1933 Chrysler Six

Guest JBSix

Guest JBSix

First post!

Hey guys...

Up until now I have always been a "new car" kinda person. But I saw this car at an estate sale and had to have it. I tried to find out all I could before I bought the car, but came up almost emtpy before I had to make a move. So I went in pretty much blind (yeh I know, possible huge mistake). But was confident in a couple things, there is hardly ANY good info on the web about this model but I know it isn't one of the "it" models. There aren't many around, in any condition. I know this because there is a decided lack of photo's of the car. The popular/more common/super-valueble models all have a ton of pictures from fans/onwners all over the web. Rarity can be a blessing or a curse...we will see.

The good-

This car has a ton of charisma/character. It's is so Gangster or Elliot Ness (depending on your disposition I guess) it's unreal. People have a real, emotional reaction when they see the car in person.

Very few parts are missing. Radiator cap, horns, shift knob are the obvious ones right now.

Sold panels.

Interior is in good shape.

The unknown-

I have a very reputable shop going over the mechanicals right now. At this moment we are going to get it to the point where it will not kill me, or strand me out on the road. I don't have the money or the intent to do a "concours" restoration. That's as of right now anyway.

I am posting here to get some opinions. What do you guy think? Buyers? Value? What should I do with it? Criticisms?

Here is a photo of the car on a trailer- http://i279.photobuc...et/4F93A42B.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Good looking car. But I am partial to 1933 Chrysler product vehicles. :)

One possible source for the radiator cap could be American Arrow Don Sommer Decades ago Sherwood Kalenberg was also making replica caps but I don't know if he or successors are around.

You'll probably want to check out a club more focused on Chryslers for access to information and parts specific to your car. The WPC club might be one to consider.

NICE Car!!

Get it safe and dependable. Clean it up. Enjoy it. I think they are beautiful as is.

Its easier to take it apart than to put it back together. Believe me I know. Work on what needs the most attention and leave it alone.

More people will look at your unmolested surviver than the pristine cars at the shows. Bet you anything. Count the lookers.

Bill H

Hi, I have a 1934 chrysler CB and the radiator cap is the same and the trumpet horns are also. If you want some information contact me and I can get you what information I have gotten over the last 12 years. I've restored mine from the ground up.

Mike

Guest JBSix

Thanks for the replies! Mopar4evr I will take you up

on that for sure.

So the car is running now. Oil was changed, plugs gapped, distributor cleaned up and she fired right off and runs strong. Brakes need work and are being sent off to a pro. There is an exhaust hole that is being addressed. Fuel pump works too. Steering and suspension are next for the once over.

I went to my first swap meet/show today (without the Six) to look for horns/radiator cap/shift knob but struck out. I did find a "tune up" card though so that was cool. I also saw a 1931 "chassis" for almost as much as my running and pretty complete car. That made my wife happy! Of course asking price isn't always getting price.

• 2 weeks later...
Good looking car. But I am partial to 1933 Chrysler product vehicles. :)

One possible source for the radiator cap could be American Arrow Don Sommer Decades ago Sherwood Kalenberg was also making replica caps but I don't know if he or successors are around.

You'll probably want to check out a club more focused on Chryslers for access to information and parts specific to your car. The WPC club might be one to consider.

If you go this route (I did) make sure to let them know the cap is going on a car, otherwise you might find that it won't fit. I was very pleased with the final result, btw.

Beautiful car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 33chrysler

I know the guy(Cecil Nuxol) that re manufactures the horns. I have bought probably a dozen sets from him over the years. He makes them in 12v and 6v. They also come with 2 different lengths of trumpets. The short is correct for the CO and the long is correct for the CT. His nephew has been selling them on ebay for 6 hundred something. He also sells them at the Portland swap meet. I can get a better price than the ebay price so if your interested just shoot me a pm.

• 2 months later...

Score!

I just got done looking through an original manual I scored for my car. 98 pages and a couple inserts of info, holy moly...

An update on the "restoration" progess. Well...not so good. I can't go into detail at this point, but I will say I had to retrieve my car from the shop that was working on it.

With help from here, I found a place that does repo's of the Gazelle hood ornament, for $750, ouch. I haven't looked into things any further because of the cost, so I still don't know if the hood ornament and radiator cap are one unit. I would be happy to just have a radiator cap at this point, but even that has proven to be a challenge.

