AULT PARK CONCOURS

DAVE A

I am leaving Friday for Cincinnati (home of Crosley) for the Ault Park Concours. Any tips or things that I must do while I am there??? How is the trailer parking??? I am really looking forward to this one as it represents returning my Crosley to its "home" after 61 years.

It's OK West, I understand, and you are correct, it was the hill climb the day before. That car had a long and storied run as a "killer" of larger and more powerful cars on the track. The present owner took it on a couple of untimed runs.

2 Cincy musts: Skyline chili and Greater's ice cream. If you can find it, try some goetta (a meat like sausage).

Skyline Chili is not chili in any normal, non-Ohio sense. It's really a mildly spicy Greek/Mediterranean spaghetti sauce served over spaghetti with a ton of shredded cheddar cheese. I love it, especially as a "4-way with beans". If you order a normal 4-way you'll get shredded onions, with beans coming only on the 5-way. (And yes, the cheese only is known in Cincinnati as a 3-way, which will make this thread come up on a number of questionable google searches for the remainder of eternity. :o;))

If you like the chili, it can be purchased in cans or as a mix in any grocery store here. There is a competing chain of nearly equal size called Gold Star Chili, and numerous small/local places that make their own versions as well. They're each slightly different, and people have their preferences (sometimes strong ones!), but I've never had a dish of the stuff I didn't think was delicious!:)

Graeter's (correct spelling) is excellent ice cream, but really no more so than can be found in most cities IMHO.

Goetta is a seasoned sausage product mixed with steel-cut oats. I find it delicious, and it has the added benefit of being MUCH healthier than normal sausage or bacon. 99% of all the goetta sold on earth is sold within 50 miles of Cincinnati. Not many restaurants serve it, but it can be found (usually as a substitute for bacon at breakfast) at Perkin's, Frisch's (Big Boy), and Red Squirrel chain restaurants, as well as in many local places like Price Hill Chili, The Anchor Grill, etc. A few places make their own goetta, but most serve Glier's brand (which is the most expensive and [imho] best in local grocery stores).:)

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

As for other things to do, unfortunately Cincinnati isn't one of the most scenic or historically significant cities around. It does have a first class zoo and art museum (free!, w/ $4 parking lot), but most of the historical parts of the city (Crosley Field, King Records studio, etc.) are now long gone. North of town in Mason the original Voice of America building is now a museum dedicated to it's previous history, with funky-looking (and ancient) WLW broadcasting tower next door.

VERY near Ault Park in Cincinnati is the Columbia Parkway (U.S. 50), which is an interesting mid-1930s Art-Deco urban parkway about 5 miles long. It makes for a nice drive, but not at rush hour!:eek:

The only automotively significant attraction that I can think of nearby is also in Dayton, The Packard Museum ( America's Packard Museum - The Citizens Motorcar Company ). If you have the time it's worth the trip there to see hat they have. A group is trying to build a national museum (in the U.S.) for British cars ( British Transportation Museum ), but it has yet to come to fruition.

Also, if you're interested in WW II aircraft and do not have time to drive all the way to Dayton, there is The Tri-State Warbirds Museum ( http://tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/ ) nearby in Amelia, which while MUCH smaller is unique in that their planes (including a B24 and P51) are maintained in flying condition!:cool:

Getting away from food, as if that's the only thing to see in Cinci; I love to drive around the city and look at all the beautiful vintage architecture. It's rare that a large city has so many old buildings still standing. Kudos to Cinci, for that!

The Cincinnati Museum Center ( a former Art-Deco train station) is probably foremost among the preserved structures here. Also the Roebling Bridge (precursor to the Brooklyn Bridge) is an important structure to see (and drive over!:cool:).

Finally there is the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center ( National Underground Railroad Freedom Center - Cincinnati, Ohio ), whick has a preserved slave quarters inside among it's many displays.

Just a little North of Dayton you'll find D&D Classic Auto Restoration in Covington, Ohio. Six large buildings of antique cars being restored. They give tours to groups. Covington also has Buffalo Jacks resturant, a wild food place to eat--snake--gator--fish-buffalo and others.

All good stuff....especially the food as I will be taking a Pa. Dutch friend with me. Thanks to everyone who contributed so far....keep em comin!! It looks like our time will be cut a little short as I just agreed to purchase another Crosley (already added to my signature). It is a 1947 Crosley Convertable!!!

Don't forget Pinecroft, Powel Crosley's Estate located at 2336 Kipling Aveue in the Mount Airy neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Just reopened after a restoration.

