Tires for a 41 Lincoln

Guest AZscott

Guest AZscott

Hi all,

I finally got my 41 cabriolet running! Now I need tires. I am looking at the Firestone 4" or the Lester 4.5" bias. Can anyone give me suggestions on what they have and what they reccomend. I have read some older posts where there were complaints that the Lester whitewall yellowed.

Thanks

Scott

My 1939 Zephyr convertible coupe had Firestone 7.00:16 whitewalls on it when I got it. I have no idea how old they were, but they looked great and the car drove very well.

When I was able to replace the 15" radials that were on my 1941 Continental when I bought it, I replaced them with Firestone 7.00:16 bias ply tires from Coker and have been very pleased with the ride and appearance.

These tires were original equipment for these cars.

post-31768-143138981818_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138981823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Good Morning Scott:

My '41 cabriolet came with 15" wheels and really cool Double Eagle bias ply tires. Unfortunately, after having been in storage for 40 years or so, the tires had cracks in them big enough to stick your finger in. So after I got it running again, I decided to try radial wide whites. I purchased Yokohama tires from and outfit in Eastern Canada which they brought in from Diamondback Tires in one of the Carolinas. I am very pleased with the way the car handles. I have had many other antique cars, all on bias ply tires. I think I would always go with radials in the future.

I notice you are located south of us a day or two. I'd love to see a picture of your 41 if you want to send one some time. Do you plan on restoring it? Did you rebuild your engine?

Mike L.