Metz Friction Discs

Guest Mochet

Guest Mochet

Just to keep the Metz thread moving along, I thought I'd post an observation. The Metz 22 had a 17" diameter aluminum friction plate, and the Metz 25 (introduced in 1915) apparently had a 20" plate. I assume this means the '25' went faster, at least theoretically.

Phil

Guest Mochet

Well, the 25 indicates horsepower, so it has 3 more than the 22. This was done by increasing the bore. I guess that's a 10% increase. I don't know if they increased the size of the fiber wheel; I doubt it.

Phil

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phil, I recently had my friction plate tested at a local business. My purpose for taking the disk to the business was to see if they could cut grooves into the face of the plate that was worn smooth over the 98 years of life of this car. And to see if they could doe the same to the second side of this plate. There are places on this side that have the grooves worn off, even though it has always been 'inside', riding next to the disk that is directly attached to the shaft from the engine. They, the technicians, first tested the material that the plate was made of to determine if they could do this. They found the material to be harder than aluminum. They did not determine what actually made up the alloy of this disk but found it not to be aluminum. According to the techs aluminum, the strongest, tests no greater than 28. My plate tested 37 and 38. Please know that I have no idea what these numbers represent other than some hardness value. They declined to attempt cutting new grooves into my original plate for fear the plate would shatter. They also found that my plate is not purely flat, too. By laying a straight edge on the plate they found there is some warp in the middle if the straight edge is laid in one direction. When laying the straight edge in another direction the plate was found to be straight.

I have now placed the original plate back on the car with the former inside face now on the outside. I had to re-adjust the space between the plate and drive wheel when I did this.

That is some great data Jerry, thanks for sharing. If at all possible, it would be great if you could ask the technicians what the numbers represent. Some possible choices would be:

Brinell, Knoop, Rockwell A, Rockwell B and Vickers.

I will check but it will be a while before I can get back there. Tomorrow my wife and I are heading out to Boston then on to New Hampshire for a few days. We are stopping @ the Waltham Museum to see the Metz display. I am excited about that. I hope to get pictures on Metz Model 22 on display to compare to our Model 22. I hope to be able to crawl around under it for some pictures of how the connections are made (brakes, drive train, etc.)

Jerry