Help Restoring a 31 Chrysler CM6

Guest 1931CM6

Guest 1931CM6

Hello

New to this site and wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help.

I have been around cars all my life have been an automotive instructor and mechanic to pay the bills. I have owned many old cars mainly muscle cars from the 60's & early 70's. So I know my way around a car and building them, or rebuilding them anyway.

I picked up this Chrysler coupe about a year ago and this will be my first pre-war restroration. I have been looking for parts at local swap meets but can't find a few things for it, and I thought it was hard finding parts to restore a 62 Dodge.

Anyway a bit about the car, I bought it about a year ago it is in good shape but missing many parts as someone started to turn it into a hotrod at one point then either ran out of money or lost interest. When I got the car is was missing the rumble seat lid, all the fenders, running boards, grill and most of the interior. The body was cut to lower it on the frame, the front of the frame had been hacked up so a ford model A axle could be installed using a single spring center mount, the rear axle had been swapped for a chevy axle. And the doors that came with it looked correct untill I tried to place them on the car and they were to short and the body line wasn't correct, turns out they were from a Ford.

I have collected a few parts I need but I'm missing a few major parts as well. I want to get started on this resto but I do not want to get started only to find I can't find the parts needed to restore her. I have found running boards and front fenders and head light bar and lights (the guy was hot rodding one and didn't want the fenders, fool) I didn't get the rears because he had cut them in half to "bob" them (double fool) I found a rumble seat lid off a 31 Plymouth that fits, and a front seat out of a 30 Plymouth.

So for my needs:

- Doors are the major deal for me. I don't even want to start this resto without the doors because I can't find anyplace that has them, not even a good lead on some.

- Grill shell is a close second, I would start the resto without this because I think this could be found alot easier than the doors.

- Rear fenders, again not as big of a deal because I think I can make these if need be.

- Front and rear axles. I found a full rolling chassis for a 1929 Plymouth but I'm not sure how it will match up to the Chrysler. It has the axles, 4 cylinder engine, wood spoke wheels, all in restorable shape. I think it looks like a 31 chassis but the guy says it's a 29. Anyway does anyone know if these axles will work?

Questions:

1. What year and models doors can work for this Chrysler? The plymouth doors look about the same from the cars I have seen a shows but Dodge a bit off.

2. Will the axles from the Plymouth work. I think the gear ratio would be off between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder car?

3. What rear fenders will work?

4. What year grill shells will work? I know it would have to be Chrysler but is a 30 and 31 the same?

I live in the middle of lower Michigan is anyone reasonalbly close to me that may have parts?

Thanks

Edited by 1931CM6 (see edit history)

Guest monc440

Good luck on doors. I have been trying to find a driver side coupe door for a couple of years now.

There was a guy on here that lives in Indianna I think his name was Pat Dolan, he had a bunch of early mopar stuff but can find him now.

What is was told was Plymouth/Desoto/Chrysler doors are close enough to work but Dodge doors will not work.

Good luck on doors. I have been trying to find a driver side coupe door for a couple of years now.

There was a guy on here that lives in Indianna I think his name was Pat Dolan, he had a bunch of early mopar stuff but can find him now.

What is was told was Plymouth/Desoto/Chrysler doors are close enough to work but Dodge doors will not work.

Correct. Also, the rear fenders from a Plymouth and DeSoto coupe will work. The grill shell will be Chrysler only as the others are nowhere near to being correct. I have a 1931 CM6 rear axle housing with axles if you need them. John

Guest 1931CM6

Thanks for the info.

I found a guy that has a 29 Plymouth frame with front and rear axles intact. Can you tell me if they will work? Also found a set of 31 Chrysler 4 door sadan rear fenders, can you tell me if they are the same as CM6? They look correct to me but I don't have old ones to check them against.

I found a 34 Chrysler grill but looking at pics online I think that is differant than 31.

Edited by 1931CM6 (see edit history)