Oil Pan Rear Seal

MikeC5

I'm getting ready to re-install the oil pan (engine in car) and there is a felt seal for the aft end of the pan that is a bit tricky. The MIM says the felt must be installed on the groove in the rear main bearing cap. O.K. except the felt isn't pre-formed into a semi circle and it doesn't want to stay in that shape. The book says use shellac to hold it in place. My guess is shellac back then may not be the same as the clear stuff, used on furniture, available in stores today. Anyone have any secrets to holding this thing in place?

That's a good tip. I might still have some hot glue crystals that should also do the trick. This type of glue was used for player piano repair since it dried quick, was strong and when (wooden) glued parts needed to be separated for rebuild, a skilled person could get things apart without damaging the wood. The crystals are mixed with water and then heated to around 150 F irrc. I used to dabble with player repairs many years ago. I still have a pile of 1920's and 30's rolls too. But I digress...

Mike, Having done this many times on Model A's with the cork seal, I use contact cement. DAP "Weldwood", in the little brown bottles at any hardware store. Comes with a brush in bottle. Trick is, you have to get ALL the traces of oil off mating surfaces first--follow directions on label to a "T". When you go to put it on, make sure you've really got it lined up well, you'll have only one shot to do it. IT STICKS!----Pete.

Go on then; if I put my four penny worth in, the poor guy will be really confused!

'Cerecit .' It is commonly used in the building trade and will allow you time to fit the seal but sets hard enough to stay put.

(What you do with the rest of it that's left over, is anyone's guess!)

I would be interested to know if there is any opinion on coating the felt with graphite or grease? I have even heard of using silicone but never tried it.

ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)