this answer already? they say with the mountain ratio you were hard pressed

to get above 45 mph in top gear.

Guest bofusmosby
they say with the mountain ratio you were hard pressed

to get above 45 mph in top gear.

That would explain why when I got my car up to about 50 MPH, things didn't seem right! Too busy under the hood.

Kris42, where can this color marking be found?

Guest bofusmosby

I the near future, I plan on doing a complete cleaning on the underside of my car, including removing all the caked grease. Maybe I'll find the markings on mine. Thank you!

I see in the Australian road tests at the time, aussie car would do 60mph in second gear so I would say all our cars had the high ratio

I remember years ago driving my grand fathers car it moved along ok. wish we still had it.