1954 Buick 3 Speed Manual Seal

avgwarhawk

Gents,

I'm looking to replace a leaking manual 3 speed front shaft seal (264/3 speed manual) . Anyone have a good source for a seal on a 40 3 speed manual? I will look to replace the clutch as well because the gear oil that has leaked is causing chatter. Thanks!

Guest Straight eight

As one Buick lover to another who has been there with Clutch chatter, there are several items that can cause chatter. Of course lubricant on the clutch disc, but also

Motor mounts worn, crankshaft for and aft movement at the main bearings, Clutch shaft bearing worn allowing the clutch mechanism a chance to chatter, clutch disc worn, and warped. A warped flywheel and or pressure plate warped, sloppy fitting ring gear and pinon. The spline on the clutch shaft that holds the clutch disc should be very smoooth permitting easy movement when the clutch is operated. There is a funnel like part (name unknown) that fits over the clutch shaft that directs lubricant from the clutch shaft to the next lower shaft. If this funnel is not tight against the case, lubricant can get onto the disc.

Another words, anything in the drive line that will permit the drive shaft to move fore and aft, or allow grease to get to the disc.

The reason for this entry, just to help you be aware of what could be wrong, and keep clutch chatter away from your door. I've been there and have found all these items at one time or another to be the cause of clutch chatter.

Try Bobsautomobilia.com for parts.

Edited by Straight eight (see edit history)

Thanks for responding. Your list of possibilities certainly is much more numerous than the manual! I do not suspect the crank/flywheel and related engine parts to be the cause. The engine was rebuilt 2006. It has 6500 miles on it since then The mounts from bow,stern, starboard and port are all in good shape. I was examining them this past weekend determining if this might be the cause. The vehicle has 36000 miles on the ticker. I do not believe it has turned the 100k mark leaving the transmission with many many miles. She shifts well and as designed. However, without pulling the driveline reward exposing the inner clutch workings I can not determine with certainty the cause. For now all fingers point to gear lube on the clutch mating surfaces. The chatter is more prevalent in first gear. Second fairly non-existent and third no chatter at all. Reverse I experience chatter. I believer 1st and reverse share the same gear? Again, thanks for pointing out possible causes of the clutch chatter. I will drop the clutch assembly cover this weekend and see what evil lurks behind!

As one Buick lover to another who has been there with Clutch chatter, there are several items that can cause chatter. Of course lubricant on the clutch disc, but also

Motor mounts worn, crankshaft for and aft movement at the main bearings, Clutch shaft bearing worn allowing the clutch mechanism a chance to chatter, clutch disc worn, and warped. A warped flywheel and or pressure plate warped, sloppy fitting ring gear and pinon. The spline on the clutch shaft that holds the clutch disc should be very smoooth permitting easy movement when the clutch is operated. There is a funnel like part (name unknown) that fits over the clutch shaft that directs lubricant from the clutch shaft to the next lower shaft. If this funnel is not tight against the case, lubricant can get onto the disc.

Another words, anything in the drive line that will permit the drive shaft to move fore and aft, or allow grease to get to the disc.

The reason for this entry, just to help you be aware of what could be wrong, and keep clutch chatter away from your door. I've been there and have found all these items at one time or another to be the cause of clutch chatter.

Try Bobsautomobilia.com for parts.

Damn, Guess I'm glad I have a dynaflow after all..