Film Type Honeycomb Radiator Cores

Guest vintage honeycomb

Guest vintage honeycomb

Hello from down under, Greg in Brisbane Australia. www.ftrs.com.au

Well, after lurking in the background for a while I thought I would join the forum and say hi to those who have commented about Honeycomb radiators recently. I am the Australian manufacturer of Honeycomb Cores mentioned on occassions.

Yes, there is a 23 minute film showing me making a 1930 Buick core from flat 6 thou copper to the fitted core, it can be found at........ Fuel Tank and Radiator Service - Making a core

Yes, these radiators are expensive, they always have been. Why was it Henry Ford never used honeycomb cores in any of his cars, they were expensive in 1910 just as they are now!

Watch the video and you will come to understand what's involved in making a core which will last 70 to 80 years. Unlike the original my cores are cleanable, the tanks can be removed and the core cleaned should it be required in 30 years, you don't throw it away like the original.

There is an online Price Estimator where you can price your own core online, don't forget the price is in Australian dollars plus freight.

Fuel Tank and Radiator Service - Honeycomb Core Price Estimator

Enjoy the video and drop me a line sometime to say hi. The history of the Honeycomb machinery is on my home page near the 1926 Packard.

Greg.

Guest vintage honeycomb

Thanks John, I was recieving emails after people watched the video so thought I may go public. Thanks for your encouraging words. Yes it was a challenge to restore and have this machinery producing cores again. Even to the point of having the copper made in Sweden to my own specifications.

I am lucky to have a very understanding engineer who worked with me on the project for 18 months. The first time he saw the unrestored machinery he asked "why bother, I can make a new machine to do the job easier than mucking about with this old junk!". I am glad he hung in there and stuck with me.

Cheers Greg

Guest bofusmosby

Greg

Thank you for posting the link with the videos. Now I can understand their expense in making them. I noticed that on my 37 Pontiac, I do not have a honeycomb Radiator. Does this mean that someone had replaced it before with a newer type, and what year did they start making the modern type of radiators for cars?

Guest vintage honeycomb

Jim, thanks for your comments. In my experience and my own opinion is honeycomb tended to fade away when the next step in "cooling evolution", the cellular core came along. Which was about the same time they placed the radiator behind a decorative grille.

This varies but I generally consider this to be about the mid 1930's as a broad statement.

An interesting thought comes with that statement, the new cellular cores must have been able to cope with a grille interupting the airflow through the core.

I generally say honeycomb from about 1910 through to about the mid to late 1930's then cellular through to the mid 1960's, then "CT" (composite type) cores until alloy and plastic took over.

Cartridge cores had their place in more expensive vehicles like the Rolls Royce and curved radiators such as Vauxhall etc.

I think there will be a market for honeycomb cores for a while yet!

Greg

I watched your video Greg and have to take my hat off to you for your effort in continuing this type of business. It is obvious that you are a craftsman and have committed a lot of time, money and effort to help us restorers keep our old cars running. It's nice to know where we can go, when you need this sort of rebuild as the number of people doing this is few and far between.