Pre war Buick identification

DaveT

Hi Guys

I'm in the UK and trying to identify the series type of what I understand is a Buick in the attached picture (2nd from left license plate RG2646).

It belonged to my late grandfather (he died in Normandy, WW2) and was first registered in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1932. That is all I know.

Particularly interested to find out what the script is on the radiotor above the license plate - any ideas?

Ultimate aim is to find out what happened to this car which was sold on in 1944.

Thanks guys.

Dave

post-85961-143138998634_thumb.jpg

I think both of the cars on the left are 1931 Buick series 50 models - the first of the straight eights. They appear to have the newer style radiator cap. I presume they would be Canadian-built McLaughlin-Buicks sold new in UK. The second one looks to have lost its badge bar already. I think the 'script' you can see above the number plate is just some thing on the photo.

I think the next two cars are an Austin and a Hillman and I am not sure but the car on the right might be an Erskine.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Radiator shell indicates 1930 or 1931 and as nzcarnerd points out the radiator cap appears to have the 8 on it which of course was used on 1931 models ( 1930 was still a 6 cylinder engine ). That and the 1st registration being in 1932 probably points to a 1931 model Buick Dominion Sedan.

There should be a bar running between the headlights ( as on the far left car ) which has BUICK in a rectangle in the centre ( is this the scipt you mention? ).

There should also be some chrome staunchions under the headlights ( also visible on the left hand car ) which are missing on RG2646 - maybe accident damage saw these items damaged badly and not replaced?

I have attached copies of a period road test of a similar vehicle in the UK back in 1930/31 which you may find of interest.

post-31244-143138998645_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138998648_thumb.jpg

Hi

Just attached a few pictures of a 1931 McLaughlin Buick 90LX, registered in Edinburgh. Had a quick look for the registration numbers in the photos and they don't seem to be registered with the DVLA anymore. Sorry I can't help.

Colin

post-52478-14313899893_thumb.jpg

post-52478-143138998934_thumb.jpg

post-52478-143138998938_thumb.jpg

Just been reminded that this pic has had an outing before - http://forums.aaca.org/f170/mystery-dimples-scotland-271537.html - and we are still no further in identifying the car on the right.

Leif, I think the apparent difference in radiator size might be an illusion caused by the angle of the photo. Both cars appear to have the same type of radiator cap. I think these are 1931 series 50s, which used the smaller 1930 Marquette chassis whereas the 1930 series 40 was a bigger car and became the 1931 series 60.

Re the Buick registered in Scotland from Colinvoice, that is obviously a big series model and might have a larger radiator. It is certinly a much bigger car all round.

Any 1931 experts out there can say how much difference, if any, there was in size of the radiator shells in 1931 between the different series?

50jetback's attachment illustrates that cars were sold new un Uk with no bumpers.

Yes that's right.

I asked a local car club here in the UK and the gentleman there must have come to this site with it.

Very keen to find out more about all in the picture but mostly about RG2646.

Thanks again for all help.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Interesting that you brought this one up again just as I was cruising through the pre war Buick section. I see that I was the first to reply back at the beginning. Don't have anything further to add though.

Many thanks. Your input was much appreciated.

• 5 years later...

Guys

8 years on from my first post came to a dead end some time ago on this but a COVID-19 lockdown has brought me back to this.

Anybody who can add anything to the much welcomed help above would be appreciated.

Thanks