For Sale: 1931 833/467

Guest Cynthia

Guest Cynthia

For Sale: 1931 833/467 5 passenger Victoria Opera Coup with a straight 8 engine that has been completely reconditioned. The wheelbase is 134". It has factory added 1932 front and twin tail lights, pilot lights in front, cloisonne crank hole cover, 3 door hood, v radiator shell, headlight bar, wire wheels and outside horns. It was originally purchased 11/25/31 in Queens County, NY.

In addition to the outside horn, it also has Spartan horns that play "How Dry I Am". Has been owned and driven by a single owner for the last 25 years and is kept in a heated garage. Asking price is $195,000.00 will consider reasonable offers.

post-85229-143138973942_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138973953_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138973972_thumb.jpg

post-85229-14313897399_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138974008_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138974025_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138974041_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138974058_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138974081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cynthia
Owner reconsidered price and updated. (see edit history)

West, Yes, Cynthia can ask any price she wants to. If it were me selling a car, and having no experience in doing such, I would appreciate the help. I think most people here would be more than happy to help her with a price that could bring on a sale, which is the object of her post. .B

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

West, my post (which you edited) wasn't meant to insult Cynthia. Like Packard32, I felt she may be sincerely unaware of the potential value of her car and in need of help to establish a realistic sale price. As I said previously, I would recommend she have the car evaluated by a knowledgeable Packard appraiser to determine a true market value. Certainly you're not suggesting that a seller can set any price they wish without regard to typical market values and still hope to sell a car?! I think it is a disservice to families who may have inherited cars they have little knowledge of not to assist a sale by sharing the knowledge we have regarding the market value of our cars.

West, I understand the policy, thus the way my first post was worded, and knowing that my second post would be deleted, which it was.

If the buy/sell is not really a "forum", then why not lock that particular section, so that only the person posting wanted or for sale can make comments?

Then, all contact with buyer/seller would have to be through PM or email, and no one would have to spend time going through posts to see what's appropriate to the forum rules.

By the by, I have been in contact with the person posting through PM, and she is very open to advice, but also trying to do what's right by the owner (family member).

Guest Packardsforever

Isn't a 833/467 just a Standard Eight? I didn't think they even made a Victoria Opera coupe for 1931.

Guest Cynthia

Adding a photo of the ID plate and the Flying Lady hood ornament. We will entertain all reasonable offers.

post-85229-143138988642_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138988663_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Cynthia

The owner has shown and discussed with an appraiser and is reducing the asking price to $78,000.00. A couple of items not previously mentioned; but, noted by the appraiser are the split front seat and the fact that the engine was rebuilt, not replaced.

• 1 year later...

Time to get this car to some one that has been thinking the price was too high. I am a friend of the family and have been authorized by the owner to sell this car for $70,000 . It was not run for 2 years, had a leak in the water pump seal, installed a new seal, checked every thing & started the car. This runs like a Packard should. Call Chuck at 603-217-7234 to make arrangements to view & test drive this beauty.

While looking around the garage, I see an extra transmission, 4 extra wire wheels, A starter, a generator. a stone guard, a extra grill, a 1931 Flying Lady complete with the radiator cap, 2 crank hole covers, 1 in nice condition, an owners manual & copy of the Packard Co. service manual. They are to go with the car when sold. Just thought that if anybody was interested in this car they may like to know what extras go with it.

Hi Hupp,

Curious does this car have the '32 upgrade? Oops my bad I re-read the first post it does

Is the stone guard V-shaped also?

Are they willing to sell the parts separately?

Edited by Packin31 (see edit history)

No, to selling parts. I will check the stone guard tomorrow, but it goes to the buyer of the car. Thank you for the inquiry. There is also a fitted trunk that goes with the car, but no fitted luggage. And yes it has the up grades. The upgrades we done at the dealership as I understand.

There are 2 stone guards both v- shaped & as soon as I figure out to get the pic off my phone, I will post it. Found a spare radiator today in the garage with part of the grill. Was planning to take the car for a ride, but it was raining. My friend says, That car has never seen rain since its restoration, After I installed the new water pump packing, my friend wanted it test run. Now who would say know to driving a pristine car like that. It better stop raining soon. I want to compare my Hupmobile to the Packard. Both being 8 cyl it should be interesting. I can hear you Packard guys laughing now.

A lot of times when people restore cars, they think about rebuilding the front ends, but then say "oh, it's good enough". I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that this car is that way also, and after you drive it, you'll say it drives like a truck! They drove nicely when everything was new....but few cars have all "new" when being restored.

