Buick Inline 8

Guest jmorrisn699a

Guest jmorrisn699a

Looking to buy1950s inline 8.

Has any one installed a modern Chevy v 8 or other - stick shift transmisson 5 or 6 speed with overdrive behind a 1950s inline 8?

• 1 month later...

JM

There are adapter kits to use an GM auto on a Buick 8

i have installed a GM 5 speed on a Buick 8

You have to use a engine with a standard trans. so the crank is drilled for the pilot bush. I used the engines bell housing machined the opening for the input / front bearing of the transmission. Used a clutch with the spine for the transmission used the Buicks flywheel and pressure plate. the top two holes on the bellhousing can be used you need to oblong the holes on the transmission and use allen head bolts going into the bellhousing. the bottom mount we used a peice of aluminum angle and used the two holes on the ears of the bellhousing to bolt together.weld the angle to the Alluminum transmisson housing.

in the Buick manual it says you need to tip the crank to remove the flywheel and bellhousing . you can get them off . First you need to make the position of the timing make so you can know where the timing on the flywheel goes. all you need do is mark the front balancer. remove the pressure plate and clutch.

remove the bolts from the flywheel.

you can get the lower bolts of the bellhousing out the flywheel can not be removed while the bellhousing is on.

Keep the fly wheel back and make a cut toward the top of the bellhousing where the two top bolts of the bellhousing are. We used a cut off wheeland drilled the ends only wide enufe fo a opened end wrench.

you realy need two people to get this part done.

for the throw out bearing i used the sleve that was on the 5sp transmission and the buick throw out bearing and fork and turned the 5 sps shaft for the throw out bearing.

for the clutch its self i used a hydrolic slave cylinder and master off a Jeep .

make a bracket to bolt on the front of the bellhousing

I will try to put some pictures up.

thats how i did it.

Guest Hector
here are some pictures

of the transmission and engine

That's one good looking hotrod you have there Oscar.Thanks for posting.

I don't want to steal the thread

the rear end is a 78 camaro

the boby is a VW bug with the 52 buick dash and firewall

the frame is the front suspention of the buick with the rear of a56 Desoto

the kick outs are for the body mounts thought the frame cound match into the body I'll make a panel to hide the gaps

here are some pics

post-70173-14313894004_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940043_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940045_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940059_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940074_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940088_thumb.jpg

post-70173-143138940102_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest jmorrisn699a

Oscar

Sorry I did not thank you for your reply and photos I am new to how the forum works just found your reply. I rebuilt the engine and kept it original. Would send photos but do not know how to up load.

Thanks Jim

post-82878-143142426816_thumb.jpg

post-82878-143142426825_thumb.jpg

post-82878-143142426852_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmorrisn699a (see edit history)