old wheel

jajolee

• 1 month later...

Possibly an aftermarket disc wheel maybe? There were quite a few different makes available. If it was in better order it have might been possible to clean it up and find a maker's mark on it somewhere. One possible point also is that the fact that it is a 21 suggests that it is for something in the mid to later 1920s.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I believe the one hole in the disc is a valve stem hole so this is a pneumatic tire wheel. Also the 4 wing nuts hold canisters for washers that are used to balance the wheel/tire assembly, these are seen on wire wheels too. The wheel center looks like Budd or Michelin but the extension on the front to cover the lug nuts is not American style. I suggest this is a European application.

I wasn't clear on what I said that's for sure. Yes there would be a stem hole in the rim next to the balance canister, but the hole in the disc is probably for access to the stem for checking pressure and filling purposes without having to get on the ground and reach around the back side of the wheel. The stem may have been bent to go part way thru the hole in question.