1934 Dodge

Guest Aussie Luke

My DRXX has the split window system so must have been an available option - now to get them to work.

Nope windshield does not crank out, nor close tight

Thanks Luke,

This all goes into understanding the different makes and models and having you confirm this just ticks another box !!

Mine has the split windows. If Luke can provide a photo with the windows up this should show me and I believe his will be one complete single window. Again if the XX is a cheaper car then they would have removed the split window feature, fitted a single window and use the same garnish mould hence the hole with nothing in it.

Ian I have literature that implies or states that the 7 way ventialtion system ( which includes these door window configurations I am assuming ) were options avail to all models. Again if you read my earlier post you will see the differences in price on where the car could be purchased and where the price could be when all the bells and whistles were attached.

Do any of you guys have the fold out windshield that is working?

Was looking over the thread and thought I would ask if we could see a shot of the front suspension, as it was the first year Chrysler Corporation offered idependent front suspension.

Amongst the information on the 1934 Dodge DR and DRXX in this thread -

SUSPENSION

The 1934 models saw the debut of an independent front suspension. The front and rear leaf springs were of the semi-elliptical type, with the rear springs protected with metal covers. The spring shackles were "C"-shaped bolts held with rubber-cored bushings to reduce vibration. The threaded bushings served the dual purpose of holding the shackle in place and isolating it from the frame in the hanger.

Actually, the IFS cars used COIL springs up front and not leaf springs. The DR, DS and DT models all used the same system as the the Plymouth PE and PF. The PG used leaf springs up front with a solid axle. OF course, for 1935 both Plymouth and Dodge dropped IFS and reverted to leaf springs up front.

The DT, by the way, used the Plymouth PE body, frame and engine with the DR front clip and instrument panel. The first `Plodge`.

A while back Hemmings Classic Car had an article on a Canadian-built 1934 Dodge Convertible Coupe. Do not know if it was a DR or DT as the article was poorly researched. The author also had the car having front leaf springs, but you could tell by the photos of the front end there were no leaf springs!

On the topic of cylinder heads, the standard heads on Chrysler products were cast iron, but the high compression heads were generally aluminum. This started back in the 1920`s with the Red Ram heads on Chryslers.

Bill

Toronto, ON

• 4 months later...
Guest Aussie Luke

Hey Lads,

Very long time between drinks! My Wife Ilyse and I have been absolutly flat out over the past year, holidays, work, music,weddings, sickness, now pregnancy!! Dorothy is in at the Auto Elects as we speak having her generator looked at and I've finally got her in to have an indicator system wirred up. I recently entered Dorothy into a car show not far from my place and we picked up a top 10 award out of 506 entries, was pretty stoked with that! Also ended up getting my hands on her Build Card. Check out the photos I've attached.

Hope everyone is well and your cars are still turning their wheels!!

Luke.post-84270-143141913797_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143141913778_thumb.jpeg

post-84270-14314191379_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143141913792_thumb.jpeg

post-84270-143141913793_thumb.jpeg

post-84270-143141913796_thumb.jpeg

post-84270-143141913801_thumb.jpeg

Hey Luke,

Great shots and love the car in the wedding photos, I reckon that really makes the shot.

A while ago in this thread we were discussing the front window mechanism. if you have a look in my other Thread "slow progress but getting there" you will see a few posts where I dissected the winding mechanism and explain how everything works. you may find this useful. keep on posting photos, we love photos.

Cheers

Ian

• 6 months later...
Guest Aussie Luke

G'day Ian.

Im very sorry its taken mths to get back to mate, we've had a massive couple of mths. We're the pround parents of a bouncing baby boy, we named him Beren. Our desktop pc bit the dust and we lost all our emails. What pics were you after in regards to the dodge?

Cheers

Luke.

Hi Luke,

Congratulations on the birth of your son. ( another potential Dodge owner ???? ).

I too have been flat out. Daughter just finished VCE ( year 12 ) and got into the course she wanted. For finishing I took her to Hong Kong ( where my brother lives ) for 10 days. Great fun. My other daughter just got her braces off and looks great. On Xmas day we fly out to Dubai to visit our son who is a Chef and lives there. My wife had a scare with a lump in the throat but turned out ( after numerous tests ) to be nothing to be concerned about. ( one test was $680 for 15 minutes and I thought the Dodge was expensive ! )

Poor Dodge is suffering but still try and check on the internet at the forum.

If you could take some interior shots, seats, dash board etc...that would be fantastic.

