1934 Dodge car hood side louvres

Guest johnhorace

Guest johnhorace

Does anyone have solid information about these louvres? I have always been of the opinion that the cars with the 12 horizontal louvres (three wide, with three narrow louvres under each one) were the early models, and the 4 (total) wide louvres with no narrow ones in between, were the later production model. I have attempted to attach a photo of what I believe is the early design. There are other postings of photos of the 4 louvre 1934 hood side under "Dodge Brothers....." if you want to see that version.

post-31106-143138967688_thumb.jpg

Guest johnhorace

Here's a photo of a 4 louvre version I picked out of the "Dodge and Dodge Brothers" postings. I'm guessing the moderator will remove it if I'm not allowed to do this.

67265d1287429834t-1934-dodge-img00180-20101016-1419.jpg

Hi John,

The second photo ( blue dodge ) is Mark's car. I've also attached 2 photos. One of mine which has the 4 louvers and one of Ken Sobels car which also has the 4 louvers and a white 34 which also has the 4 louvers.

Looking in my book I dont think these were options so as you suggested maybe early and late models. I would interested in comparing the serial numbers of these cars and compare to the book I have which shows options available. Only to see if the early serial numbers had more louvers than the later ones. The options available for these Dodges change after a certain serial number. I think I have a photo of Ken's serial number plate at home so when I get home I'll check that too.

Just out of curiosity what sparked your interest in this area of the car ?

I'll see what I can dig up a bit later but perhaps some other members car throw some light on this.

Ian

post-44589-143138967724_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138967725_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138967729_thumb.jpg

Guest johnhorace

In response to Ian_Greenlaw's question, idle curiosity sparked my curent interest in this topic, although I had wondered about this in the past. I figured this forum would be a good place to check it out. I have seen comments on the WWW that the DRXX was a late year (June 2, 1934) economy addition to the line. I also saw a Hemmings article that shows a photo that it claims to be a DRXX, yet it has 4 louvres. Seems to me a low cost model would have fewer louvres as a cost saving measure. "Old Cars" also cites 4 louvres on the DRXX.

I don't feel I have a conclusive answer yet to my question.

The info I have says the DR and DS cars had the multiple louver hood until June of '34 when the DRXX was introduced with the four louver hood. At that time, The DR and DS hoods were also changed to the four louver hood.

Source: The Dodge Story, and Standard Catalog of American Cars.

The info I have says the DR and DS cars had the multiple louver hood until June of '34 when the DRXX was introduced with the four louver hood. At that time, The DR and DS hoods were also changed to the four louver hood.

Source: The Dodge Story, and Standard Catalog of American Cars.

Sorry about that. I guess I did not read as much as I should have in that section of the Dodge Story.

Guest 1930

Hello John, do you have the parts manual for your car, if so which version? I think you will find your conclusive answer there.

If you dont have one I can scan and post most of what you need.

Guest johnhorace

In response to a post above, I have a 1933 Dodge but not a 1934 Dodge. I was just trying to get more information on an old assumption I had about these louvres/louvers. I don't know where I got the original information about early and late models, perhaps from the references cited by 34dodger above.

Thanks to 34dodger. I reread both of his references (missed this info when I looked there last week) and found what I had missed in my earlier reading.

Thanks to all who responded.

I believe my question is now answered.

Edited by johnhorace
Clarification (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest stephen48
What's the difference between a DR and DT ?[/quote The DT is a Canadian Dodge built on the 1934 Plymouth PE chassis and running gear. The engine prefix is PE.

• 10 months later...

My understanding is that the DRXX was an economy model with the 4 louvre hood. I am going to look at what I believe is a DRXX business coupe next week that I am hoping to pick up for a full restoration. I know it has a 4 louvre hood and does NOT have vent windows, so I assume it is a DRXX. I will report back with photos of the car and a confirmation from the serial number and data plates. Car still in the family of the original owner and does not look like from the photos I have seen to have been messed with at all. Thanks to Stephen48 above for the information on the DT.