Can you identify this car?

Guest Brummbar

Guest Brummbar

I'm a librarian and amateur historian in Maryland, attempting to date an old photo. Identifying this car would help a lot. Any ideas?

We previously credited the pic as being "ca. 1918," but I think this car is early 1920's at the earliest. What do you think?

post-85976-143138999744_thumb.jpg

This car looks as though it has front wheel brakes so it is unlikely to be earlier than 1924 and the general styling looks more like 1924. It is obviously a 7 seater as it has the longer body overhanging the back axle typical of a 7 seater. In saying that the style of headlights is more like the early 1920s - most cars had drum ehadlights from about 1922 to about 1928 and then went to bullets. Still no closer to working out what it is though. I think it is too long to be an early Chrysler.

It does appear to have a 'shaped' radiator. Maybe it might be a Premier from around 1923-4?? The premier used a 126" wheelbase, whereas the contemporary Chrysler wheelbase was only 113".

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I can't tell a thing about your photo but the Model A Duesenberg introduced in 1922 had a straight-eight engine which would have necessitated a long hood, front-wheel brakes and drum headlights. Also there was a 7-passenger model and the shortest wheelbase was 134-inches.

Guest Brummbar

... though the one in my picture has wood-spoke wheels, not wire. Would Duesenberg have even offered wood?

Guest Brummbar

From reading through that Duesenberg advertising brochure, it appears the Model A did not offer wood-spoke wheels.

Here's the higher-res picture promised before -- doubt it will help much, though. I think the one in the center is about a 1915 Ford Model T, and the one on the right is moving too much to be identified.

post-85976-143139054273_thumb.jpg