'32 Ford Model B Deuce Coupe

Guest wwwinn

Guest wwwinn

Around 1962, while in high school, I bought a 1932 Ford Model B Ford 3-window deuce coupe. It was in parts but all there. I got it partially assembled but never on the road so stored it in a safe dry barn in the Western USA where it has rested since. <O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

It is a classic with rumble seat, suicide doors and all original parts; also with the original first V8 Ford ever made. The exterior and power train is all in place; the interior parts are there but need assembly. The body has some rust but not a lot.<O:p</O:p

My dilemma: I am thinking about selling this car but have not had much luck pricing it . . . hard to find any 'compatibles'. I'm thinking of listing it on eBay and want it to sell but, at the same time, not get ripped off due to my ignorance re value.<O:p</O:p

Any ideas/suggestions re setting an asking price, how/where to sell, need for appraisal, etc.?<O:p</O:p

Thanks in advance for any assistance from the group <G>!<O:p</O:p

WW - wwwinn@gmail.com

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest Leylands

Hi wwwinn,

Trimacar is probably in the right ballpark regarding pricing if the car is complete and in nice condition.

As with any car, the overall condition is very important. It can be tough to put a proper price on a 1932 because of the many aftermarket reproduction and fiberglass cars being built today. Ebay makes it even tougher with false auctioning (friends of seller bidding to push up the value) and with the aftermarket high dollar custom cars being built. Wealthy consumers pay a local hot rod shop to build them a fully custom car with tons of chrome and show quality paint, they spend $100,000 to have it built, then think that's what its worth when they try to re-sell it.

I sent you an email as i would love to see some pictures.

Justin.

Guest wwwinn

Many thanks to Trimacar, Laylands and others who responded to my query about pricing my '32 Deluxe Deuce Coupe. I feel more educated now and the consensus is that so much depends on condition it is hard to set a price. The car is complete (all parts present), the drive train in place and the general condition (as you can see in the pics) is good . . . some rust but not a lot.

Many asked for photos so I'll attach a couple here (had to dig them up!). I hope the pics might narrow down the price estimates so still looking for a good asking price. Also, where/how to sell: eBay, Craig's List, auto mag or ???

Thanks to all of you for helping me try and do something I've never done before <g>.

WWWinn

post-84727-143138931181_thumb.jpg

post-84727-143138931187_thumb.jpg

Where you sell may depend on your opinion of value.

If you know what price you'd take for it, put it on this forum, and that gives the true antique guys (one's who'd keep it original when restored) a chance. DON'T ask for offers, this is not an auction site, but state a price and go from there.

If you don't know what you want for it, put it on Ebay with a reasonable reserve, and the public will tell you what it's worth. In all probability, on Ebay, a hot rodder will end up with it, and he's looking only for the body to build a car from there. Unfortunately they may be the ones who'll pay more for it, as it's a desirable body style, second only to a roadster body...

Your choice. If the doors are there and in good condition, and the firewall is solid (a very important thing by the way), I still stand by my 20K or so number, but I'm no expert.

Several things to consider when pricing--

1) Do you have a clear title and does it say its a 32?

2) Body suggests its not a 32 with the sucide doors

3) Lots of cars for sale in the 20K-30K already completed

4) After seeing pictures doesn't appear to be anywhere near that 20K figure

Good luck with your sale!:)

Several things to consider when pricing--

1) Do you have a clear title and does it say its a 32?

2) Body suggests its not a 32 with the sucide doors

3) Lots of cars for sale in the 20K-30K already completed

Front opening doors are indeed CORRECT for 1932. Why do you think otherwise?

$20-30 for a completed car is doesn't come close to its finished value

Agree. Actually, I will disagree a bit with David in that the 3 window, I think, is ultimately more desirable than the roadster. Price the steel repro bodies only, and factor in the fact that this is a "real" '32 with many or all of it's other components. Restorers and rodders alike will pay a premium for those two factors. I think David's figure is accurate to somewhat light. The repros may have driven demand/prices down slightly but this is a very unusual offering

Pretty sure front opening doors correct on 3 window only in'32. Unlike the more common 5 windows I believe these were supplied by an outside bodybuilder, but cannot remember who.