Dave,

You should enjoy this event as it set up with surrounding gardens and the show parking is on grass. The parking for the trailers in a separate field area very close to the actual show area and some parking on the surrounding street. I have attended this event a couple of times and my wife and I always look forward to attending. We will have our 240Z (orange) there so stop by and say hello.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip and I hope to see you there.

We've been in the show three times. It's very well organized and the site is beautiful this time of the year. The flowers in the botanical gardens are in full bloom so there will be bees. The micro and smaller cars are usually on the pavilion overlooking the larger show field, a great view.

Take a GPS as it's very easy to get lost around there. The drive up to where the show is is a show in itself. Beautiful homes in beautiful settings.

Good luck to you.

Ah Dave, you are doing your PA Dutch friend a big favor as getting away from chow chow, Hawg Maw, the concrete fixer shoo fly pie, and other delicacies might be a good thing!:D Since moving here I have not acquired the taste. My staff keep asking me what Midwest food is and I tell them strange things like steak, chicken, fish, and of course the world's greatest pizza Chicago Deep Dish (although Peterson is the only person I ever heard who did not like it):)

Have a great time at Ault Park...we wish them a sunshine day and hope ours in Hershey is too.

If you are into the finer things in life, there is the Aronoff Center for the Arts, which features first rate off-Broadway performances.

Also, there is The Playhouse in the Park, which is currently running "The Second City, 2", a comedy.

Downtown, there are several great Clubs, including The Blue Wisp Jazz (and Blues) Club.

Don't forget the wide selection of Cincinnati Beer! The Moerlein Lager House is right next door to the Baseball Stadium and Underground Railroad Museum. Across the river in Newport is the Newport Levee, which has restaurants, movie theater, aquarium, and shopping. Across the street from that is the Hofbräuhaus.

Jim;

We will be meeting Doug D and Glenn H for a time on Saturday afternoon.

Bob;

I have no idea what class they put me in(not that it matters) but we may be in adjoining sports car classes. I try to remember to look for the Z.

Barry;

Just being a part of the show is good luck to me. Being in the company of so many beautiful and valuable cars is a pleasure all its own. I will be up your way in July at St. Johns.

Steve;

I happen to like Shoo Fly Pie. Have you tried Pig Stomach yet??? I am partial to deep dish too, but my wife likes thin!!

Dave;

I can bring pie along.....what variety??? Shoo Fly???

Brian;

Won't have a lot of time for extended entertainment but thank you....Oh and the beer is out for us!!!

Thanks again to all. If any of you are there, please stop by and say hello!!!

As for other things to do, unfortunately Cincinnati....does have a first class...art museum (free!, w/ $4 parking lot)...

I picked up the local free newspaper yesterday, and found out that starting 6/19 the Art Museum will be displaying the original driving Aston-Martin DB5 stunt car used by Sean Connery in Thunderball and Goldfinger for scenes in which he drove. If you can stick around for a week....:o

http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/explore/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/1-the-exhibitions/716-aston-martins-db5

Edited by Dave@Moon
added link (see edit history)

Dave,

I hope you enjoyed the show. Your car is very impressive and everytime I came by you were always talking about it to a crowd on people. I hope to see you again at a future AACA show. Here are a couple of pics of Dave's great looking car.

post-57753-143139054884_thumb.jpg

post-57753-143139055139_thumb.jpg

post-57753-143139055145_thumb.jpg

post-57753-143139055148_thumb.jpg

Bob;

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I think I saw you lined up for the awards ceremony...if so congratulations!!! I never got to see it, because I was literally swamped with visitors all day. It is rare to get such a large, enthusiastic and well informed crowd. Got to talk to several folks that knew the Crosley family and get some great stories. I also talked with a guy who claimed he was a parts runner as a kid in the factory. I have asked him to forward a story or 2 to me and he said he would. I also got to meet Dave@moon who is also fine individual and a pleasure to talk to. Lots of highlights to the trip, a well run show, well organized, great location good parking etc etc. but 2 that stand out. first was a photograph with the mayor of Cincinnati who cam by just to see the "hometown car". and the second was this other car that followed me home from just north of Cincinnati.

Guest Bill Miller

Dave,

Back to the original subject on what to see in Cincinnati, I highly recommend driving across the river (that's the Ohio River) to Newport KY to see the Aquarium. Not as large as Atlanta's (no place is) but it's a good second especially if you have kids with you. And there's a great view of downtown Cincinnati from there and a descent seafood restaurant called Mitchell's right there on the levee next to the Aquarium that's reasonably priced. Also, if you are into that sort of thing, the Art Museum is very near Ault Park and is first-rate. There's also a fascinating fire engine museum downtown about a block or two from the federal courthouse (maybe on Race St ??) you should check out. Eat the corned beef at Izzy's.

Bill