1926 Buick Sedan Roof

Guest oldcarfanatic41

Guest oldcarfanatic41

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and need help with information on finding someone to rebuild a roof for a 1926 Buick Sedan. I recently purchased this car and it was restored approx 25 years ago. Sadly, that person did not care enough once it was restored to keep it inside. When I bought it the roof had deterorated and now it must be restored. As for the rest of the car, super condition, I started it and drove it and have been cleaning the carburator, checking all the wiring, and well everyone knows what you have to do when you bring home such a sweet find! If you have any suggestions or referrals to a shop that can rebuild the wooden roof I would greatly appreciate your input. I would like to be able to drive this car with a new roof in our local parade in April 2013.

First,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will consider joining the BCA. There are a number of Buick people in your state, and I am sure someone can help you locally, and for sure some in Texas. I think you are looking to replace the wood in the roof, as well as the covering, and it looks like you have a full year to solve the problem.

One word of caution. If the roof has deteriorated so badly that all has to be replaced, what about the interior? And also there may be water into the major wood framing that could be more problems, I would think. But you said it was in "super condition". Please feel free to provide more details on the car and what part of Oklahoma, and hopefully some photos. This will help others to guide you.

I could offer some solutions here on the east coast, but I do not believe you want to go this far for repairs.

John

Depending on the extent of the damage, it would seem that you will need someone with considerable woodworking experience and the required complement of tools to take on this task. This is not a project for the faint-of-heart and you will need to do some investigation to determine exactly how far the damage to the wood has progressed. This kind of work is generally rather expensive due to the amount of labor that is involved in making proper repairs. Keep in mind that you will probably at a minimum require interior work such as a new headliner due to the fact that the existing one will have to come down in order to repair/replace the wooden ribs in the top. In addition you will need to replace the exterior cobra grain soft top and trim as well. You will probably be dealing with two specialized trades; wood working and automotive upholstery.

Thanks,

Guest oldcarfanatic41

Thanks for the replies! After doing a little research, it is exactly as you state, you certainly know your stuff! I began to dissassemble the roof, (the really bad part was the driver side rear corner in which the roof was completely gone about 12"x12", almost as if a squirrel had chewed through the roof.) I removed the covering, and the frame of the top is obviously in really bad shape. I have made a few calls and came up empty with the information that I was looking for. You called it right, moisture has caused the wood to deteriorate and it too will have to be replaced. The interior (seats) are still in good condition, but it is the overall condition of the frame that has me worried. I am taking pictures, cataloging the pieces as I removed them and numbering them. I am at a loss as to where to find more information on replacing these pieces of the frame. I will continue to look for someone with superlative wood working experience who can recreate these pieces. Will update this as it progress's, obviously the set goal to have it ready in a year has now gone out the window, perhaps 2015!! I welcome all and any who have gone through this process to send out a lifeline to get me through this! Thanks Everyone!:)

Guest 1922 Buick

oldcarfantic41,

Join the Yahoo 1927 Buick Group, it's free. Great bunch of people who share resources and information.

1922 Buick

Jeff Kearney.

Guest 27buickrdst

Hi:

saw your post about getting the top re-wooded on your Buick. There is an excellent craftsman in Cushing Ok that can help you out. Several of the club members in the OKC HCCA club here have used him and have been very pleased with his work. His name is Dennis Francis and he is at 918-225-2250.

Randy Dekker

Oklahoma City

27 Buick Roadster

• 1 year later...
Guest David Cewe

Hi John,

I have a 1926 Buick Master that needs the roof repaired. It's not all that bad, the doors sag about an eight of an inch. Most of the wood is good, except the four corners and the back piece over the rear window. Reading your post to another person, it sounds as though you know a someone in Connecticut that can make these repairs. Do you have their contact information? If you have any questions, I can be reached at 203-376-2307. My name is Dave. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have 1926 buick 2 door I need to replace roof material. My question is what do I use as replacement material and hardware thanks.