Buick Special 1956 Model 41

Guest hudini

The clips are pretty standard but will range from 1/2 inch to 4". The metal ones with the spring stay in while you line up the holes. You can buy them on ebay if you can't find them. Looks like you got the rust out. A pain, but it will be much nicer. I would suggest some drain holes in the rockers. All the seams start rusting where dirt builds up and plugs drain holes. keep the metal clean and dry and rust will never get started. Enclosed areas will get wet from condensation, everything must drain. The factory drain holes on the rocker bottom aimed backwards, I suspect to keep water from splashing in

post-74392-143141737625_thumb.jpg

post-74392-14314173763_thumb.jpg

Todays fresh pics, this is just one hand painting, today and tomorrow go second hand. It look like new :D

This car is big...

Tomorrow new pics...

post-80658-143141739556_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739489_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739501_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739512_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739523_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739534_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141739545_thumb.jpg

That question probably has thousands of answers. I think most of the cost is based on how much body work is required before hand. But just for the paint on a prepared body I would guess the supply list would look like:

assorted primers: A base primer of either self etching or catylst primer, a filler primer, and a sealer primer.

1 1/2 gal of paint for the entire car, and another quart for your two tone area.

If you used a base coat system, then add 1 1/2 gal clear coat, and then

hardners, reducers, thinners, and probably a fisheye preventer depending on the possibility the surface of the vehicle may be contaminated.

Not quite sure what all this would cost but I imagine the paint supplies listed would be in the $500- $700 range Then you have to add labor...

I understand all that. Here in Croatia I ask 10 painter's, everyone was from 1550 to 2100 $. By your post paint suppliers cost same here. Thank you.

i dont have that much experience. Car is ready to paint. I think in 2 month well be done. Still thinking about colors.

This are pics from assembly

post-80658-143141758991_thumb.jpg

now I need your help. Could someone tell me which door bumpers I need and in which places they are in doors. Thank you.

post-80658-143141758951_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141758965_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143141758978_thumb.jpg

now that's a tough question! Maaco would do one for around $500, for the budget minded. Being you have the car all prepped, a topnotch multi stage paint is going to be more in the $1000 range- but that's just the paint. The bucks really start piling up when you sand every coat, it's countless hours of labor. You could easily spend 5K plus. The quick answer would be 3K for a decent paint job.

Hudini, Not quite experienced enough to answer your question about the door bumpers, but I can tell you this, you probably have more than enough experience to paint that car.

Figure it this way. With the initial coat of primer, and then the coats of catylst primer, then the coats of filler primer, you should have enough of an idea of how to reach every spot on that car with the spray gun. The top coats are ( in my opinion) as easy as the primer once you have developed a strategy to hit all corners of the car with paint. Look for natural breaks in the car. For example the top itself. Paint that as a separate unit. Do that first and then when the paint has hardened you can cover it over to do the lower body. And if you can get a HVLP paint gun, you will find it even easier to put on the top coats.

Here's a true story. I had a 95 Riviera and the top half of the drivers door needed to be painted. a local body shop quoted $500.00 for just the top half of the door. I bought the paint and a paint gun ( this was a three stage paint in that I had to have a certain base color under the top color and then clear coat on top of that) for less than that $500. I then proceeded to paint the top of the door, the right front fender and the trunk lid and I could have gone even further if I had had the time. Putting on the top color is like eating the frosting on the cake. It is so sweet!

Given what all you just did, I figure you may as well paint it. You obviously figure out how to get stuff done. Don't want to assume what your paint budget is, but I have seen awesome single stage paint jobs. I bet you have a paint store available. the reason I don't paint cars is that you really need a paint booth- but you can get around that if you hose down the shop before you paint. The paint codes and even the swatches are not hard to find. I would suggest going with the body tag but if you find a color combo you like, try to stay with original colors. I am assuming you want to keep the car as original, looks like you have done a very nice job and probably have a much tougher time getting NOS parts. How are all your chrome and stainless pieces?

• 3 months later...
Guest Higgs56

Wow hudini, you are getting things done so quick! I wish I was that fast at getting work done. Great car, and thank you for posting so many pictures of your progress. It is really exciting to see all the stages of work!

• 7 months later...

hi, to all. This is my Buick at this time. Hard work, patching, sanding is done. Buick is in primer and ready for painting. This car I want to putt in original state. So the colour would be blue/white. The reason why Buick is not yet finish is...post-80658-143142361037_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143142361066_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143142361092_thumb.jpg