Differential Orange Paint

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

Finally got around to pulling and repainting my rear axle. After scraping the differential of all the crud, i found that it's orange. My authenticity manual says that some LCs of that year (47) did have "red-orange" paint. Anyone have a good color match for me? It's just the center housing, so I'm hoping to get some good rattlecan or brush-on.

Guest zazothex

I've heard that Ford used "red oxide" which is a pretty bulletproof primer. Can anyone verify this?

Guest notnow

About 10 years my differential went bad ,The car had set 10 years and from all indication the Bearing Races had rusted where they were not under the grease ..I drove the car about 400 mile before it started making a noise .. I was about 150 mile from home so I drove it Home .It wiped out the Ring gear and the Pinion .. I located a New Old Stock Center Section still in the Factory Wooden Box ..I still have the Box !!! Anyway it was painted with Red Oxide Paint ..The Gears and Bearings were packed in Heavy Grease .. Hope that helps !!!! CH

Edited by notnow (see edit history)

Guest notnow

You Are correct.. I'm also told that Lincoln Did Not furnish their Dealers with Part Numbers on Parts for the Center Sections..CH

Guest zazothex

Thanks Peecher. I was thinking that the major issue would be durability and so forgot needing heat tolerance as well. I know TSC usually carries Tractor engine primer in this color, so I'll probably end up using that. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. It'll be a while, though. Still waiting for a buddy to lend me his rear hub puller

Here is what was left of the red color on my 41. Everything was original on my car up to this, so I haven't a clue if it was a replacement rear center section or not, but it does have an 86H part number cast into it. Lots can happen in 70 years I guess. Here is also the after photo after untold hours of filling pitts and sanding after sandblasting everything.

Tom

post-55048-143138972783_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138972785_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138972788_thumb.jpg

Guest zazothex

Thanks Tom, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do. I am playing with the idea of keeping the diff orange, as I've gone through all the trouble of finding the primer.