1929 DeSoto Roadster

alsfarms

OK.....My DUMB question. I have been working on an Advanced 6 Nash and had Nash on the brain. I also know that the Seaman Nash body is not the same....WOW...STUPID me!. My real question. Is a 1929 DeSoto Roadster body the same as some version of a Chrysler product of 1929 or 1930? I may have leads on a 1929 DeSoto parts car with the roadster body. Be patient with me and try again on my "better" question.

Regards,

Alan

Guest stephen48

Hi Alan .The 1929 Desoto roadster body is the same as the 1929 Plymouth and 1929 Chrysler 65 from the doors back.The 29 Desoto roadster cowl is higher than the Plymouth and Chrysler 65.

I hope this helps.(I did think you may have meant to ask this first time!)

Hello Again,

Still trolling for information on the DeSoto roadster body. I noticed that no reference was made regarding similarities with Dodge or large series Chrylser. I thought the DeSoto line was nearly the same as the larger series Chrysler 75 and 77. Please chime in if you have any experience with the different lines of Chrysler.

Regards,

Alan

Guest stephen48

The Chrysler 75 has similar styling to the Desoto but the body is bigger on the Chrysler.It will not interchange.

The Chrysler 77 has different styling altogether.

The Dodge is different.

The 1930 Chrysler 66 and Cj 6 also have the same body as the Desoto.

Hello Stephen,

You have lead me to another question. Is the 1929 DeSoto roadster the same as the 1930? Or are they apples and oranges. If this project could become a reality, would it be better to build as a DeSoto or find a Chrysler variant to build?

Alan

Guest stephen48

The body is the same as the six but not the eight.

I think the restoration project would depend on what is available to use the body on.If you have a complete Desoto body , Desoto running gear or Chrysler 66 would probably be the best option.The Chrysler 66 has a longer wheelbase but the body is still the same apart fron the hood.If the body is definately Desoto and you can get Desoto running gear that is probably the best way to go for the sake of originality.

Can you post a photo of the Desoto which will clarify the position ?

The 1929 K and the 1930 CK sixes are, to most people, the same. For 1930 the radiator surround was made larger and the cowl lamps were moved to the fenders. The K and CK sixes share many parts with the Chrysler 65 series. You should pursue the car, there are only a few of these remaining.

post-79380-143138995926_thumb.jpg

It was my understanding that the DeSoto was basically a Plymouth with a six cylinder engine and deluxe trim. Many chassis and body parts were the same.

From the info above it seems they used the Plymouth body but changed the cowl and firewall area. This would make sense if they used a different hood and grille to give the DeSoto a distinctive appearance they would have to alter the body to fit.

It was my understanding that the DeSoto was basically a Plymouth with a six cylinder engine and deluxe trim. Many chassis and body parts were the same.

From the info above it seems they used the Plymouth body but changed the cowl and firewall area. This would make sense if they used a different hood and grille to give the DeSoto a distinctive appearance they would have to alter the body to fit.

The front of the Plymouth cowl is more narrow than the others, I believe.

The front of the Plymouth cowl is more narrow than the others, I believe.

This is correct. One of the first things I noticed about the 1929 Plymouth Roadster at the AACA museum was the cowl and hood are much more narrow than the Desoto.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martylum

Hi-I have a 30 Desoto CK roadster and always thought Plymouth 29 and 30 roadster bodies were the same as Desoto. A trip through the 2 parts books in the roadster body area shows no matching numbers for the body parts listed. There is, however, a number for number match between the Desoto CK 1930 model and a chrysler CJ 1930 model on the roadster DOOR leading me to suspect the CJ might be a Chrysler badged Desoto? No major body sections other than doors and rumble lids were listed in the early 30s parts books. This door is wood framed as is the body meaning they may have been made in house by Chrysler.

Nice thing about Chrysler family parts in this era is they carry the same Part # across the model line if the same. A lot of the roadster body hardware do carry the same part # across the line.

Martin Lum

1930 Desoto

• 1 year later...
I think I have the 1929 roadster parts car mentioned. I am looking for a parts car to complete it.

Hello Bob, Yes, you had parts/project, as I recall. I also ran across a 1929 DeSoto Roadster project in the Salt Lake City area. I opted not to pursue that car as the 1929 Nash Advanced 6 project is still in my way. Does anyone have spare 1929 Nash Advanced 6 parts and pieces for sale? I am also looking for a few 1937 DeSoto coupe parts if anyone here may have a stash of parts or a parts car.

Alan