Still no luck on a shift knob either. I may just make one out of oak and the appropriate threaded adaptor and keep looking.

I think I will be "adapting" modern air horn or bicycle bulb horn trumpets to replace my missing trumpets.

Definately some minor highs and significant lows in the process so far.

Guest 33chrysler

Either email the guy on ebay selling the horns or I will pick up a set of trumpets next time I talk to him. Should see him at the all original car show in the next few weeks. Those stainless reproduction hood ornaments are the radiator caps. There much less likely to get the horns broken and can only be identified by the most discerning expert unless its removed. My avatar is a picture of a stainless repo. I haven't seen many winged non gazelle ornaments but haven't been looking for one. You could get a black shift knob and have it painted woodgrain by hydro-graphic printing. I found a glass door handle that has a cool woodgrained effect.

Edited by 33chrysler
spelling (see edit history)

I couldn't find the horns guy on eBay. I hate to trouble you, but you link the item please or PM his email?. Searching on eBay can be a bit wonky at times. Great news on the repro hood ornaments, maybe I will bite the bullet and order one up. Good call on the knob...ty.

Guest 33chrysler

One of the listings is item #290750321514

Or you can call them directly CALL MONDAY - FRIDAY 8 AM TO 5-PM 1-509-489-7445 TOM OR CONTACT ME THUR THIS POSTING

Russ

Found it, thanks.... I can see why I didn't find that with my other search terms! 32-34 PLYMOUTH/DODGE/CHRYS NEW HORNS 6 VT KLAXON, is a bit cryptic.

• 7 months later...
Guest JBSix

After almost a year of ownership, work at two different resto shops, a couple dollars (cough) and one lawsuit, she is home!

We test drove it last week and got it up to 42 mph (if we can trust the speedo), it ran great, stops straight and steers…well it steers like a boat.

The start-up procedure is sure something I am not used to. Turn the key, pull throttle cable, pull choke, push on gas pedal, pull more on throttle cable for a bit, then wait until you can press on the gas pedal without once again engaging the starter!

We have had a great response to the car from almost everyone who has seen it. Even grizzled old car-guys are just amazed at how much is intact, original and the good condition it’s in.

I listened to the advice here and really only did work that will make the car safe and reasonable to drive, including but not limited to:

Rebuild kingpins, rebuild entire brake system, flush engine block, rebuild water pump, repair radiator neck, rebuild starter, rebuild carburetor, lube all fittings etc., rebuild gas tank and replace fuel line, electrical once over, replace exhaust from manifold back, rework heat riser valve, (another) full tune up and compression test, replace one window. I found a correct radiator cap on eBay. It’s not perfect, but the condition kinda mirrors the rest of the car if you get what I mean. I have been unable to find a correct shift knob yet, but I have one that "fits" and will just use it while I continue my search. I am "mocking up" horn trumpets for now, using old generic ones I found on eBay. I just can’t justify the cost of those beautiful ones that the other poster mentioned. Maybe at some point, when/if I do a "real" restoration I will get those. I have to put the back window in too. I decided to save a bit of cash and do that myself since its just scraping out old rubber and popping the stuff back in.

In the fall I hope to get it back in the shop for a more thorough electrical replacement program. Maybe with a gauge rebuild? The speedo appears to work pretty well and I will be verifying the gas gauge as I drive it. The water temp gauge does not appear to work, but testing shows the cars’ cooling system is working very well with the work that I mentioned above.

It has been a real roller coaster ride for us. From the decision to buy and keep it, to the troubles we had with the first shop. Driving this car on the road is a real trip. I consider myself a car guy for sure, but I like modern cars, Asian and German mostly.

The test/demo ride at the resto shop that did most the work was scary as hell at first. The mechanic, my wife, and I were in the car and all that’s going through my head is "OMG is this thing just going to snap in half or catch on fire?" But it didn’t, they did a great job. The car doesn’t even rattle!

