Metz Wins Transcontinental Medal

MochetVelo

In the latest issue of Antique Automobile, Chris Ritter reprints an article from the August, 1916 MoToR Magazine. It lists contenders for the MoToR Transcontinental Tiffany silver medals. One driver, Mr. D.B. Basehore from Los Angeles, is listed as "en route" in his Metz. Since I'm restoring a 1913 Metz, I searched to discover if he ever completed his trip and won a medal, I found this site from the Lincoln Highway Museum. It lists medal winners from 1915 and '16, but no D.B. Basehore. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find another Metz driver had won a medal in 1915; a Mr. William H. Leland. Then, a shocker: he was from my home town of West Chester, PA!

Phil

post-52500-143138995664_thumb.jpg

Speaking of Metz triumphs, I found yet another intrepid cross-country success in a Metz; this one a 1914 model piloted by Mr. & Mrs. Seth A Keene who drove from Maine to California and then to Arizona! During the entire trip, they suffered but one tire blow-out and five punctures; no major mechanical problems were encountered. They carried two spares tires and an extra friction ring. To read the story from The American Chauffeur, with photos, go here.

Phil