1940 engine and trans same as 1946 ??

ceejay

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a spare engine and trans for my 1946 Super.

I have found the engine and trans from a 1940 Super, in the USA. I live half way across the world and before buying this and having it shipped to me, I want to make sure it is correct for my car.

Is the engine and trans from a 1940 super, the same as on a 1946 Super ?

If not, what are the differences ?

Thanks !!

Is you car right hand drive?

If it is the transmission are different (LHD vs RHD)

Engine will OK. But to be 100% sure to get the engine numbers (your engine and the new engine)

Would the whole transmission be different or just the side the selector comes out of ?

The engine in my car has engine number 45921585 the engine I am looking at buying has engine number RE-132443

I am unsure if 1940 and 46 transmission swap

On RHD the selector rods come out the other side. Casing is not the same

The part number of the internal forks (to move the gears) and cross rods are different

Gears are the same

In my view you will not be able to use a LHD transmission.

Only way will be to put the bits inside your RHD casing

But the internal forks do wear and can be a problem

RE means the engine was re manufactured. Maybe in the 1940's

Edit:

Try this.

from http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1948-49/Group4/index.htm

You may need to click to get it to fill the screen

Is 1948 but about the same as 1940 -1946.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1948-49/Group4/pages/48-49BuickShopManual0152_jpg.htm

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I would come back to Allan's original question. Is your car a LHD or RHD ?? I see by the link above by Allan, yours is a RHD. Along with the transmission differences your bigger problem is the bellhousing. Your clutch fork comes out the right side of the bellhousing and left hand drives come out on the left. You could change over the bellhousings but you'd need to realign the bellinghousing with the crank and that is a real ***** of a job for the average bod. Better to look around Australia to find an original RHD unit. There are quite a few here. Why do you need a "spare" engine ??

Danny

(Hmmm, seems I can't say b!tch on our forum, learning all the time :):) )

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your input !!

As long as the internal components of the 40 trans will swap into my 46 trans, that's OK. What I'm really looking for is the gears and shafts. The shift forks, i can use mine.

Would be ideal to find a RHD trans but I have no idea how to even start looking for one in Australia.

I want to pull my engine out for a re build some time but don't want to take the car off the road till its done. Overhauls can take a looong time to do over here, as every part has to be imported from the USA (I live in Sri Lanka)

Here are some photos of my car

post-69372-143138975494_thumb.jpg

post-69372-14313897553_thumb.jpg

My, it is wierd looking to see those pictures of a '46 Buick with RHD. I've never seen a RHD straight 8 Buick before, and I've been fooling with old Buicks for well over 50 years. The engine is the same in 1940 and 1946, except of course as they say the bell housing would be different between LHD and RHD. I can tell you from experience that removing a bellhousing is well beyond very difficult. In my experience the crankshaft had to come out.

Guest Grant Magrath

Hey Earl, come down here and take our 38 for a spin!

You get used to driving on the other side. No big deal in an old car. In the Vette, it's a bit trickier because you have to overtake the muppets who think it's cool to drive at 90kph in 100kph areas. In the old ones, I tend to stick to 80kph (50mph) and move over for the faster cars.

Ceejay, we've just rebuilt our 39 coupe trans. I can't recommend North West Transmissions in Ohio high enough. They can supply you with pretty much everything you need. Talk to them first to see if there are any bit's (LHD) you don't need! And given our 39 coupe has a 47 Series 50 engine, you should have no issues there!

Cheers

Grant

Grant & Danny: I almost got down there to Australia one time, but my boss saw where the trip was to and said, "uh, uh, Junior, I'm gonna take that trip myself." I think the place was called "Paradise Beach". I'd have to sell the '41 to have enough money to come down there now, lol.

Guest Grant Magrath

Exchange rate's better for you now Earl. The Model 41 should be enough! Wasn't Surfers Paradise was it? Nice spot.

Danny, how are the Blues looking this year?

Cheers

Grant