Help needed for a 1947 Pontiac Streamliner in India

Guest prithvitagore

Guest prithvitagore

Hello group,

My name is Prithvi Tagore and I live in India, in the city of Kolkata (Calcutta). I am an amateur restorer and am currently restoring a 1947 Pontiac Streamliner 6, plain back deluxe sedan.

We are progressing well. Most of the body work is complete after replacing several rusty panels. We've started reassembling the suspension on the car after rebuilding differential, servicing the leaf springs, replacing the rear shock absorbers and rebuilding the inoperative lever action shocks ourselves. But now we've hit a road block. When we assembled both sides of the front suspension with the springs, kingpins, knuckles, lower control arm along with the shocks and upper control arms, the upper arms are hitting the front frame and there is no clearance. We've obviously gone wrong while assembling but just can't figure out where.

Would appreciate help and guidance.

Best Regards

Prithvi

Guest 51c8Joe

Prithvi

I don't have much knowledge of Pontiac suspensions, but since you have not received any replies I'll try to direct you somewhere to get more info. Try The Jalopy Journal: THE H.A.M.B. - Powered by vBulletin This is a hot rod and custom message board and the people there are always playing around with older car suspension systems. Someone will surely be able to help you.

Joe

Edited by 51c8Joe
poorly stated (see edit history)

You may get for free here The Old Car Manual Project - Car Manuals for Old Cars | The Old Car Manual Project

If you cannot find a 1947 Ponti look for another GM car (Buick, Chev Olds Cad) about the same year

Edit

Directory Index: Pontiac

Directory Index: 1948 Pontiac Foldout

There some well detailed Buick workshop manuals on this site

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hi prithvi , how far has the restoration come. i am krishnan from hyderabad. i also own a 1947 pontiac streamliner

which i hope to start restoring in jan 2014. i have lined up a lot of spares before i start the restoration. are you keeping it

at 6v or converting to 12 v ?

• 1 month later...
Guest Fat n Flat

Is it possible that you have installed the upper and lower control arms that are made for the left side on the right side and the right side arms on the left? Just wondering.