Cheers

Ian

Luke,

DId you ever hear anything back about your build card? I sent for cards for my 1930 Dodge, 1931 Dodge, 1935 Chrysler and my 1936 Dodge and they only had them for my 1930 and my 1936. All of mine aer US cars so good luck with getting yours. It looks like the records at Chrysler are hit and miss and they are missing a lot of them. Love your 1934, I always have liked that body style.

Guest Aussie Luke

Hey Ian, you have been busy! Thanks for the congratulations, he's going great guns! Happy to hear your wife is ok, that would be stressful. I can't work out how to upload pics on the site from my iPod? I'll try and work it out and sort those pics for you today. I bought a 35 Chev last week to go with Dorothy on the wedding scene, it's a 3rd generation vehicle, garaged all it's life, very straight!

35cz8, I was very successful with my search mate, the had all the details I was after, I posted them a couple of comments ago, they were very helpful, best money I've spent on her so far. If I work this photo upload thing out ill repost them as well.

Cheers, Luke.

Luke: There's another good example of what I have mentioned before. Don't bother asking for (and paying for) a "decode" of the information on the Build Record Card from Chrysler Historical. Just get the Card copy. That is all you really need.

They have the Serial Number posted wrong on the "decode", the manufacture and shipping dates wrong on the "decode", and no apparent information on the paint and trim codes. I see this so often. I am more than a bit surprised at this level of work from a professional Library. Hmmmm.

I think guys fron the Forum here can "decode" your Build Record more completely, more accurately and with more detail. You just have to ask.

• 7 months later...
Hope all stay well Ian, here's a little info I found via "Fee-Bay" that's the original color of mine , see the "Golden beige Poly" with the " how to mix it " good info...
Thought I would jump into this thread as I have been corresponding with Ian on his 34 Dodge, even though my ride has always been 34 Plymouth. Well, I made the leap and picked up a 34 DRXX business coupe from the family of the original owner--also in the original Golden Beige Poly. It has the appropriate door jamb serial number, starting with '4', that matches up with the DRXX. After plowing through all the entries in the thread and spending some time with my library of 34 Plymouth and Dodge material, I send out the following thought for comments: I do not think the DRXX, which was an economy model of the 34 DR, not an 'export' version with the smaller displacement engine (that was the DRX), had the vent windows. I am very familiar with them because they are also on my 34 PE Plymouths--hard to make work right but when they do, great feature. This DRXX appears to be very original and not messed with and has just the single pane of glass in the doors, without the vents. It has what look like 33 window garnishes because they do not have the hole for the vent window winder nor the notch for the 'lever' that controls the dual function of these vent-type windows. They also don't have the larger apron found on 34s. If you look at the parts books closely the DRXX has a different part number for the door window garnishes than the standard DR, with the vent window. Obviously, if you look at production numbers, garnishes for a 34 DR would be much easier to find than those for a DRXX. Topic for another thread would be that the DRXX has, according to the parts books, headlights that are unique to the DRXX. Unlike the elongated Stabilite shells found on the DR, these are shorter, closer to a 34 PE headlight (which are TiltRay), but still are Stabilites. Will see what I can find on this topic--more fun! See attached photo of the DRXX interior.

post-89602-143142678506_thumb.jpg

You are correct on the comment concerning the export models - a single "X" meant an export model with the small bore engine. Serial numbers were in the sequence for model number without the "X" The "XX" models were a variation of the model, usually a lower priced model with less equipment and the "XX" models had their own serial number sequences. In the late 1930's Chrysler would start adding a letter after the model number (S, D, C).

The 1934 Dodge parts book lists a single piece of glass for the doors on the DRXX coupes and two pieces for the DR and DT. The DRXX also has a door glass channel assembly which is not listed for the DR and DT.

The DT was the first Canadian-built Plodge - Plymouth body, chassis, and powertrain with Dodge instrument panel and Dodge sedan front hood and grille.

When it comes to old paint formulas, remember those tints mentioned have not been around for decades. DuPont's "246" lacquers and "202" metallic lacquers were replaced by acrylic lacquers in 1962-1963.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine and drivetrain all there and seems to be free. Last run about 3-4 years ago but needs the radiator re-done and a new water pump. Came from the family of the original owner who have had the car since 34. Has about 76,000 original miles on it, with only about 500 since 1961 when it was pretty much retired to the garage--has been in covered storage ever since. Upholstery has been redone, I believe in the early 1070s, in a roughly correct pattern but the rest of the car is untouched and original. Even has the spare wheel lock on the rear spare, under the hubcap (on the lug nut) that has the original Omega 'bent key' that matches the ignition key. I have never seen one of these. Will try to get the rest of the car cleaned up (I literally only hosed off the front end and dried it before taking the above picture) next weekend and will take some pictures to share. Nice original car that should not take too much to get it back on the road. Wasn't really looking for another car (trying to get my 34 PE convertible back on the road...) but this one was too nice to pass up. Best as I can tell, while there were about 15,000 DRXX models built, all in Detroit, only about 2000 of those were business coupes. SMB

Hey Guys,

As promised, here a a few shots of Dorothy (Dot) my 1934 Dodge.

