post with 54 nash a/c school picture

well i would sure like to know who and why my post with the picture of nash dealer mechanics attending the first class of the 1954 nash all weather eye a/c school was deleted. seem to be that you can't prove, show, or talk about the fact the pontiac was first in 1954 with in dash factory air conditioning. i must be stepping on too many toes here proving the facts. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

"i must be stepping on too many toes here proving the facts."

I don't think it's that you're stepping on too many toes. I think the folks in this forum are impressed by your extreme level of friendliness and magnanimousness, and they may not respond until they have exhausted every single lead in trying to figure out how that photo disappeared.

well here's the picture again, let's see if it gets to stay longer than the last time. the writing at the lower left says 1954 nash all weather eye air conditioning school, milwaukee, wis. may 5, 1954, which matches the time the nash air conditioning shop manual was released, may/1954. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

post-32395-143139059791_thumb.jpg

"I think the folks in this forum are impressed by your extreme level of friendliness" Yes, I'm certainly impressed with that and his tact too. But I have suggested that Mr. Coker contact Pat Foster, possibly throught the Hemmings Publications office and he never gives any evidence that he has done that. I think I've suggested the he do that a couple of times. I'll certainly accept Mr. Foster's opinion as to who was first with the A/C. Mind you I'm not "dissing" his Pontiac here and I certainly wouldn't go to a Pontiac website for that either. Joe

hi joe, there was an article a ways back in old car weekly, where i proved that pontiac was first with in dash up front factory a/c. pontiac's a/c was made available starting in december/1953, harrison division of GM was awarded a US patent in 1953. the printing dates of both make's factory a/c shop manual doesn't convince you ?, pontiac's december/1953, nash's may/1954, pontiac's ads about a/c, december/1953, nash's ads, may/1954. john gunnell, member of old car weekly staff, told the printers of the american standard catalog of american cars 1946 to 1975 ?, that if they ever did a another printing of the book, to correct the error that the book says now, that 1954 nash was first with up front, in dash factory a/c. john gunnell is convince that i have proven with several pieces of evidence, that pontiac was first in dec/1953, not nash in may/1954. i have an article coming out in the pontiac oakland club international's smoke signal, should be in the august/2012 issue. i'll look up mr. pat foster at hemmings, and have a chat with him, to see about getting my article of proof printed in it's magazine. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

Mr. Coker, it sounds like you've done a lot of work to prove your point, which is that Pontiac was first with in-dash A/C. I guess you're driven to have this established as a historical fact, given that Nash is routinely given credit for this major development. However, you don't seem to realize how your lack of tact and continually challenging tone to the Nash owners on this forum come off as abrasive and childish. It's as if you want to point your finger at Nash owners and say "Nananabooboo, Pontiac beat you"! I have seen many of your posts on this and other forums - I read them because I am interested in this topic, but I come away each time with the feeling that you have managed to somehow belittle or alienate the folks in the Nash camp. That may not be your intent, but it certainly seems that way. Can you not find a way to sound the slightest bit gracious in your quest? You're making your challenge more difficult by continuing to tick everyone off.

hello peter, the picture and post i was referring to, was when i posted the 1954 nash a/c school picture the first time, and told readers how the picture is another piece of proof that nash did not have in dash a/c first. the picture is dated 5-5-54, which supports the fact that the 54 nash a/c shop manual wasn't printed untill 5-54, and nash a/c ads don't appear untill the same time. where as i have 1954 pontiac a/c production fiqures, showing that pontiac had built the first ten a/c 54 starchiefs in december-1953, and recieved from GM's harrison division of harrison radiators, another 7,016 complete a/c systems from january-1954 to november-1954, the 1954 pontiac a/c shop manual supports this fact by it's printing date of december-1953, and and ads for the new 54 pontiac starchief a/c option start at the same time. the harrison division also recieved a U.S. patent for it's in dash a/c system in 1953. there have been many times, that it has been wrongly stated, that 1954 nash cars were the first to have in dash a/c, in magazine articles and books. john gunnell, automotive history writer with old car weekly, has read emails from me, and he is convince that i have more than enough proof, he has informed the publishers of the standard catalog of american automobiles II, that if another printing is ever made of the book, to consider correcting it's error of stating that 1954 nash was first. there were many automotive firsts in the history of the pontiac motor division, and the being first with in dash factory air conditioning deserves to be acknownledged by all as one of those pontiac first. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

Mr. Coker, it sounds like you've done a lot of work to prove your point, which is that Pontiac was first with in-dash A/C. I guess you're driven to have this established as a historical fact, given that Nash is routinely given credit for this major development. However, you don't seem to realize how your lack of tact and continually challenging tone to the Nash owners on this forum come off as abrasive and childish. It's as if you want to point your finger at Nash owners and say "Nananabooboo, Pontiac beat you"! I have seen many of your posts on this and other forums - I read them because I am interested in this topic, but I come away each time with the feeling that you have managed to somehow belittle or alienate the folks in the Nash camp. That may not be your intent, but it certainly seems that way. Can you not find a way to sound the slightest bit gracious in your quest? You're making your challenge more difficult by continuing to tick everyone off.

hello 54nuyorkrwagon, well i certainly don't mean to alienate, or belittle any nash people, i know i have never been one to beat around the bush, i simply present the facts as i have found them to be. your insight is helpful, but please also take note that when i first brought this question to the nash forum, i got replies like those saying "who cares what happen back in 1954 ?", i'm thankful for your interest. charles coker, 1954 pontiac tech advisor.

• 2 years later...