My newest toy

JACK M

I found some time over the weekend to sort a few things out.

The car was represented to be TOTALY restored. (body off rotissorie)

Another statement was "no screw left unturned".

Although it is a very nice car I think that the seller embellished his description.

It was restored by the original owner several years ago and apperantly went into storgae when he died. The broker bought it from the estate.

The problems are nothing difficult, several loose parts, ie carb base screws, distributer hold down, it needed some adjustment on the shift linkage. Canceling device needed some attention as did the windshield wipers. Just small stuff but like I said it was a broker and he blamed off the description on his partner. (typical car salesman)

I have not driven it since spending the weekend on it but I am sure that it will be better, however it drove pretty good before.

It is hilly here where I live and we have hills that we test the torque on. This flathead pulls the steepest and windyest hills in high gear just great, It has LOTS of low end torque. More than the Hemi by far.

My kids like the car and I expect that they will take it away from me just like they have the rest of my collection. Meaning that I have to keep updating my will, At least it lets me justify keeping all this stuff.

Thank you all for your compliments. I have wanted one of these for a long time.

post-52542-143138937705_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the compliments.

The car came from the Woodinville WA area. I think the original owner died around 8 or 10 years ago. Maybe some of you will remember it. I have the guys name and his phone number, however I doubt I will ever call.

The shipper remembers that it was a son that was in charge of the estate and had no interest in his dads car. The story goes that dad bought it new and didnt drive it much then in later years decided to restore it. Did a pretty good job too.

I guess I am the second owner.

I guess the only change that I may be inclined to make would be an overdrive conversion. Anybody have one of those.

I read that the factory sold a dealer installed OD kit for these. I would guess that one would have to replace the tranny.

This one makes some noise that I would guess to be an input bearing noise. It goes away when I push in the clutch.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Guest 89 Maui

Jack -

I checked out the ebay photos on your car. My '52 Plymouth Suburban was the same color with the same color interior with the exception that I had a radio and speaker in the center of the dash.

And I remember the seats, with no seat belts I didn't want to take a 90 corner too fast or I would slide across the seat.

Woody

The P22 wagon and fastback cars with the stubby transmissions were kinda on the weak side. The E-brake drums can make a rattling noise-drum wears on the four U-Joint studs, ovaling the holes. Also being a short version of the regular 3 speed or OD trans-std long trans has two bearings to support the output shaft. The shorty in the wagons and fastbacks only has a rear bearing at rear of case and the front input shaft bearing. This causes more wear on the front and rear ball bearings and also causes more stress and wear on the needle bearings in the input shaft to output shaft area.

Regular and OD longer three speeds don't have this issue.

You will have to get a shorter driveshaft made up for the OD transmission too.

Never did see that wagon here in Woodinville. Neil Riddle must have known about it though. A lot of the 1949-52 wagons coming out of the wood work now days.

Bob

Thanks Bob. That makes sence about the bearings. It looks like I could have it out in an hour.

Its the weeks that it would take me to repair the thing that scares me. Maybe next winter. There was an extra drive line with it however I have not compaired the lengths as of yet.

If you are interested in the previous owners info send me a PM. There are a bunch of reciepts with his name and phone number that came with the car. No address, however these reciepts are mostly from your area. And I am sure that the shipper told me that he had originally picked it up in Woodinville as he lives there part time as well.

Woody, you are correct about the slick seats, this one has had seat belts installed, they dont make me feel as safe as the shoulder belts and air bags of today though.

I have a bit of the material that was left over. I think I am going to search out some arm rests.

One of the things I like about this car is its simplicity. No radio, no clock, it does have a lighter though (doesnt work). To bad I dont smoke. I got the optional turn signals working.

On a further note. I am in the market for a correct jack, iron, and stand etc. Good spare but no jack. It stores under the back seat accessable when the back is up and the base is down. I would expect that the jack would be the same for all models.

FUN STUFF !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Would anybody happen to have the wiring schematic for an OD tranny (and related parts). I think I am going to buy one that I found. The seller says that he pulled the harness when he pulled the trans and driveline but its old wiring and he is unsure if its complete.

• 2 years later...
Very Nice '51 Plymouth Wagon.....

I replied to your PM.

Now that I have had this car for a couple of years its time to move on.

I found the convertible that I have been looking for and need to free up some storage.

This wagon now has a rebuilt OD tranny in it and will drive you home where ever you live unless you have to cross water.

A parts car is included if you want it. (it wont drive however)

• 2 weeks later...