4 Cylinder T Head Engine

oldford

I came across this engine today and could not find any casting marks or stamped numbers. It has a Robert Bosch mag, but I don't know if it is original to the engine. It's in spectacular shape. Any ideas?

Frank

post-30765-143138960483_thumb.jpg

post-30765-143138960496_thumb.jpg

post-30765-143138960507_thumb.jpg

post-30765-14313896052_thumb.jpg

The suggestion from three of my friends, all of whom are experts on early brass cars and engines, is that this is probably a motor for a boat. Make unknown.

I feel positive that these guys, with their collective knowledge, would know a T head automotive engine pretty quickly, so would be willing to bet it's not automotive.

Still a very nice engine, of course....

i went there and after looking at the frame and other stuff i think it came from heavy machinery like dipper shovel or winch, pump etc. i think if it had been cleaned up some there might have been cast name or logos found. i can't believe someone wouldn't build something like that without advertising their product. sold for 1600.00.

I was also at the Hudson Valley Old Time Power Asso. Auction and watched the engine sell. Looking at the frame that it was sitting in I am sure it is a truck motor. I thought it followed a Wisconsin design also. I think it was well worth what the buyer paid. Of course, I wasn't going to see the junkman run off with it either but thought it would bring the decent price that it did. The flywheel was made to fit a cone clutch. Would make one cool brass era racing roadster. It has to be around WWI or earlier vintage. I thought 1910 ish, but many trucks were still hand crank long after the automobile had a starter. The bearing blocks on the front of the frame look like the supports used for shocks seen in many early truck photos. Dandy Dave!

Pierce truck ?

After doing a web search, I believe you are right. It clearly Shows that the mounts on the frame actually held the radiator on WWI Pierce Trucks rather than the heavy shocks as seen in some photos. The front of the engine looks a lot like a Pierce design from around 1918. Even the grease fitting were there. The bearings I speak of are mostly cut off in the photos. Dandy Dave!

This engine looks like the four cylinder T head engine that was used in the Peerless trucks from 1911 through 1917. In 1912 Peerless sold 12,000 to England for the First World War. After the war England brought the trucks back, refurbished them and sold them for Lories and maintained them into the 1930's. RHL