I plan on taking her out for a drive around town this Sunday. If all goes as planned I will be offering rides too. She is already booked for a charity event near the end of April!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest Chrysler from France

Hi everybody, congratulations for this rare and so elegant CO. I'm the happy owner of a 4 seater convertible Chrysler CO 1933, sold new in Nice (french riviera) in the same clour scheme (dark blue, black fenders, white canvas top, red pinstripping). It has been hidden during WW II and used in Corsica island till 1964. Then bought and restored (in more american taste two-tone green) by a well-know rallye champion, already fond od oldtimers. It's a great car to rallying, wide enough to accomodate two couples. Lugage trunk is a bit too small either. Top speed isn't as high as I wish but should be adapted for the mountain roads in 1933. I have got at the moment a water pump problem and can't find any repair kit (axle + bearings) or replacement pump. A pity, the repair (2e one) will cost far more. I never seen another one in Europe. By the way this body type has been assembled in only 207 ex. Nice to hear from you and the progress of your Chrysler,

Two more things : I had no mascot nor rad cap and could find them on ebay-usa for reasonnable price. My wheels are of the optional model in wood. Maybe the laste wooden wheels built in 1933 !

Guest JBSix

The car has been a blast and a frustration so far this summer. Something you guys that have had old cars for longer than I are surely are familiar with. During a test run for its first event we had a problem. The "coincidental starter" mechanism reengaged during the outing. That means no accelerator!!! The car ran perfect (for an 80 year old car) for about 10 miles then GRRRRINNNNND when you pushed on the gas pedal (starter pedal when starting!). After letting the car sit for awhile the bits moved back where they should and I could drive it again, we limped her home. A visit to the shop cleared the issue up. They disassembled and tweaked the offending parts and all was well with the world. Next was her first car show. Only a few miles from home, ran like a champ to and from. This car gets a TON of attention. My wife and I took both our cars and parked them next to each other, 80 years of car tech. The 1933 and our 2013 Nissan GT-R. It's hard to say for sure, but the 1933 probably got more attention. The setting lent itself more to an old/classic/mod/resto/resto-mod/American car crowd for sure, but still. Whenever we drive the GT-R, no exaggeration, we have dozens of people, give thumbs up/pic/videos taken. Next up was her first parade. The town with the parade is @15 miles from home, plus the parade route, then the trip home. The clutch was NOT happy with this trip and we barely made it home. We knew the clutch was nearing the end and this showed just how close. After a cool down the clutch still works but it's on the list for sooner rather than later replacement now. We set a new top speed record of 52, it showed @47 on the speedo, but my wife in the chase vehicle called the 52mph! I found horn trumpets too!!!!!post-85509-143142114679_thumb.jpg

post-95313-143142115187_thumb.jpgGood job for the horns, the car is looking smarter, less naked. Your pic makes me recall I miss the little 6 emblem hiding the crank hole. Never mind. I try to insert a few pics of my CO 6 th share.

post-95313-143142115178_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205862[/ATTACH]Good job for the horns, the car is looking smarter, less naked. Your pic makes me recall I miss the little 6 emblem hiding the crank hole. Never mind. I try to insert a few pics of my CO 6 th share.

Nice car. What kind of caravan is that you are pulling, how is the hitch constructed and do you have any issues like braking when driving that combination?

Hi Ply33. My caravan is a french built Notin from 1938. It is a 4,30 m long model that weights about 1 ton fully equipped. The brakes are operated like modern ones by a collapsible hitch and cables. Indeed it works well behind a modern car but I think the Chrysler doesn't decelerate enough to retract the hitch. The tow-bar is made of a thick sheet of steel and hinges welded on it. The whole stuff is bolted on the frame of the car. The difficult was the distance between the frame and the bumper, about 30 cm. Some more pics to show...

post-95313-14314211661_thumb.jpg

post-95313-143142116593_thumb.jpg

post-95313-143142116603_thumb.jpg

Hi Ply33. My caravan is a french built Notin from 1938. It is a 4,30 m long model that weights about 1 ton fully equipped. The brakes are operated like modern ones by a collapsible hitch and cables. Indeed it works well behind a modern car but I think the Chrysler doesn't decelerate enough to retract the hitch. The tow-bar is made of a thick sheet of steel and hinges welded on it. The whole stuff is bolted on the frame of the car. The difficult was the distance between the frame and the bumper, about 30 cm. Some more pics to show...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]206002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206004[/ATTACH]

Interesting. If I understand your photos, the "tow bar" is in the first photo and bolts to the bottom of the frame covering the fuel tank.

Sounds like the cable actuated brakes are the same principle as "hydraulic surge brakes" on some modern trailers sold in the US:

Exactly, you've unterstood the first picture. It's not the common way to built a tow-bar, I agree.

The only kind of trailer brakes homologated in france today is this one : no hydraulic cylindres, just cables.

post-95313-143142118848_thumb.jpg