1932 pikes peak car

Guest 1991vette

Guest 1991vette

Can anyone tell me about the 1932 pike's peak win by essex terraplane. I've searched google to no end to try and find out what body style won the race. I met someone a few years back and they told me it was a roadster that won the race and it was a one of car. Can anyone confirm this? I believe the drivers name was Chet Miller.

I know the vast majority of Essex-Terraplane racing took place in 1933 and most of that was hillclimbing and most of the entries were the 8 cylinder cars but the 6 cyl cars set some of the records. By the end of 1933, Essex Terraplanes held EVERY available hillclimb record, yes every record in the book. I'm not sure if any of the records were set in 1932 with the narrow tread cars. The '33 race cars were 6 and 8 cyl roadsters because that was the lightest body style available.

I owned a '32 Essex-Terraplane roadster body years ago - it was very VERY rough but genuine roadster with no door glass and pockets for the side curtains to set into. I also had a '33 Essex-Terraplane 8 convertible coupe that was fully restored and an AACA senior. Sold it 25 years ago. Currently driving a '34 Terraplane conv. coupe.

In 1934 Hudson issued a challenge to all comers (other makes) to meet their Terraplanes any time any where to race. Ford showed up for two races and lost. No one else showed up. GREAT promotion for Hudson and Terraplane and sold a lot of cars.

I recommend you find James Fack's book on Land Flying as it will answer many questions and add greatly to your knowledge.

Do you have a Terraplane?

post-57494-143138915246_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143138915248_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143138915256_thumb.jpg

post-57494-14313891526_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143138915281_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143138915285_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Chicago Tribune PART 2, Sep 10, 1933

NEWS AND VIEWS' (CLIP)

For the second successive year the famous Penrose trophy will be in the keeping of the Hudson Motor Car company by virtue of the record smashing victory of Al Miller, driving a standard stock Terraplane 8 in the Pike's Peak Labor day hill climb.

Miller's time for the dash up the 12.5 mile mountain course, 19 minutes 65.2 seconds, beat the existing stock car record by one minute 25.7 seconds. Never before has the stock been shattered by so wide a margin.

Only 48 seconds slower than the new record time came Terraplane, driven by Chet Miller, who last year won the Pike's peak climb in a Terraplane and the record which was broken this year.

To make it a clean sweep for Terraplane, two others, driven by Otto Dollman and Paul Bost, finished in and fourth positions.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

• 4 years later...