It's only letting me upload 5 at a time so I'll post more seperatley.

Let me know what you think.

Luke.

I can't seem to find oil filter on your motor pictures is it remote or just hiding? I see gauge feed tube but no filter? the lines should be right behind starter and in front of dip stick...?? maybe a picture of its location would help, thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aussie Luke

Hey Knobless,

Dorothy's in getting her brakes done so we wont have any fear when she's out working.

Its been a long time since I've had the time to log on. Here is a link to our business, http://www.elegantmetal.net.au/ let me know what you think.

Ian, what photos were you after again? I'll be sur to get then to you when Dot gets home.

Here's a shot of Charlotte our 35 Chev, she's all finished and ready to be put to work.

post-84270-143142722994_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie Luke

Ive always been lost Ian, sometimes I find my way back!! Haha.

I couldnt tell you off the top of my head mate, she's been in getting the brakes done for over 3 weeks now, we're waiting on a rear hub seal out of the states, have forgotten what she looks like!! Will get all photos you want when she gets home, once again, sorry for the delay, our son Beren is nearly 11mths old know and everything has been on hold sorta kinda!

Cheers Manual, If you scroll up towards the top of this page you'll see what she looked like when I got her, big difference I reckon!!

I love your cars Luke and hope your business is a storming success. Everyone says I should do similar with my cars but my wife thinks there would not be the demand these days. I would think the weather would have more to do with bookings for an open car. I also have my hands full with our boarding cattery business during the summer months.

There are a lot of things to consider with a new business so I really hope yours takes off.:):)

post-78869-143142723853_thumb.jpg

post-78869-143142723887_thumb.jpg

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Hi Ian. It's a 1930 Austin Swallow. That's a short wheelbase Austin Seven with aluminium skin over an ash frame built by Swallow Coachworks of Coventry. This was the firm run by William Lions who famously went on to create SS and then Jaguar. The car is almost completely original with many unique features which is quite rare these days; especially in roadworthy condition. I call her 'Trundles' and she has been utterly reliable and in my care for the past 30 years. She's a little gem!

Ray.

Guest Aussie Luke

Ian, Im not entirley sure what the seal looks like, I know its a tappered axle and very hard to find. The place thats doing it are very good at what they do and searched everywhere in Oz but couldnt come up with anything.

Ray, what lovely ladys they are. I think you should have a go, the coupe may be hard for the bride to get in and out of but hey, just do it for little brides!! Thanks for your kind words mate, we think the same of them ourselves, I just wish we had the time to call in for that cuppa when we were over your way, you could have taken us for a spin!!

Is this the one......on the left side ?

That looks very much like the outer seal for the '33 Plymouth as well. Dimensions might be slightly different but the concept is the same.

. . . we're waiting on a rear hub seal out of the states . . .

If your seals look like the ones Ian Greenlaw posted, this is what I did. It might help and you might be able to get the stuff you need locally: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/axle_seal/

I knew I had a few sets here is the number you are looking for on the box...

National 5687? That is the same seal as for the '33 Plymouth, see: http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group3#891436

If the old notes I had that I used to create my database are correct, the National one is leather while a Victor 49770 (probably obsolete number) was rubber. But, in either case, you can pop the seal part out of the carrier and press in a modern seal. I put a Timken 350936 seal in there. Apparently intended for a chain case cover seal but as long as the sizing is right it works.

Guest Aussie Luke

Hey guys,

Im not sure what they look like but will email these photos to my guy doing the brakes and find out. Being that we are a fully registered buisness now I cant do this sort of work myself anymore, if something was to happen (touch wood) and I had done it myself I can kiss the cars and even my house goodbye.

I'll let you guys know how I go.

Edited by Aussie Luke (see edit history)

Hey guys,

Im not sure what they look like but will email these photos to my guy doing the brakes and find out. Being that we are a fully registered buisness now I cant do this sort of work myself anymore, if something was to happen (touch wood) and I had done it myself I can kiss the cars and even my house goodbye.

I'll let you guys know how I go.

Like the phase: touch wood . we knock on it here.....haha