Mercer Tool Kit: who made the tools?

ersatzS2

From a post on the general forum I got an education on the wrenches made for the Rudge-Whitworth wheels. No ideas from the general crowd, though, on who the OEM supplier of tools might have been (surely there were several) for the Mercer. Any wisdom here? The tool manual lists an impressive array and it would be way cool to assemble an accurate set...

post-71557-143138977963_thumb.jpg

post-71557-143138977965_thumb.jpg

post-71557-143138977967_thumb.jpg

You are correct! I had completely forgotten that. there is a Sporting owner in California who has a complete set.

Other info, for manufacturers of mercer parts.

Cock: Waltham (opinions vary as to which model) according to Waltham historians it should be a 15 jewel with a wind indicator (red dot). Acording to the 1921 series 5 parts catalog the writing on the face should say "Waltham USA" above the six the wind indicator is difficult to discern in the photo but does look to be there.

Springs: Perfection

Top materials: Pantisote except for 1922-1923

Bumper: (1931) U.S.E.

Cooling Fan: Sparton

Horn: Stewart

Paint: Valentine & Company

Crankshafts: Automobile Crankshaft Corp (Detroit)

Front axle grease cups: Michigan Marine

Battery: Prest-O-Lite (1921)

Tires: Goodyear (1921)

Rims: Firestone (outer only)

Ignition: Eiseman (1921)

Start & Lighting: Westinghouse (1921)

Carburetor: Penberthy (ball & Ball)

Bearings: Various (depends on year, model, and duty)

All of the above info gathered through data sheets and advertisements from 1920's periodicals, and Mercer publications.

What is that monster wrench in the center top of the photo?:confused: It looks more like a tool to stamp new hubcaps than it does the wrench to remove them (13210). Could it be for a pre L-head year? My 13210 is much less substantial and is forged with the words Rudge Whitworth in the handle.

Your 10578 looks very nice, you can thank Mr. Galitin for that if I recall Joe's story correctly. Both of mine took a lot of hammer blows back in the day, one actually delaminated down the middle of the handle.:eek: Those "over-restored" hub nuts that the guy on TV complained about did it some good.:P

What is that monster wrench in the center top of the photo?:confused: It looks more like a tool to stamp new hubcaps than it does the wrench to remove them (13210). Could it be for a pre L-head year? My 13210 is much less substantial and is forged with the words Rudge Whitworth in the handle.

Your 10578 looks very nice, you can thank Mr. Galitin for that if I recall Joe's story correctly. Both of mine took a lot of hammer blows back in the day, one actually delaminated down the middle of the handle.:eek: Those "over-restored" hub nuts that the guy on TV complained about did it some good.:P

Interesting that your 13210 is different. You may be right that I have an older tool. So far I don't see anything that it fits. Yes the 10578 is in pretty good shape compared with other knock-offs that have passed through my possession! I have two locking rings, both for the left hand side and pretty rough.

A pleasant surprise of the car has been this trove of spares. Many of the details that led to the 'over-restored' comment were safely preserved eg original radiator badge, Moto-meter.

• 1 month later...
From a post on the general forum I got an education on the wrenches made for the Rudge-Whitworth wheels. No ideas from the general crowd, though, on who the OEM supplier of tools might have been (surely there were several) for the Mercer. Any wisdom here? The tool manual lists an impressive array and it would be way cool to assemble an accurate set...

Set is coming together!

toolacqsofar1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Found a nice set of the billings pliers. These seem rare. This plated version is likely later than the teens but appears to be correct style. The Firestone wheel wrench appears exactly correct although of course it is for the artillery wheels of the touring not a Raceabout with Rudge Whitworth. I got it anyhow.

The Billings & Spencer wrench set shown was the real find. They include the right sizes for the Mercer kit, and come with a great original tool roll. Most are in fantastic shape. They have a painted finish, polished at the raised faces.

post-71557-143139271102_thumb.jpgpost-71557-143139271102_thumb.jpg

post-71557-143139271081_thumb.jpg

post-71557-143139271118_thumb.jpg