42LC to West. Meet??

What do you guys think? I'm up by the Cdn. border (Bellingham) was thinking about attending the Western Meet in Jacksonville OR & driving my 42 Coupe. This would be my first ever Zephyr Meet ever. It is probably around 500 miles oneway?. The car runs ok, just put in a reblt. dist. that I've had forever from George ??. Would burn thru a bunch of oil though. I think the brakes are ok, redid them a couple of yrs. back. A little unsure about the mastercylinder though, rehoned it & put a kit in it, but as I recall a piece dropped out of it at the last second & I didn't see which way it went. Anyway put it together, & it seems to work ok. Howerver I have never slammed on the brakes to really test it!. Also concerned about driving all that distance on I-5, (my overdrive works, for now at least). I know you guys drive your cars all over, however I don't like all Interstate driving. If I do it in 2 days then I would have to leave it out at night somewhere, this worries me also. Maybe I am trying to talk myself out of it?, anyway whats the feeling out there?, am I nuts? for considering this, or for not doing it? Thanks

I was thinking I could offer you the garage my wife's car is in if you wanted to stop overnight in Portland, OR, but she says get a car cover. You could tie the cords of the cover with a cable and lock. Some of the downtown hotels (Hilton) have underground valet parking that should be secure. I've left all manner of vintage iron out overnight in my residential driveway away from the street without incident, and you are welcome to use.

Abe

Try a short drive first, say 100 miles each way ..in daylight...run your lights anyway..The key is that overdrive..working, the drive is a snap..engine loafs along..I like 15-40 rotella oil but no swear by mobil 1 15-50w ..Look closely at both waterpumps for signs of leak I would rebuild them (skip H)..maybe bring a spare fuel pump...and a coil (again skip h)

I broke down 1 time, close to home of course with wifey and kids!!...cheapo fuel pump from

Macs, off shore poorly made..but now I have back up electric..(also not a bad idea for 500 mile run)

50 years ago your car would make the trip easily. Coping with the traffic congestion thru Seattle, Tacoma and even Olympia will be a real experience. Trying to maintain safe distances will be a challenge for you and the brakes on your car. Besides the engine considerations I would make sure the brakes are up to snuff. Wheel bearings should be packed with fresh grease if they haven't been done for a long time. Fresh oil in the transmission and rear axle probably a good idea. You'll be on that brake pedal a lot especially on I-5 just North of Seattle clear thru to South of Tacoma during the day. "Traffic" starts real early. An extra Coil and a couple of condensers might be a good idea for the travel kit.

Jeff's advise about a couple of "test" runs would also be a good idea. I think the main thing is to realize your car's limitations and drive accordingly if you decide to make the trip.

Thanks for all your replys! I did all my bearings last Spring when I did my brakes. One of several concerns I just thought about are my tires! I think there old Cokers (have to look at them again). They were on the car when I bought it in 1990!. Nice wide whites, but at least 20-25 yrs. old. At freeway speeds, (say 55MPH) think I could get away with it?. I also have a very nice old 71 MARK III that I could take, however it has sat for years & would need a new complete exhaust system before I took it. Also the old C6 tranny leaks like a sieve, & needs to be overhauled. But could probably "nurse" it down there. The joys of old cars that just sit. Anyway thanks for your thoughts. Of course we have a "modern" car that we could take down, just would prefer to take a Lincoln down to a Lincoln meet!