Rally America - Rechromed Wheels

JZRIV

I've had a few requests to post before and after pics of the work recently performed by Rally America Rally America Home Page.

Three of the five wheels I sent them had what I considered moderate to severe rust on the face. Initially I wrote these wheels off as being junk due to the condition. The rust shown in the before pic was probably the worst of the three but all had variations of that most of the way around. Even though they did an outstanding job on these, its always better to start with rust free cores whenever possible.

From the first time I contacted them about the possibility of rechroming these wheels, Jimmy responded back with confidence they could restore them. Knowing how difficult wheels are to do even without rust I still had some doubt. The pics don't lie in this case. I would rate the quality a 10 out of 10 and I'm probably more particular than the average customer. And for $225 per wheel, I felt this was a very reasonable price.

They were very pleasant to deal with and turned them around in about 1 month and I told them I was in no hurry.

If anyone sends wheels and wants the inserts painted gray instead of black be sure to tell them. I didn't and they came back black. Honestly, I didn't expect they would paint them for that price so that exceeded my expectations.

Needless to say they won my vote of confidence.

post-50687-143138911591_thumb.jpg

post-50687-143138911597_thumb.jpg

post-50687-143138911602_thumb.jpg

post-50687-143138911606_thumb.jpg

post-50687-143138911609_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob J

WOW Jason, those look FREAKING beautiful!!!!! I'm gonna box mine up, and send em out! And, that's exactly how I want them with the black and all.

VERY, VERY Nice. Thanks for the photo's!

They look great! I think I'll pull some of my tired ones together too.

It occured to me to take them to a tire shop, pull the tire off and spin them on the tire balancer to make sure they aren't bent.

I'd hate to spend the $'s to later find out my beautiful rim is bent. Kinda like finding out your hot girlfriend is gay.....all show and no go.

Rob,

If you remember in one of Jason's earlier posts, he said the black was not the correct color for the inserts. If you're going with purely stock colors you should find out what the correct color is. I don't know exactly what it is - something like a dark charcoal, but I'll bet that someone watching and listening does.

Ed

PS - Jason, the wheels look great; didn't want to leave you out of this post

Guest Rob J

Not sure if Satin Black was the factory correct color of the Road wheels in 65' but they sure do look right in that color IMO. I'll have mine painted just like Jason's.

Jason, so you don't have to bother repainting those, just send them my way, and I'll take them off of your hands.

WOW, nothing like making a silk purse out of a sow's ears Jason - those are just awesome and well worth the expense !! They even did the reverse side of the wheels, which are quite prone to rusting. Gonna look really nice on that '66 !! Thanks for your pictorial and the positive feedback.

Rob,

If you remember in one of Jason's earlier posts, he said the black was not the correct color for the inserts. If you're going with purely stock colors you should find out what the correct color is. I don't know exactly what it is - something like a dark charcoal, but I'll bet that someone watching and listening does.

Ed

PS - Jason, the wheels look great; didn't want to leave you out of this post

The charcoal gray color Ed referred to is called "Argent."

And yes, the wheels look great Jason... Looking forward to seeing them on your car!

Al,

I believe Argent is the silver used to detail the grille and center hood molding. It may be closer to the wheel paint Buick used on the `64 Wildcat mag wheels, which is much lighter than the `65 accent color, but the `65, `66 and first edition `67 wheels are a much darker color than Argent....more dark charcoal, same color as the clamshell accents and rocker molding recesses on the `65`s.

Tom Mooney