Improving torque and milage

I have a 2009 Ford F250 2wd gasoline 5.4 truck as a tow vehicle and wonder if anyone has found any after market goodies that would improve torque and mileage.

I have looked at the high flow air boxes but the improvement in power seems to come on at higher rpms rather than improve low end torque. I have not seen any charts on dual exhaust. I am not interested in a load exhaust but a little better sounding than the stock single exhaust.

Thanks.

What's the topogrophy in Ohio, and the places you'll tow?

If in major hill or mountain country, I think you'll always find a 5.4 slightly underpowered for towing a car and trailer. It also depends on the car and trailer you're towing of course. An open trailer with a Model T, probably not a problem. A 1932 Packard in an enclosed trailer, you need to start looking for a vehicle with a bigger engine.

I had a Ford van in the 1980's, with the 350 or so engine, living in Louisiana, and towing a closed trailer with a Pierce in it. Our routes to tours were in the nice, flat, southern country, sometimes in the gently rolling hills of northern Louisiana or Mississippi. Not a big problem.

Moved to Virginia, and the Ford was worthless. Immediately started looking for, and found, a Suburban with the 454. That's the way to tow.

As the racing guys say, there's no replacement for displacement.

Hope you can find an answer that works for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the mid-1980s I upgraded from a 350 Suburban to a Suburban 3/4 ton (now called 2500 Series) with the 454 engine and 400 turbo-hydromatic. Then a similar '86 Suburban with the same engine/tranny comb0; then the 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 L Big-Block. We still use this one on easier hauls, but on big pulls, we use the 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 L Turbo-Diesel and 4-wheel drive.

As David agrees, there is no replacement for displacement

Thanks Dave and Marty.

I us the F250 to tow an enclosed trailer and car with a total weight of 7,000 lbs. short distances (about 200 miles in the Ohio area) and not very often ( 3 to 4 times a year).

I was wondering about ways to improve the performance of the 5.4L V8 in the truck that I have.

I've got a 2007 6.0 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban. It tows relatively good, but sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. Towing a Buick in an enclosed trailer I can get 7.9-8.0 and as high as 8.4 mpg, while the '99 GMC with the 454 would get around 7.4 regularly. It's getting to the point I dread going anywhere with the trailer. After the upcoming Sentimental Tour, we probably won't use the truck or the trailer until the 2014 Sentimental Tour. I had wondered if a Ford 5.4 would tow the trailer....it sounds from above that it won't.

Dynaflash,

The F250 5.4 2WD does a good job of towing with around 10 to 11 MPG towing.

Highway mileage with no tow is high 16's and around town is low 14's.

The transmission has a tow mode that actually provides a different shift pattern which holds gears a little long on up shifts and quicker downshifts to assist braking

I an please with it towing performance towing a combined 7000 lbs enclosed trailer and car.

Pulling south out of Cincinnati up the hill into KY at 60 mph has the engine working hard but does the job.

I was wondering if aftermarket items like dual exhaust and high flow air box really make a difference.

I am a piston head from the late 60's and love cubic inches and torque but still have an 1951 MG TD!!!!! The STuTZ OHV 6 on the other hand has the torque to rip out a tree at idle with 289 CI 3 1/2" bore and 5" stroke.