engine question

Guest Lee_M

mitsu 6cyl with overdrive automatic, hands-down for me. in general i hate shifting. better gas mileage, smoother running, power when you need it, parts are more readily available, and seems more reliable.

Guest My TC Toy

Ditto for me. The v6 is less trouble (with the exception of the valve guides on earlier units), smoother running and withn a longer life span.

Guest Jim_McNally

Any turbo engine outshines any NA engine in my book any day (see list below) but then I don't believe in leaving them stock much...

Jim

I don't actually have a preference on engine, they both have pro and con's. I would have preferred a NON-turbo 4 cylinder with 5 speed stick with performance gearing. My real preference is for an 89 model just to get a real steering wheel instead of the corporate airbag.

If you wear the 3point belt properly you don't even get your chest near the steering wheel. However, an air bag can reach out to your face, break your glasses, and put the pieces in your eye! If the belts fail then the airbag isn't going to do you any good anyway.

Now you are supposed to drive with hands in the 4 and 8 o clock position so the airbags don't rip your hands off or shove them in your face.

i have a 2010 Sebring and the side airbags make it useless to turn your head to see when backing up. The side pillars are so thick that they block the view. I guess they are going to add 180 degree video cams in the back to fix that problem.

Guest Lee_M

malfunction safety gear - that's why i plan on NEVER wearing my seat belt, and jumping out of the car at the last possible second, getting myself clear of any impending accident, 'cause i've read so many stories of people trapped in a car by the seat belt, and getting killed because of the seat belt.

of course there was that friend of mine killed when she was 16, because the car in which she was thrown clear of, as a passenger, landed on her and decapitated her...

meh, anecdotal stories of terror - so over-rated, and effective.

Guest My TC Toy

That's a brilliant response. That reminds me of the old Tucker car with the crash protection area below the dash. Oh, I'm going to have an accident, let me just crawl under here or jump out so I won't get hurt. Look at the stastitics, seat restraints have saved more lives and injuries than we will ever realize.

hey guys!...just a quick question....which engine would you prefer in your tc ( other than the maserati engine...) the 4 cylinder turbo or the mitsubishi 6 cyl. ?

Although I have 2 vehicles in my garage with the 3.0L, one in my '85 Voyager with the 3 speed automatic and one in my wife's 94 Shadow with a 5 speed, I still prefer the 2.2L Turbo engine in my TC even with 259 thousand miles on it. Especially since I installed a 5 speed trans. And by the way, it sure is GREAT to be rid of the ABS brakes. Now the car is completely reliable with no chance of brake system failure. Just a shame gas is now $4.00 + a gallon. Glad the TC gets 32 to 34 MPG.

I'm with you Hemi. I love the 2.2 and hate ABS. I also hate the new side airbags on a 2010 Sebring. Turning my head when backing out of a parking spot is useless with the side airbags being so thick. I'm not thrilled with the "drive by wire" throttle control either on the Sebring. Almost forgot my dislike of the ESC electronic stability control on the Sebring. It scared the heck out of me in an emergency lane change.

• 2 years later...
I think it would be cool if a Chrysler LHS 3.5 V-6, 225 hp engine could be stuffed in a TC!!

Of course you can stuff one in there. If you can dream it you can do it.

A few years ago I helped stuff a 350 into a Chevy S10 pickup, a couple of weeks ago I opened the hood of a 99 plain jane, 14in wheels, Am FM only radio, Plymouth mini van to find a 16 valve Turbo with auto tranny and AC and the way it fit it might have come that way from the factory??? The kid bought it used and came that way, he didn't know what a special motor he had and when the he finally brings it back to get his rusty strut towers repaired; I'm taking pictures.

Guest TCBucky89

I had a '95 LeBaron convertible, and always had the wild idea to convert it to rear wheel drive, and stuff a 340 four speed in it!! Totally wicked!! (My thinking, that is!!)

I had a '95 LeBaron convertible, and always had the wild idea to convert it to rear wheel drive, and stuff a 340 four speed in it!! Totally wicked!! (My thinking, that is!!)

I think there is one for sale right now around Az. Just needs engine and transmission. It was mentioned on Turbo-Mopar.