1934 Plymouth PE weatherstripping

1910Hupp

Hi I've recently brought a restored 1934 Plymouth PE . I Love it . However it seems to have no weatherstripping round the doors Only some rubber bumpers for the doors to close against. Although completely watertight On a rough road there is a fair amount of squeaking that comes from the doors . I wonder if installing weatherstripping would stop this. I would appreciate photos of original weatherstripping on this model Thanks Karl

Because there wasn't rubber weather stripping around the doors you are unlikely to see original photos of it. :)

Not sure when they started putting weather strip around the doors, but in '33 and '34 they only had a seal at the bottom. Near as I can tell a fairly flat piece of rubber held on the door by the bottom of the door panel. That is missing on my car and I've not seen reproductions available so all I know of it is mention with a part number in the parts book with no images.

The rest of the door (front, top and back) are sealed by the wind lace on the inside. I guess I'll have to be more careful about remembering the details I see on later 1930s Plymouths to figure out when they started using rubber weather stripping.

Update: Just noticed your New Zealand location. If your car was assembled outside of North America it could have quite a different setup than I mentioned above. For example bodies made by companies like Holden in Australia have very little in common with US models from the firewall back.

Edited by ply33
Update for export/foreign manufacture (see edit history)

Guest stephen48

The 1934 Plymouths sold in NZ have USA bodies.There were a small number with locally built bodies over a wooden frame. You can get rubber parts for 1934 Plymouth from Lynne Steele Rubber and Metro .

It would be good if you posted a picture of you Plymouth!

Hmm That explains why no weatherstripping -I will have to consider what could be causing the squeaking. The car was once rodded with a hemi however it was obtained by Gordon Noakes in Hawkes Bay and an original chassis and running gear put back on it . He did a nice job . From there it went to a car dealer on Auckland for 12 years who due to ill health has just sold it to me . I was looking for a 1934 Ford V8 but I'm glad I got the Plymouth because I feel its a better appointed car and of course is less than 1/2 the price of the V8. I've included some photos Karl

post-60857-143138906269_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138906271_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138906272_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138906274_thumb.jpg

Nice looking car. What is that item centered above the windshield?

How about some photos of the interior and engine compartment....

I have no idea what it is It looks like a bracket for an external sunvisor but thats a guess. I'll take some more photos tomorrow .I'm not sure that the colour is right -in fact I know its not original. I think it would look better with black guards and dark maroon . However the colour is growing on me so we'll see how we go!

Guest stephen48

Hi Karl.Thanks for posting the photos . Re the comments about the fitting above the windscreen this particular car had a radio aerial fitted there when I photographed it in 2002 in Auckland.

See attached photo.

The dark maroon and black paint you are considering is one of the nicest paint options for 1934 Plymouth and is an authentic original colour.

I think you will find the 1934 Plymouth is a nice car to drive,performs well and very reliable.

post-76051-143138906429_thumb.jpg

If you do get to repainting it and like authenticity, the firewall under the hood (bonnet) should be black regardless of the body color.

I'm certainly an authenticity nut! Your website has been very helpful regards researching my car Thanks Karl

As promised attached photos of engine and interior

Overall not a bad job. So far i have indentified problems with the brake lights -A manly push on the pedal will turn the lights on but a gentle push is not enough to do so. I have a new Hydraulic switch so will install this and see how we go. I note that the non original Brake reservior and heat shield may complicate this . The heater doesn't work and since the pipes don't heat up I supsect a blocked core or faulty heater valve but that will hopefully be easy to fix . The Gearbox is a bit ropey which although I am well used to crash gearboxes makes town driving more difficult I plan to replace the transmision with a fully restored 1938 Dodge transmission. Should make the car much more driveable ! The non original carbs probably improve performance dramatically and are neatly done so I will leave for now -Karl

post-60857-14313891141_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138911412_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138911414_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138911415_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143138911417_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul Valine

I have a '38 P6 Sedan 4-dr. It also has the bottom inside seal and relies on the interior ribbon for door seal.

FYI

Paul

• 6 months later...