Engine run issue

Guest LIT MUSE

Guest LIT MUSE

Hello everyone,

My engine run at low RPM and rough in neutral. Also have tendency to cut off. Engine doesn't start the first time as always. The car passed a full tune up not long time ago and ran very good for few month. (electrical?, vacuum?)

I have the 1990, 3.0, automatic.

Advice will be appreciated. Tnx!

Guest My TC Toy

Rough idle, hard starting and shutting off can sometimes be associated with a dirty throttle body. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body and plate?

Guest LIT MUSE

The hard starting is still there but tendency to cut off went away. Again and again I am pro messing myself not to drive till the last drop. Tend to blame it on dirty fuel blockage. Not good for the fuel pump too. No, I have no Idea how to clean the throttle body and plate nor do I know what is it and what does it does.

Thank you TC Toy!

Guest My TC Toy

The throttle body is the aluminum piece that the flexable air line from the filter connects into. It is on the top right side of the engine. Go to you local parts depot and they can sell you an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner. They will explain how to use it and the instructions are on the can as well. Simply use a screwdriver to remove the air hose, start the car, hold the idle to about 1500 RPM, a friend can help, and spray the areosol into the opening. Let the car stall out on the last of the contents and let stand for about 10 minutes. Replace the air hose and restart the car, sometimes it may be a little difficult to start. Then go for a run to clean out the body. Done.

Good luck.

The throttle body is the aluminum piece that the flexable air line from the filter connects into. It is on the top right side of the engine. Go to you local parts depot and they can sell you an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner. They will explain how to use it and the instructions are on the can as well. Simply use a screwdriver to remove the air hose, *

After the cleaning with engine off, start the car, hold the idle to about 1500 RPM, a friend can help, and spray the areosol into the opening. Let the car stall out on the last of the contents and let stand for about 10 minutes. That running of the engine will now be only for washing out the remainder of what you cleaned with the engine off.

Replace the air hose and restart the car, sometimes it may be a little difficult to start. Then go for a run to clean out the body. Done.

Good luck.

* Insert this step. After removing the inlet hose as described, spray into the throttle body with the engine OFF. Use an old toothbrush or your 'social finger' and rub the areas of the throttle body where the throttle plate closes down. Do this both top and bottom.

Or do it the right way and remove the throttle body completely, put it on your bench, remove the AIS motor, clean inside the bore where the pintle/plunger rides, reinstall AIS motor. Clean entire throttle body butterfly, etc.. then reinstall with new Mopar gasket. Depending on how dirty it was (and/or how dirty your AIS motor was), it should help quite a bit.

Do NOT touch/adjust the minimum airflow set screw. I can't tell you how many I have had to recalibrate with the DRB III because "Joe" at "Joe's repair shop" thought it would be a good idea (read: quick fix) to simply adjust the minimum airflow set screw. (bad idea....i.e. Rick has to fix his mistake)

Also, check all your vacuum lines and make sure they are all going to the correct places and that you don't see (or hear) any leaks. Use a factory service manual (and/or) the VECI label on the wiper/cowl area.

Or do it the right way and remove the throttle body completely, put it on your bench, remove the AIS motor, clean inside the bore where the pintle/plunger rides, reinstall AIS motor. Clean entire throttle body butterfly, etc.. then reinstall with new Mopar gasket. Depending on how dirty it was (and/or how dirty your AIS motor was), it should help quite a bit.

Do NOT touch/adjust the minimum airflow set screw. I can't tell you how many I have had to recalibrate with the DRB III because "Joe" at "Joe's repair shop" thought it would be a good idea (read: quick fix) to simply adjust the minimum airflow set screw. (bad idea....i.e. Rick has to fix his mistake)

Also, check all your vacuum lines and make sure they are all going to the correct places and that you don't see (or hear) any leaks. Use a factory service manual (and/or) the VECI label on the wiper/cowl area.

OK 16 valve GURU or should I say Rick Diego, that is the total and thorough way to do it. informative to read your posts. It looks like things are going well for you there in FL.

However, when I worked tune-up at the dealer, unless someone asked for a throttle body cleaning, the way I described the 'finger' action will do a great job. I run 2 cars with 3.0L engines and 2 '4 banger' turbo cars and to this day have NEVER gone to all the work of disassembling the throttle body in order to clean it. And mine are all in the 250K mile neighborhood. Well, now I know that you know this too.

Edited by Hemi Dude (see edit history)

LOL, I have to agree with you Hemi. I have seen plenty of folks clean the throttle body the way you described above and have been just fine. In fact, when I was a driveability tech for Chrysler back in the mid 90s I have to confess the first 20 or so throttle body services I did, I did "the quick way" and they worked out just fine. The customer never had an issue.

But then I got older (and slower) and started completely removing them to clean them and have been doing it that way ever since. (Especially if I saw the "steps" going real high at idle with the DRB connected when the car first rolled into my bay). Then I knew it was best to remove the AIS motor and do a good cleaning in there too.

But yes, I agree with Hemi, either way will certainly get the job done!

We also used to spray "Mopar Chamber Conditioner" in the throttle body with the car running (at idle) in neutral. Then I'd shut the car off, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then start it back up. The smoke screen out the exhaust was enough to clear out every mosquito in the tri-county area!

Good times...but glad I ain't doing that for a living any more. :)

Guest My TC Toy

Dam, Hemi, now I know how I got that oily taste on my new toothbrush.

Nice to hear from you again.

Bob