Early 30's Car

Guest Huzzad

Guest Huzzad

With much chatting with my brother, and browsing the internet for pictures and information. I have yielded and am seeking help and advice on what this car actually is. From the way the pictures look I can see a 31 coupe, but the front-end looks like it could possibly be a Ford.. These are pictures of where the car rests at the moment, It is not in my possession just yet. I am awaiting the start of the week to move it to it's new home in my garage.

Instead of posting the pictures I have them up on a site.. I can post them here if folks wish.

Car Pics pictures by Huzzad - Photobucket

Not a Plymouth but it looks like it could be a Chrysler product. Look for a medallion on the dash or a serial number plate on the passenger door hinge post (they changed from one to the other around the vintage of that car). If its a Chrysler product then there should be one or the other of those on the car.

Nice car!!

You lucky rascal.

Please bring it back to its full potential or clean her up and drive it.

That hubcap in your picture.

That is the first one I have seen on a complete Chrysler product.

I was told by an older fellow that the car came from the factory with 3 that were the "mushroom" shaped hub cap and one that has the hex design with the C script, like you have. From what I was told, the car wore it on the left side facing away from the curb as if it were parked on the street. The 2 larger "mushroom" shaped caps were facing the curb / side walk.

My 30 CJ sedan came with the same hubcap as you but it is damaged. I also have the wrench that came with the car, that fits the hex cap on one end and the spanner wrench on the other end of the tool that fits the "mushroom" type cap.

If ya wanna sell that cap send me a private message and I'll send you a replacement "mushroom" style cap.

Every 29 to 31 Chrysler I have ever seen in pictures has 4 "mushroom" style caps..... Except yours.

The fact that your car still has the one bastard grease cap, (the hex one), tells me something about the originality of your car.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Bill H

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

Guest Huzzad

I looked up a few 30 chrysler's and it seems to fit it the most. I still have to wait a few days before I can check the vin number. Though I hope to bring it home soon and take more pictures. Thanks for the advice so far folks, really appreciate it.

Guest Huzzad

Alright, so the car is now in my garage, and looking pretty for the most part. I have boxes of parts to apply to it, all in baggies and labeled so yay me. I looked up the serial number(I don't seem to have a vin plate on the car, unless the serial number plate is it. which is inside the engine compartment on the firewall) and it said the serial number belongs to.. I've never heard of a Finer, so I do not know if this is correct. If anyone has info on a Finer 70 if this is what the car is of course.

Chrysler 1931 Finer 70 - Model Code V

Car Pics pictures by Huzzad - Photobucket --- New pictures added Leaf Blower was not included in the deal :S

Edited by Huzzad (see edit history)

Looks like a pretty solid car and might will be a good touring car immediately once you safety check the brakes, etc.

Looks like a later carburetor to me but I could be wrong on that. And definitely incorrect headlights which, in my opinion, really detract from an otherwise very good looking car.

Did you look up the serial number on my web site at Plymouth First Decade: Where is the VIN? ? If so it should have given you a little more than just the model name.

According to the standard catalog of american cars, there were either four or five lines of Chrysler for 1930 depending if you include the Imperial. They were Series 66, Series 70, Series 77 and the CJ. All are sixes.

Guest Huzzad

To Ply33, this is what I received when i placed the serial number I found.

Serial Number 7999225

Found in range 7996001 to 7999974

Serial 3225 of 3974

Year 1931

Make Chrysler

Model Name Finer 70

Model Code V

Engine 6 cylinder 268.9 cu.in. L-head

Wheelbase 116 9/16 inches

• 4 months later...

Not much to update about the car, It has been sitting in my garage. Took a month long trip across the country, and when i got back, it seemed like everyone wanted something from me. So... Now that I got time again, I am going to start looking over the parts in boxes I have and try to piece together what i actually have and what I need. I am a little reluctant in ruining something trying to remove or attach it. Does anyone know of a reputable person to piece this car together? And a company or shop to paint/chrome this car.

It is a Chrysler, 1931 radiator shell. Dash is the same as my 1930 Chrysler. Motor has wrong air cleaner on it and what is the extra water pump looking thing on top of the head? Never saw one of those. The car is a Royal Coupe, can't tell what series or model number from the pictures. Serial # or motor# would answer that.

D&D Classic Auto restored my 1930 Chrysler 70 Royal Coupe and did an excellent job, they are in Covington, Ohio. Check out their web site. Tke a look at the Sept. WPC News, my car is on the cover, same as your car body except yours has a '31 grill. Where are you located?

D&D Classic Auto restored my 1930 Chrysler 70 Royal Coupe and did an excellent job, they are in Covington, Ohio. Check out their web site. Tke a look at the Sept. WPC News, my car is on the cover, same as your car body except yours has a '31 grill. Where are you located?

The cover shot is great!

post-37352-143139239394_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

To Tim, The serial number is a few posts above mine. Ill repost it here.

Serial Number 7999225

Found in range 7996001 to 7999974

Serial 3225 of 3974

Year 1931

Make Chrysler

Model Name Finer 70

Model Code V

Engine 6 cylinder 268.9 cu.in. L-head

Wheelbase 116 9/16 inches