1926 Wiper Motor Info Needed!

I can prob. show you a photo of one Bill but dont think I have one that is mounted

That would sure help Jason!

I took some photos when I got home and also a more accurate dimension on the mounting hole center. Darn tape measures! It comes out to 4-11/16" instead of 4-3/4".

The only reason I needed a mounted photo is so I can get an idea on which side and how the vacuum line is run.(Tubing, hose, etc.)

You can also see the broken mounting ear on the inside photo.

post-52313-143138910533_thumb.jpg

post-52313-143138910537_thumb.jpg

It looks like Francis beat me to it on the other Dodge discussion forum, ( I was just waiting for this to start getting confusing ) the wiper motor that he is showing was my wiper motor.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

It looks like Francis beat me to it on the other Dodge discussion forum, ( I was just waiting for this to start getting confusing ) the wiper motor that he is showing was my wiper motor.

Yes, Francis has been more than helpful! (Although it's the wrong type)

I will pretend it's 1926 and I am an accessories Engineer for the Bank that owned Dodge Brothers and come up with a half moon Trico that has the same mounting centers as the holes drilled, vacuum line on the left, a lever assist for going uphill, and call it a day........

It appears nobody would know if it was incorrect or not. I will make it look like it was made for the car! :D

As for the 'other' website, I tried to get on and couldn't. To be honest, I don't really want to go anywhere else - I like it here!

Ray.

I like it here too Ray!

It looks like I will have to be creative on the wiper motor as I did on the ignition switch. I will make one more attempt to get a photo of a Trico Half round wiper motor in their Dodge! Anyone?

My catalogs for Trico only go back to 1928 For Dodge but for some reason go as far back as 26 for Chevrolet, are you sure it was originally a Trico.

I would suggest contacting another 26 owner from the D.B club roster and asking them for a picture/description.

I will surely run across something that will answer the question eventually but I have not found it yet.

Dumb question I know maybe and it will show what little I know abot the 26 cars but I though that the wiper was originally mounted on the inside of the windshield on 26, I thought ( as you mentioned ) that it was the half moon type mounted on the inside.

I just went with what Francis showed because I figured he knew more than I

Jason,

The parts book mentions the Folberth as the automatic wiper and the Trico as a manual wiper. I believe mine to be the manual mounted inside because of the broken ear left in the mounts. I saw Francis had a bracket to mount the Folberth on the outside but he pulled his photos and replies before I could download it.

I will keep searching........

post-52313-143138912434_thumb.jpg

Quote..........Trico as the manual wiper.........That is strange, why offer the option this late.

I was not aware that Trico offerered a manual wiper this late assuming manual does indeed refer to just a little handle deelie on the inside with a wiper on the outside

Bill, I have not yet printed it out yet because no time but it seems that pages 401-406 might be of more help, when I do print these pages the writing is so small I have to strain my eyes to see it so I either need glasses or I need to learn how to print the pages larger so they fit the entire page.

I too will need a wiper, as the electric one in my car is not working; it has a manually operated lever which should be O.K. for the test, but in reality that would not be very practical.

The dilema I face is that although originally a vacuum wiper like this Trico would have been fitted, from my experience with using these in a number of cars (including my Austin Swallow) they are not as good as the electric ones. Anyone old enough will remember how they would slow down under accelleration, or on hills and speed up again when the throttle was lifted. Some cars employed a reservoir which helped (I have made my own before now) but again, this is a question of how far do you go to keep the car original, or at least authentic.

Vacuum or electric; which is it to be?

Ray.

P.S. welcome to the club, Pete.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

If you drive it a lot in the rain I can see where an upgrade would be well justified from a safety perspective. As long as you can convert it without major modifications, it can always be switched back to stock if you later change your mind.

Bill, saw your thread, This is a 1925 touring, Trico that was on car when I recently got it. I really don't know if this will help you out, but I think it may be original equipment. Sorry Mike, I beat you to posting pictures. (More would help).----Pete.

Hello Pete!

Words can't express my gratitude! It's got the helper lever for going uphill, the threaded mounting ears, and it's a Trico mounted inside. The last thing you could tell me is that it has 4-11/16" center distance between the ears. I will probably ask you later for the model number as soon as I wipe this smile off my face! :D

We will see what Mike shows us and compare.

I don't recall seeing an anti-rotation post such as yours has Pete. I'll have to take a close look at the upper windshield and see if there is any evidence of a remnant or hole. It's easy to imagine the one I have being a retrofit of a newer model. Dang, now I'll probably have to find a correct wiper motor..

Hello Bill, I just measured the distance between the threaded holes on the "ears". It is exactly 4- 3/4"! (I measured it three times). I wish I knew what was really on the Dodge in '25. If you notice, there is a drilled hole in my windshield frame just to the left of the mounting screw as seen from the outside picture I posted above. I suspect maybe a longer, cylindrical type motor? there is a hose going down post, through firewall and to a fitting on my vacuum tank. I have MUCH to learn about the Dodge car. I'll post some "barn find" info later. Bill, there is no other stampings, or numbers on the body of the wiper motor. Only the large brass name tag.----Pete.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

I believe yours to be as original as anything else. Yours is the first wiper motor I have found with the threaded ears. As far as the measurement tolerance on the holes could be 1/32" on a side. This makes 3 vehicles I have found with the same type mountings. Yes, the Folberth cylinder type was used but have found evidence that others were used as well.

I am beginning to wonder if a lot of cars were purchased without them and were later installed by local garages.

I am collecting photos and as much data as possible and will post the results here.

