38 Lincoln-Zephyr charging system,

Mssr. Bwatoe

Hi gang, Welcome to summer...I need to see pic of 38 /37 charging system set up on 12 cyl. The parts book doesnt specify 3 brush or 2 brush generator with either cutout mounted on unit or modern regulator 2 brush system..both are avail...The fire wall of my car has 2 screws not 3 in regulator spot..system was cobbled...any pictures from meets..I have 39-up all use new style..(yes starter sol wiring now, corrected)

81a1000 a, b, c ,d 3 or 2 brush ??????

Jeff, I believe the '38 cars came with either system. My '38 was an early production car and it had the 3 brush generator and cut out. There evidently was a running change and the 2 brush generator regulator set up was used on the later cars. Perhaps some one transplanted a later model manifold, carb (4 bolt) and generator on this engine? The serial number may help determine if this was an early or late production car and you can sort out how it should be equipped? The plumbing on the oil filter may also be a clue; the early production cars had the filter return line plumbed into the oil pan.

I should have known you would help me! Yes it has that early filter set up..Car had jury rigged regulator hanging..but my real question is what regulates power?? The little device on top of 3 brush generator is a cut out..it turns off the battery..but what controls voltage / current?? Looks like a spot on firewall for a 2 both device right in front of driver..not horn relay, not starter sol, not 2 speed control...what else is there?? this picture shows a lighter green spot in between the 2 screws..

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Jeff, The charging rate on a 3 brush generator is set by moving the 3rd(field) brush up or down. With the engine running and the generator putting out voltage the cut-out/regulator "cuts-in" when battery voltage is about 6.1 to 6.2 volts and allows the generator to charge the battery at what ever rate the field brush is set at. When the battery becomes fully charged a circuit in the cut-out will switch in a resistance that cuts the charging rate approximately in half. As long as the engine is running and the generator is putting out voltage the cut-out stays connected to the battery. When you shut off of the engine and the generator ceases to have any output the cut-out opens the circuit to the battery. There are built in limits in the generator field circuit but the most desireable charging rate is the lowest that keeps the battery charged.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)