Of course, that kid in the pictures could have a heck of a car someday if you were to keep it... :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

All I can add is I saw a very rusty incomplete '32 Coupe with a very poorly done 1960s attempt at rodding bring $19 K at a local farm sale. I'm talking serious rust , no where near running condition and missing many '32 specific parts and totally wrong engine. I think $20K is likely low for your car but I do agree that it is also likely worth the most to a rodder . 'Tis a shame.

I agree with all, my original post said "20K or more" and I still think 20K is bottom end, and it could go up from there. Doors being there, ID numbers, title as mentioned, all important factors.

Sure wish someone would buy it and restore to original, but people in Hades want ice water too, and neither will probably happen.....

In the Ford lineup for 1932 the "Deluxe Coupe" was in fact the 3 window coupe. Just plain "Coupe" was the 5 window. This is as per the original Ford advertizing brochure, K Form F 113. In other years a "Deluxe" was a dolled up standard, with more brightwork and upholstry upgrades and embelishments. I have a feeling that at least one of the well known value guide's editors (based on the un-named one I am reading) is using extrapolization to assign values to the various models and conditions, and does not realize that the deuce 3 window was a horse of a different color than the "coupe" 5 window, because their price distinction between the two is nominal. The 3 window is about as good as it gets.

An aside; '33 and '34 Fords used suicide doors too.

Dave

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Guest wwwinn

I want to thank all of you who have responded to my request for assistance in pricing my '32 Ford3-window deluxe deuce coupe in anticipation of sale. The members here are most helpful and knowledgeable . . . the comments and discussion have taken me to the next level re what drives value in the antique car market.

I have had many expressions of interest and do have a preference in selling to someone for restoration rather than 'rodding' . . . but, in the end, money does come into play <g>. Many have asked for more information so let me comment:

1) Is the car 'complete'?: Yes, as far as I can tell. The body and interior is all there and the power train including the V8 is assembled.

2) Is it all steel and original?: Yes, all steel. All original except the transmission which is '39 Ford, I think.

3) Where is the car?: In dry storage in Idaho; close to Twin Falls.

4) Can I see it?: Yes. If you want to see the car, contact me (wwwinn@gmail.com) and it can be arranged.

My thinking right now is: Put a price on it here at AACA and, if there are no takers, put it on eBay. I am 'motivated' but not in any rush . . . I've had it since 1960 so a few more weeks or months will not make a big difference on my end <g>!

Thanks again for all the great information and advice you have been so kind to provide me as a new forum member.

WWWinn

I think that's well done that you'd offer to the "original" guys first, not to say there aren't others on this forum, but at least then there's a chance it stays original.

We're all waiting with bated breath....what's the price?

Good luck with sale, hope it finds a good home...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wwwinn

In follow-up to my postings a few weeks ago about how to appraise and sell my '32 Ford 3-window deuce deluxe coupe, the group here offered many helpful suggestions to me as a 'newby'. The family member in Idaho who is 'hosting' my car just sent me a number of new pictures as it is coming out of storage. Please see:

http://tinyurl.com/7xjzo2g

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p>My plan is to list it on eBay and Craig's List soon with a high 'reserve price' but I wanted to let AACA folks know that I'd take $20,000 now before it is listed external to the forums here. Contact me directly if interested at that price. I will not sell for less at this time via 'advanced purchase' as my next step is to see 'what the market will bear' via off forum sales. Thanks!</o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>Wandal Winn</o:p>

<o:p>wwwinn@gci.net</o:p>

I think it's great that you're giving the members here first shot at it, hope someone steps up and buys it....I honestly think that's a good buy on the car, it looks solid.....

I just can't do another project now....sure hope someone jumps on it and keeps it original, either way, think that's great that you did this, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking up the coupe yesterday, neat car. It has had some work done on it, looks like the chassis was painted, has a 39 trans, newer engine, juice brakes, cowl lights removed and holes filled. Could be restored but I think I may leave it alone for now and drive it with some bolt on accessories. the body is amazingly straight and rust free. Wandal was a great guy to deal with!

Yes, cleaned up photos would be great! I know I'm not alone in the thought that this was a great find, one of the most desirable years and body styles of Fords.......and also not alone in thinking "dagnabbit, should have been on a plane to the West and gone after that one about 1 minute after the original post"!!!

Guest Leylands

Congrats on the purchase Neil, I just couldn't pull the trigger at this time (dog-gon-it). Please keep us updated on the progress.

Justin.