The Disappearance of our Hobby?

The fact that the oil is harder to get to doesn't equate with the supply "dwindling". I'm sure old Mr Drake thought the oil supply was running out when he had to dig a deeper well in Titusville too. Again, where is the evidence that the worldwide supply of oil is dwindling? Obviously there is less oil in the ground than 100 years ago but there is no verifiable evidence that we will run out any time soon.

The fact that the oil is harder to get to doesn't equate with the supply "dwindling". I'm sure old Mr Drake thought the oil supply was running out when he had to dig a deeper well in Titusville too. Again, where is the evidence that the worldwide supply of oil is dwindling? Obviously there is less oil in the ground than 100 years ago but there is no verifiable evidence that we will run out any time soon.

A web search on "conventional oil production" will turn up reams of stuff. Conventional oil production has been flat or down for several years now. Difference has been made up for that by going to "unconventional" sources like deep water, Canadian tar sands, etc.

And the problem isn't running out so much as it simply becomes more and more expensive. At some point other sources of energy will be cheaper. Or, if you are a pessimist, there will be a world wide economic collapse.

Price of electricity from coal .02/KWH. Price of electricity from solar .12/KWH. It will be a while before the playing field is leveled. Natural gas has promise though. Viva la fracking!

Unless we have electrified highways so we can talk about vehicle collecting, this is getting farther off topic. But for building and operating a new plant you are correct that solar electricity is quite a bit more expensive than coal at present.

And yes, natural gas "has promise". At present natural gas is actually cheaper than coal for new electric power generation plants according to some of the more authoritative sites I've seen. And it is a lot cleaner too.