Anyone actually seen a 1931 Sedan Delivery?

Guest Metal Twister

Guest Metal Twister

I'm new to the early Chevy world but I have a question. I just purchased a 1931 Chevrolet 4 door body only. Im thinking seriously about turning it into a 2 door sedan delivery for a shop truck / parts runner. I find that Chevrolet did indeed make a Sedan Delivery in 1931 but I only been able to find one real picture of one that I can study. There are a few poor drawings on line but I cant find a real picture? Does anyone here have one? Or do you know where I can find a couple original photographs of them. I know its a strange request but I've searched and searched with no luck with the exception of this one photo. And Im not sure its a 1931? The main question I have is... is the front door on this picture the size of a four door front door or a two door front door?

32sedandeliverychevy.jpg

I'm new to the early Chevy world but I have a question. I just purchased a 1931 Chevrolet 4 door body only. Im thinking seriously about turning it into a 2 door sedan delivery for a shop truck / parts runner. I find that Chevrolet did indeed make a Sedan Delivery in 1931 but I only been able to find one real picture of one that I can study. There are a few poor drawings on line but I cant find a real picture? Does anyone here have one? Or do you know where I can find a couple original photographs of them. I know its a strange request but I've searched and searched with no luck with the exception of this one photo. And Im not sure its a 1931? The main question I have is... is the front door on this picture the size of a four door front door or a two door front door?

32sedandeliverychevy.jpg

That photo looks to be of a 1932 given the fact that it has the large headlamps and one piece bumpers. The door would be the size of a two door or coupe.

Guest Metal Twister
The door would be the size of a two door or coupe.

Are you positive about the door size? Here is a pic of a 2 door about the same angle picture. The door on the tudor looks longer to me than the door on the delivery? On the 2 door the B pillar is almost half way back on the body?

8O1IOLY7ZC6MBKZNYR.jpg

Guest Metal Twister
What do the doors on the 5-window coupe look like?, as keiser31 mentioned.

Here is a 5 window and a 3 window... Im thinking the 3 window and the Tudor Sedan are the same and the 5 window and 4 door sedan are the same. I'm really impressed with how advanced the actually metal parts of the body are over the Fords being built in 1931... Flush fitting doors, welded rear body section, not bolted. If they would of lost the wood earlier I think they would have out lived the Fords in quality and popularity.

1931ChevyCoupeside.jpg

31chev42661-4.jpg

Edited by Metal Twister (see edit history)

It's hard to say if the doors from a 5-window would work or not, without a close up pictures of one on the sedan delivery, and you would still have to take careful measurements of all the dimensions. Or perhaps make a template of the door's opening and see how it fits in the 5-window's.

Guest Metal Twister
It's hard to say if the doors from a 5-window would work or not, without a close up pictures of one on the sedan delivery, and you would still have to take careful measurements of all the dimensions. Or perhaps make a template of the door's opening and see how it fits in the 5-window's.

Yep, that's the reason for the title and original question. Trying to find a measurement. Guess at this point it really doesnt matter if no one knows what they are supposed to look like. :rolleyes:

Guest Metal Twister

Well being no one seems to have one or really know what is correct I'm going to press on with this project. The car was Photoshopped into a Sedan Delivery using the stock front door and I think it looks in proportion. Here is a before and after.

CIMG0020.jpg

13gpn.jpg

13eby.jpg

Edited by Metal Twister (see edit history)

Guest Metal Twister
There's a sedan Delivery from Delaware that used to go to all the shows around S.E. Pa., South Jersey, Md and Del. It still shows up at Macungie. It's labeled as a 33 but you'd swear it's a 32. Like Fords they carried the year old bodies forward for another year in the trucks.

I'm my research the difference between the 31 and 32 are few. 31 had the regular old looking hood louvers, two piece bumper, and a visor. 32 had the square louvers, a cowl vent, no visor, and a one piece bumper. Oh and I'm not liking the extreme chop look but I thought Id throw it up for conversation sake. LOL

I just found this on HAMB posted by 731132 of Sweden. According to some of the above posts it would be a 31, what with the louvers on the hood and the visor but I still think Chevy carried some older sheet metal forward on trucks. Note the painted headlight buckets and the smooth panel sides

ils-s-073.jpg

Guest Metal Twister

I'm thinking that is a panel delivery. The overhang in the back, the cloth wrapping over the top, and the rear fenders are inset into the body. You may be right in the carry over in the panel delivery but I'm thinking the sedan delivery is truly a sedan with a few mods? Thanks for the pics though I'm learning a lot about these things in the past few days. lol

I just found this on HAMB posted by 731132 of Sweden. According to some of the above posts it would be a 31, what with the louvers on the hood and the visor but I still think Chevy carried some older sheet metal forward on trucks. Note the painted headlight buckets and the smooth panel sides

ils-s-073.jpg

This one has a '32 radiator shell.

• 1 year later...

Hi...I have Chevrolet Sedan Delivery 1931. original With a straight six If you like Pictures send me a mail and I`ll send them...

Hi...I have Chevrolet Sedan Delivery 1931. original With a straight six If you like Pictures send me a mail and I`ll send them. The file is to big to post it here

• 5 years later...