My 1938 Super 8 convertible coupe drives nicely, but the last time I had to remove a front wheel, noticed the king pins were worn as could be...and this is a car that, after restoration, received a CCCA First with 99.75 points! (albeit a number of years ago...)

The Packard Registry 1991 by R-Mac Publications lists this car as a 1931 Model 833 Body 467 Coupe, 5 -pass Victoria. I do realize that not all Packards are listed in this book, but this car is the only 1 of this type listed. Just thought it may be a point of interest to some one that may have an interest in this car.

I called the owner and her brother went with her husband to Ohio to drive the car home, they had to put the wheels back on the front because the front end had all new parts installed. I also talked to her brother and confirmed what she told me. I will grease the car before I road test it. Hopefully this week will have some sunny days.

Dave, I understand that those items aren't judged, and that's my point...even if you buy a high point car, that's no guarantee that it's friendly to drive...the CCCA does judge how car runs, light and guage operation, and a couple other mechanical things....which is good...

This is a nice Packard, priced in the range of a lot of desirable cars....tough competition....

• 1 month later...

Well finally got to drive the Packard, larger steering wheel than my Hupp. Very smooth to steer & very quiet, About the same amount of pressure to turn the wheels on each car. Power wise I do not see much difference. With the Packards 4 speed trans, you do not need the 1st gear for normal driving.There is a gentleman coming this week to check the car out.I am sure he will like the way it looks, sounds & drives. He has several Packards but not 1 of this model.Thank you all for the attention you have given this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hupp36,

Roar are you a Lion?

I have been in the Lemont Lions here in Illinois for over 10 years now. It is a great organization to be part of.

To bad you weren't closer I would have love to attend the show.

• 10 months later...

Ok, I  spent the  day  with  the  owner,  she  said  to  lower  the  price  to  $50,000. If  you  ever wanted  a Packard that you  will not  see to  many  of,  this is  it. Call Chuck at  603 -217-7234.  I will show  you  the car, and  give  you  a test drive. The  price  is  right for  this  car

• 3 weeks later...

I sent Hupp36 two PM's and never heard back from the guy.  I ended up with another Packard.  Wonder if they ever sold this one as you can't sell a car if you don't reply?  Attached is a picture of my "new" 1930 Packard, completely restored.

Jay 

Novato, CA

post-100887-0-93110500-1438809864_thumb.

post-100887-0-37674300-1438809911_thumb.

I did not  see that  you  sent  me 2  PMs. I  do not have  any better pic of the  car.  If i was  really  interested in  making a  $50,000 investment, I would  have  the  car personally looked at by  a person that  knows Packard's .We  can  start &  drive the  car and  it  will  speak for  it self. If  a person  does this , then they  will know  what they are  buying,  not  a picture. I hope  this  helps  you. Chuck M

• 1 month later...

Well I  spent  a  day with  the  owner and  she  decided to  lower  the  price  to  $40,000. I  will  be  leaving for  Hershey Oct. 7th  till  the  10th. You  still  have  time  before Hershey to  view  the  car  &  test  drive  it.  Call  me  at 603-217-7234.  Chuck

I  think  you  would  agree since  I  started helping  this  elderly lady sell this  car,  the  price is  more  realistic. It  is  very easy to  pick  a price  out  of  thin air,  if  you  want  someone to  buy  it,  you  have  to  be in  the  ball park. It  is  in the  ball park now. This  car  will  speak  for  itself if  viewed in  person and  test  driven.

Four years ago, the  lady  who owns this car,  lost her  husband,  last  year she  lost  her brother that  was  one  of  my  best  friends. She  has  1  son that is  very busy with  his  own  life. I could  see that  she  needed some one to  help her  so  I  made  time  to  start &  run  the  Packard  from  time to  time &  show  it  to  potential buyers. I  knew we  had  to  do  something  about  the  selling  price  if  we  were ever  going to  sell  this  car.  I  do  believe we  have  done  that.  This  car was  a great love  of  her  husband and  it is  very  hard to  let  it  go.  I  hope  this  clears up  the  great difference in  starting price and  the  price  on  the car  now.

• 5 weeks later...

Just went up  and  started the  Packard for the  last  time before I  head  south. I  am the  only  1  this  lady wants to  have  show  this  car. This  being said, we  will be available in  April of 2016 to show  this  car. Hard to  believe over  300 views  since we lowered the  price and  3 calls.