1929 Dodge Brothers 5w coupe DA

Guest smoore

Guest smoore

I know this is probably a tough question to answer but I am trying to find a value range for this car. I found one I would like to buy but not sure of the value. It is a very clean body with two very small rust areas and one very small dent. The wood is still inside and is not rotted out. The car is complete minus the engine, transmission, front and rear axles and rear deck lid. The paint is pretty much gone but there is a correct title with it. Looking for any input on the value. I'm in the midwest if location makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any info.

Guest Bill Miller

First, make sure it's a DA (112" wheelbase). Restored-to-original cars in #1 Concours category condition are worth maybe $13K if you are lucky. And that's for a professional quality prize-winning restoration. Without any drive train you are looking at huge restoration costs assuming you are going to put the car back to original and not rod it. Figure what it's going to cost to restore, subtract that from the totally restored value, and that's what it's worth. Often that means the seller would have to pay you to take the car away in order for you to break even financially. If you are trying to make money on a restoration of this sort forget it, you will never get your money back. You are almost always better off overpaying for a car that's been totally restored and needs no work, than underpaying for a car that needs a lot of restoration especially if parts are missing (matching numbers make a difference to collectors). But if you just like the car and want something to play with then buy it for whatever you can afford to pay and enjoy working on it as a hobby and labor of love. I speak from experience. Good luck.

Bill