P.S. Get a battery for that touring so we can hear it run!

Bill, I have not yet printed it out yet because no time but it seems that pages 401-406 might be of more help, when I do print these pages the writing is so small I have to strain my eyes to see it so I either need glasses or I need to learn how to print the pages larger so they fit the entire page.

I will check that out Jason when I get home. I've been on the road the last couple of days.

I don't recall seeing an anti-rotation post such as yours has Pete. I'll have to take a close look at the upper windshield and see if there is any evidence of a remnant or hole. It's easy to imagine the one I have being a retrofit of a newer model. Dang, now I'll probably have to find a correct wiper motor..

Your lucky Mike! At least you have a wiper! The only piece I have is a broken ear!

I will attempt to put this in a chronological order for future reference. All the photos of members wipers with build dates from 1925 thru 1927 to see when the changes were made. Do you know your build date Mike?

My 1926 Sedan and Coupe are both March 1926 with identical mounting holes as shown in the phtos in the beginning of this thread.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS PHOTOS!!!! :D

Your lucky Mike! At least you have a wiper! The only piece I have is a broken ear!

I will attempt to put this in a chronological order for future reference. All the photos of members wipers with build dates from 1925 thru 1927 to see when the changes were made. Do you know your build date Mike?

My 1926 Sedan and Coupe are both March 1926 with identical mounting holes as shown in the phtos in the beginning of this thread.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS PHOTOS!!!! :D

That is a GREAT idea, not to beat a dead bush but what I do in cases like this is pick up the roster, its not the most user friendly but with a notepad, pen and a little time you can make your own list/roster of all the 26 owners and their contact info.

Call them and ask them for a photo of what they have if there is any chance it is original, alot of guys will be wanting to sell you their car, some of the guys ( very few I have noticed ) just wont be bothered to help and some of the guys will tell you they will help and never will but then the rest will send you a photo and you will start seeing the trends.

My point is dont become discouraged, the more of a challenge the greater the personal reward

I for one would be very interested in your findings, in my opinion this sort of work is the most fun, sleuthing out the mysteries.

Well I just looked at my upper windshield and there are two 'extra' holes. They are 5-5/8" apart (c to c) but are not equally spaced about the center hole. One is about 3" from the center hole. So it appears more likely that my wiper motor may not be correct....

Thanks Bill. I found this photo of one in an old thread. It was referred to as a Trico-Folberth.

Thanks for the tip on the NOS Trico Ray. Maybe I'll be able to figure out what it should have soon...

Mike if you want to be ABSOLUTELY CORRECT you need to find a Folberth wiper motor.

William Folberth received his patent in 1922. Trico and Folberth had a patent dispute that settled in 1925. (Month unknown at this time but I'm working on it) and Trico purchased Folberth for a million bucks.

SOOOOOOOOOO I'm guessing at this point that Trico-Folberth wiper did not appear until 1926 or later. I will be more specific when info is known..... :D

Wow! Too bad I was 3 weeks late! I found your wiper motor Mike that sold for $20. I did get a photo and a description:

"Black painted Folberth measures approx.. 6 1/4” to cylinder end caps x 1 11/16” in diameter. “FOLBERTH, CLEVELAND O. U.S.A., PAT’D FEB 7-22” cast on cylinder. “FOLBERTH AUTO SPECIALITY CO., CLEVELAND O., PAT. FEB 7.22, OTHER PAT’S PEND.” Stamped on end cap".

You need the black one on the left...... NOTE that it does NOT say Trico/Folberth!

These were only produced for 3-4 years so it might be tough.

We are getting closer to the breakdown on wiper motors. I still would like a "Month to month" chart showing which wipers were used from 1925 thru 1927.

My next goal is to find out when Trico put their name on the castings. It's amazing what you can find out while waiting at airports.......

post-52313-143138917061_thumb.jpg

The ones on fleabay are similar looking but are air pressure operated. Our cars need the vacuum operated type. I'll just have to keep my eye out for a Folberth. They must have been used on other car in this period too (I hope), which should increase the odds...

FYI..1926 "commercial cars"thru at least 9/26 (27 series) used a manual wiper...no motor

Bill could it be that you are thinking they were manual because of the lever poitioned on the body of the wiper. My own 1930 Dodge has the lever and was placed there in case the wiper motor stopped doing its job via vacuum.

I believe you will find Bill that the wiper motor Pete posted and the one I am attaching to this post which is from a 1927 G.B commercial car may be the correct wiper motor for your car.

The D.B and G.B commercial cars had very few changes from the regular production autos and as far as from what I have read the changes were (in the later series ) addition of leaf springs at least to a single side, repositioning the gas tank ect but mechancially and in some cases sheetmetal wise ( in many cases or aspects ) were nearly identical.

The picture that I am attaching shows the wiper motor mounted quite possibly upside down, it is within a restored vehicle and seems to be a common error on these old car for some reason but it does from what I can see appear to be the same as what Pete has shown.

Sorry for the poor quality picture, it is what happens when I try and crop out the rest of the page so that the picture becomes larger. I can send the original entire page showing a very clear view to anyone that wants it.

post-48869-143138918533_thumb.jpg

Yes I will most certaintely do that, I need help to get ahold of the owner of that truck as you may be following on this thread. .....http://forums.aaca.org/f143/mag-325794.html..........I am anxious to hear what Tex has to add, I am anxious to hear why he is under the impression that the commercial cars used manual wipers.

Hoping we can clear this up. As soon as I talk with the fellow that owns the truck ( and I will eventually ) I will ask him for that measurement, might be a while, never know on these things.