Removable Hard Top Balance

Guest KentWood

Guest KentWood

Does anyone know the balance point of the Removable Hard Top ?

This would be most helpfull for designing a Top Hoist.

Guest Jim_McNally

As I remember (mine have been off the cars for a long time now) it's about where the top of the rear quarter windows hit, right before the angle downward. The top is fiberglass, and the latch mechanism in front is rather heavy...

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KentWood

I wound up selecting the two items below for my top hoist:

1) Chain hoist from Harbor Freight Tools, part number 00996, cost $44.99 + tax.

2) Adjustable Strap Harness from Eklers, part number P883167, cost $49.99 + shipping + tax

I have added a picture of these components.

I will post a picture of the top lifted soon.

click on thumbnail for larger picture

post-70130-143139000801_thumb.jpg

Edited by KentWood (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

Don't you think that a 1 ton hoist is a little overkill? The pull chain is also in the worst possible position, if it ever hit your top it would do damage. Even Harbor Freight #99758 rope hoist is rated at 440 pounds, that one is only $13 and is still more than sturdy enough to do the job. With the addition of a couple braided straps it would do fine, after all you are not trying to lift out an engine.

Guest KentWood

The Freight #99758 rope hoist is an excellent choice if you don't mind that the pulley's have no bearings and no spacers between them and therefore bind together and seem to freeze in place making the hoist unusable for its intended purpose. Also the yellow nylon rope will tend to burn your hands as you fight the load.

Yes, a one ton hoist is overkill for lifting the TC hard top, but it is useful for lifting my Riding Mower for service and I am sure I will find other uses for it.

I only raise the TC top enough to drive the car from under and away from it,: then I lower the top onto the wheeled top carrier that I built and wheel it to a storage area, so the chain does not bother anything. (The hand chain has one non welded link and can thus be shortened if desired).

I also like the smooth operation of the hoist and the ratchet lock feature that holds the load at whatever level I wish.

I could have purchased the half ton lever hoist from Harbor Freight (but how to reach the lever) for about the same price, but other than that, I did not find as good of a hoist for the money. (read all the Reviews)

Edited by KentWood (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Guest TCBucky89

I plan to fabricate some type of hoist for my hardtop, as my wife can't quite get "her" side of the top to clear the driveway! In my daytime job, we do a good bit of rigging, and we "over rig" on purpose. Better to have too much, than to not have enough!! I wonder about rigging points on the top. I don't think one strap wrapped around the width of the top would be sufficient. Maybe wrap a strap close to the front and hook a couple straps at the back, under the back glass?

I purchased two lifting straps from Tractor supply, and routed both straps through a steel ring. I attached one strap to the left rear and right front. I attached the other strap to the right rear and left front. The straps cross at the steel ring. With this arrangement, you can easily position the top for correct balance as it is lifted from the car.

To do the lifting, I used rope (rated at 500 lbs) two pullies, and a trailer winch, like is used on boat trailers. The winch is attached to the garage wall. With this arrangement, taking the top off is an easy one-person job.

post-89473-143142579919_thumb.jpg

Keith, Here is what I did. Got motor from Harbor Freight for $80 after discounts, $129 before any discount. Will lift 400 pounds (hardtop weights 85 lbs.). Has a remote control that is really not remote but connected by power cable. I would do it again as it worked out great. I needed to spend more time lining up the center of the car with the motor. Motor is not directly over head but works. Got a set of tie down straps and put 1 on each corner of the top. You have to adjust the length to keep the top level. In the back slipped those straps over pull down pegs. On the front slipped straps over the lock down with the handle open so that it doesn't slide off. Total expenses were $121. Bob P.S. what part of the country do you live in?

post-89473-143142579865_thumb.jpg

post-89473-143142579893_thumb.jpg

G&G I like that! Now I have 3 reasons to add a 3 car garage! Keep all 6 cars out of the weather, add a full hoist, (I'm 70 and still change my oil) have a hardtop hoist or 2 in the ceiling. Now how do I pay for it?

I had a new customer last week and knew before I met him that we would get along. He had a 5 car garage. After I was done he showed the his Cobra replica with a 429 Ford bored and stroked to 469. He said he was racing and a Lotus 7 blew by him like he was standing still. So....he bought a Lotus 7 kit. Supercharged 3.8 GM engine. He said that was so easy. All he had to do was form some aluminum for behind the seats and drop the drive train in. I never did see the pick of the litter at Hunter Farms. Hunter Engineering as in hoists, alignment racks, etc. He had 6, 4 car garages at the house! The lesser cars were kept at the factory.

Guest TCBucky89

I'll be looking into building a hoist such as this. Thanks for the pics! I live in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TCBucky89

I rigged up an old chain come-along to the carport rafter......backed the li'l red beast under it......whipped out the four new ratchet straps I got at Tractor Supply for $10.00......wrapped two around the top pins in the back......wrapped two around the hold downs at the front corners......and proceeded to remove the top by myself!!!!

While I was at TSC, I noticed they have an electric hoist on sale for $49.99. 200 feet of braided cable, with hook. 20 feet of electric cord, and a handheld controller. I can mount that bad boy on the carport post, and put a pully up where the come-along is now. That makes the whole thing come in at less than $75.00!!!!!!